• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Is it possible you have a rear tire that is out of balance. With what you have done already you should be good to go.

Out Cadillac has a slight vibration around 65 through 80 and it settles out.
    Originally it was a tremor at those speeds. Turns out CKW went pot hole plowing and bent a wheel. I sourced a direct replacement and it was real good until I noticed this. I am betting she whacked another wheel.
    Not impossible. I have a spare set of wheels that I can put on, but the tires on said wheels I wouldn't trust past 10mph lol. I'll find some el-cheapo tires for those wheels (this was a plan because I wanted burnout/donut tires anyway).
    I am confident that it's not the tires - those tires are nearly brand new and it did this with the last set of tires. I am mildly confident that it's not the wheels, because I have swapped wheels from front to back before. But, it would be easy enough to check.

Actually, the wife's Juke has the same bolt pattern, and I really want to see what her car would look like with my wheels before we get rid of it, so I might just swap her known good wheels/tires with mine lmao.

Another thing I hadn't thought about - I DO have those el-cheapo wheel spacers on the front and rear. Maybe that's causing an issue? Unfortunately, I can't run these wheels without the spacers on the wheels. But I can run the wife's wheels with and without those spacers to narrow down if that's a potential issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not impossible. I have a spare set of wheels that I can put on, but the tires on said wheels I wouldn't trust past 10mph lol. I'll find some el-cheapo tires for those wheels (this was a plan because I wanted burnout/donut tires anyway).
    I am confident that it's not the tires - those tires are nearly brand new and it did this with the last set of tires. I am mildly confident that it's not the wheels, because I have swapped wheels from front to back before. But, it would be easy enough to check.

Actually, the wife's Juke has the same bolt pattern, and I really want to see what her car would look like with my wheels before we get rid of it, so I might just swap her known good wheels/tires with mine lmao.

Another thing I hadn't thought about - I DO have those el-cheapo wheel spacers on the front and rear. Maybe that's causing an issue? Unfortunately, I can't run these wheels without the spacers on the wheels. But I can run the wife's wheels with and without those spacers to narrow down if that's a potential issue.
    Yes. The spacers can cause many issues.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Yes. The spacers can cause many issues.
    I don't mind buying higher koality spacers this year if I do find out they are the culprit. I torque my wheels the same each time, but since they are aluminum I guess they could microscopically compress in a non-even way? idk. Maybe they're just garbage because well.... it was $20 for two.

I had an.... interesting weekend. Drove to the north side for a LAN party on Friday night (a bunch of nerds got together with computers and played video games until 6am).
    Took the Mustang. On my way home Saturday afternoon, the car sounded like garbage. Couldn't quite tell if it was down a cylinder or had garbage fuel pressure. Figured I would fill up at the first station just to be sure.
    While filling up, I popped the hood to find that one of my plug wires had fallen on the header and was burned through. Misfire found. Checked inside to see if they had zip-ties or duct-tape to help keep the wires off the header for the drive home. No go.
    Left the station, got onto the on-ramp, matted it in second and MAN it felt good, right up until 40, which I have learned is when the hood will launch straight up when the hood pins are not present, split in half because it's already in bad shape, sending the top half of the hood into the atmosphere while you pull to the side of the road with the lower half of the hood blocking your view.

The walk of shame getting the hood was honestly kinda funny.

So now I'm zip-tieing the hood back onto the car. Good times.

And then today, on my way down to Columbus, the SAME FREAKING BRAKE LOCKED UP ON MY TRUCK AFTER I LITERALLY JUST REPLACED THE EFFING PADS ON THURSDAY.
    I whacked it with a sledge hammer and drove it an hour back home, then an hour west, and an hour back, and it has been fine the entire time.
    I. Don't. Under. Stand. /rant

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don't mind buying higher koality spacers this year if I do find out they are the culprit. I torque my wheels the same each time, but since they are aluminum I guess they could microscopically compress in a non-even way? idk. Maybe they're just garbage because well.... it was $20 for two.

I had an.... interesting weekend. Drove to the north side for a LAN party on Friday night (a bunch of nerds got together with computers and played video games until 6am).
    Took the Mustang. On my way home Saturday afternoon, the car sounded like garbage. Couldn't quite tell if it was down a cylinder or had garbage fuel pressure. Figured I would fill up at the first station just to be sure.
    While filling up, I popped the hood to find that one of my plug wires had fallen on the header and was burned through. Misfire found. Checked inside to see if they had zip-ties or duct-tape to help keep the wires off the header for the drive home. No go.
    Left the station, got onto the on-ramp, matted it in second and MAN it felt good, right up until 40, which I have learned is when the hood will launch straight up when the hood pins are not present, split in half because it's already in bad shape, sending the top half of the hood into the atmosphere while you pull to the side of the road with the lower half of the hood blocking your view.

The walk of shame getting the hood was honestly kinda funny.

So now I'm zip-tieing the hood back onto the car. Good times.

And then today, on my way down to Columbus, the SAME FREAKING BRAKE LOCKED UP ON MY TRUCK AFTER I LITERALLY JUST REPLACED THE EFFING PADS ON THURSDAY.
    I whacked it with a sledge hammer and drove it an hour back home, then an hour west, and an hour back, and it has been fine the entire time.
    I. Don't. Under. Stand. /rant
    I need to see a picture of this car, so many things dancing through my brain.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It's better than I was picturing with that description you just gave. Lol
    That is pre my-hood-flew-off-and-broke-into-two-separate-pieces but it still looks basically the same, with just like 50 more zip-ties criss-crossed all over the outside of the hood.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is nuts how the race over there. But it works.

The entire crew, spectators etc block the freeway to let the race happen. Then everyone just drives away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, a hood splitting in two and then being zip-tied back on can spark many images in the imagination.
    I have done this same thing. But the hood stayed on the car just buried in the windshield.
    65 Chevell with a snorkel hood over the tunnel ram. Drag car that I tuned several times a season for the guys that ran it. He was in the shop to see the outcome of a cam swap upgrade I did on the 383 stroker.
    It sounded viscous so we figured a short roll in it up to the corner for a 12 pack was in order.

He closed the hood but failed to pin it un beknownst to me. I was driving and of course the burn out followed by a redline 1st gear pull was a natural. As I put it in 2nd the hood slammed the wind shield and blocked my view. Scared the crap out of us.
    We still got the 12-er but it was not as near enjoyable.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I have done this same thing. But the hood stayed on the car just buried in the windshield.
    65 Chevell with a snorkel hood over the tunnel ram. Drag car that I tuned several times a season for the guys that ran it. He was in the shop to see the outcome of a cam swap upgrade I did on the 383 stroker.
    It sounded viscous so we figured a short roll in it up to the corner for a 12 pack was in order.

He closed the hood but failed to pin it un beknownst to me. I was driving and of course the burn out followed by a redline 1st gear pull was a natural. As I put it in 2nd the hood slammed the wind shield and blocked my view. Scared the crap out of us.
    We still got the 12-er but it was not as near enjoyable.
    I'm lucky that mine was fiberglass, so all it did was jack up the cowl and break part of the wiper mechanism.

Top Bottom