Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I figure it's time I replace my 15 year old tires on the Bird. It's a shame cause they still have tons of tread left but age is age. Is there a trust worthy tire shop around Indy(westside) that won't tear up the wheels?

The wheels are higher end and the last time I used a chain store they boogered up a wheel bad enough it had to be sent out to be refinished. Then the wheel came back clear coated instead of raw polished aluminum so it had to sent off again. Then on the 3rd try the shop stuck a pry bar through the sidewall of the tire. I really don't to go through that kind of mess again LOL.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I figure it's time I replace my 15 year old tires on the Bird. It's a shame cause they still have tons of tread left but age is age. Is there a trust worthy tire shop around Indy(westside) that won't tear up the wheels?

The wheels are higher end and the last time I used a chain store they boogered up a wheel bad enough it had to be sent out to be refinished. Then the wheel came back clear coated instead of raw polished aluminum so it had to sent off again. Then on the 3rd try the shop stuck a pry bar through the sidewall of the tire. I really don't to go through that kind of mess again LOL.
    Good luck! I took my $650/ wheels to have my tires mounted and they told me they wouldn't guarantee wheels above a couple hundred bucks per. When I picked them up they said "no problems"! The tires I had mounted on the wheels were shipped in individual boxes so when I picked everything up everything was boxed up and out of sight. I only inspected one or two when I got home. Several months later I unboxed all of them and that's when I saw the HUGE gouge in one wheel where they'd spun the center cone off the wheel when they were taking it off the balancing machine. I'm not saying it was Big O in Mooresville but I wouldn't take anything other than lawnmower tires to Big O in Mooresville.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The upholstery shop called me yesterday evening; :rockwoot: "The Galaxie is done!" Not so fast pilgrim. I bought the wrong windshield gasket.:wallbash: Found one online, called them and they said they could have it to me by Friday.:rockwoot: Of course the way UPS/FEDEX is out here it'll be late but we're out of town most of the day anyway to pick up the racecar transmission from the transmission God.:rockwoot: It'll probably be Tuesday before we get the Galaxie back now. I offered to go and get it if it was in their way but they said no problem so that's a bit of a relief.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The upholstery shop called me yesterday evening; :rockwoot: "The Galaxie is done!" Not so fast pilgrim. I bought the wrong windshield gasket.:wallbash: Found one online, called them and they said they could have it to me by Friday.:rockwoot: Of course the way UPS/FEDEX is out here it'll be late but we're out of town most of the day anyway to pick up the racecar transmission from the transmission God.:rockwoot: It'll probably be Tuesday before we get the Galaxie back now. I offered to go and get it if it was in their way but they said no problem so that's a bit of a relief.

Wow, that seems fast. Was it just the headliner or did they do the entire interior?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Marwood tire.
    Tracey will say yah or Nay as if they will do it. Big Chris in the shop is a racer and pure car guy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sweet. Progress.

I dug out my old welder today. Having sold the newer one with the attitude I was done with fabrication and the need of a high end welder. Well go figure.
    Anyway after 8 years or so of sitting in the corner it came right to life. Only issue was a leak on the cooling pump. Now mind you I put this together years and years ago from a bit of this and some of that. It was always reliable and once I mastered it the welds were pretty nice.
    I have the drag link tacked together. It’s fit up and the geometry is right.
    tomorrow I will finish it up.
    Once that is all bolted up I go get my buddy’s cherry picker because I sold mine with the same stupid attitude I had with my good Lincoln SineWave but I have no spare hoist.
    go figure.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Sweet. Progress.

I dug out my old welder today. Having sold the newer one with the attitude I was done with fabrication and the need of a high end welder. Well go figure.
    Anyway after 8 years or so of sitting in the corner it came right to life. Only issue was a leak on the cooling pump. Now mind you I put this together years and years ago from a bit of this and some of that. It was always reliable and once I mastered it the welds were pretty nice.
    Once that is all bolted up I go get my buddy’s cherry picker because I sold mine with the same stupid attitude I had with my good Lincoln SineWave but I have no spare hoist.
    go figure.

On the plus side, all of those times that you probably loaned out tools, and never should have, are now all coming back to you the karma stream. :)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sweet. Progress.

go figure.

I'm sure it's not just me but I can almost hear a calmer, more focused Mouse since you started digging into this project. It helps A LOT to concentrate on something insulated from all of the bullshitt hat surrounds us every day!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    How many power numbers would you guess you would pick up on a 11:1-ish 540hp LS3 crate engine going from 87 pump gas to 116 race fuel?
    I think I've heard Jeremy at Fasterproms say something like 40 hp with E-85. E is about 107 octane. But make sure it's not leaded or it can clog your converter.

EDIT: That was probably on a boosted engine.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I think I've heard Jeremy at Fasterproms say something like 40 hp with E-85. E is about 107 octane. But make sure it's not leaded or it can clog your converter.

EDIT: That was probably on a boosted engine.

Yeah I should’ve specified that this is an NA engine. We know the benefits of E in boost applications.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    How many power numbers would you guess you would pick up on a 11:1-ish 540hp LS3 crate engine going from 87 pump gas to 116 race fuel?
    87 octane at 11:1 is hard to imagine being tuned to make good power. So I would say a fuel change without tune change wouldn't produce great results

I would imagine the timing is really conservative, so that change alone with increased octane would increase hp.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom