• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How far below the connectors does it hang in the circled area?

View attachment 199315
    I know I'm just looking at pics, but it sure seems like you could salvage some of the old system and just move them up to where I mentioned earlier, just tuck em up and it shouldn't be far below the connectors. You could go to oval pipe in the tight area to save a little, but I'm sure that stuff is pretty pricey.

You must have this thing slammed, my 3rd gen was low and my exhaust was just under the connectors and never had any issues.
    We're thinking pretty much the same way. When I saw this picture I thought just move the mufflers forward. Notch the floor to allow the mufflers to stay tucked up to the height they are at in the picture. Looks like most of the notch would be behind the battery and seat mounts based on what I see in the pictures.
    I mentioned oval tubing as an option yesterday but you're probably right, it could be kind of pricey.

FE- ho low do you plan on this car sitting? Will the headers sit lower than the transmission?

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Hell I don't think I would even worry about notching the floor. How thick are the mufflers, 4-4.5", that would only be 1.5" or so below the connectors. Mine were more than that and I never scraped them. I did avoid speed bumps though.

I can't wait to see how low this thing is going to sit.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking put the mufflers somewhere like this...but upon closer review, making pockets for the mufflers there may interfere with what looks like seat belt mounting holes.

With only 3" ground clearance on our drag car it makes me glad we have fender exit headers (with "mufflers")
    129532-3d544b99a9133f40a7e4e834787c025c~2.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hell I don't think I would even worry about notching the floor. How thick are the mufflers, 4-4.5", that would only be 1.5" or so below the connectors. Mine were more than that and I never scraped them.

I can't wait to see how low this thing is going to sit.
    I agree he said 4" thick on the mufflers. If the rear sits any higher than the front giving any rake, it shouldn't ever be a problem. If hell bent on keeping mufflers tucked up I would be looking at some round race mufflers provided some would meet the noise requirements

I can't wait to see it on the ground

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I agree he said 4" thick on the mufflers. If the rear sits any higher than the front giving any rake, it shouldn't ever be a problem. If hell bent on keeping mufflers tucked up I would be looking at some round race mufflers provided some would meet the noise requirements

I can't wait to see it on the ground
    I ran a round magnaflow on mine and they get pretty big before they start doing a decent job. I think mine was 6" and it was still pretty loud at wide open, I don't think I was anywhere near the HP's FM is going to be.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I ran a round magnaflow on mine and they get pretty big before they start doing a decent job. I think mine was 6" and it was still pretty loud at wide open, I don't think I was anywhere near the HP's FM is going to be.
    I don't even know what brand ours are. They were picked out for us when we had the chassis shop make the headers. I can't say that our do anything to reduce noise. 6" in/out and about the size of a big coffee can.
    Options get limited when they have to actually reduce noise

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    New bushing picked up. It's definitely magnetic... For $3 idk if I should care. And I'm just trying to dial in wtf is wrong with this thing. It all comes apart again for an engine swap-a-roo of sorts.

Trans is out. I don't have a clutch alignment tool, but I pulled the input shaft from the trans. It felt sloppy to me; unfortunately, I have no idea how much slop there *should* be.

Used bread to get the pilot bearing out, but there's still the main shell and it ain't coming out without a slide tool. Of course I find this out 5 minutes before the parts store closes.

Gonna rent a slide tool tomorrow. Also pick up a new rear main seal (idk why since I'm gonna have the pan off in less than a month anyway) and some atf since I drained the trans before pulling it this time.

Oh, will see if they, by some miracle, have a clutch alignment tool.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You should've gotten a clutch alignment tool when you replaced the clutch. If you don't have it anymore, I could send you one. Probably wouldn't see it till Wednesday though

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    You should've gotten a clutch alignment tool when you replaced the clutch. If you don't have it anymore, I could send you one. Probably wouldn't see it till Wednesday though
    Well that was like 4 years ago. And annoyingly enough, I don't think it came with one then, either. I specifically remember that being a problem for us haha.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well that was like 4 years ago. And annoyingly enough, I don't think it came with one then, either. I specifically remember that being a problem for us haha.
    This is a tool every box needs. I have one with several bushings and such to fit most any application. It was not cheap but when you need one then you need it. Now.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    This is a tool every box needs. I have one with several bushings and such to fit most any application. It was not cheap but when you need one then you need it. Now.
    I didn't even know that was a thing.
    I did look online and supposedly the local three have them. The question is: will they actually be in stock? Brb, gonna go look.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    New bushing picked up. It's definitely magnetic... For $3 idk if I should care. And I'm just trying to dial in wtf is wrong with this thing. It all comes apart again for an engine swap-a-roo of sorts.

Trans is out. I don't have a clutch alignment tool, but I pulled the input shaft from the trans. It felt sloppy to me; unfortunately, I have no idea how much slop there *should* be.

Used bread to get the pilot bearing out, but there's still the main shell and it ain't coming out without a slide tool. Of course I find this out 5 minutes before the parts store closes.

Gonna rent a slide tool tomorrow. Also pick up a new rear main seal (idk why since I'm gonna have the pan off in less than a month anyway) and some atf since I drained the trans before pulling it this time.

Oh, will see if they, by some miracle, have a clutch alignment tool.
    I've got a clutch tool somewhere, if you can't find one let me know and I can bring it by this afternoon and pick it up later this week. For some reason I think you're in the Greenwood area so that's in my realm.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The seat and battery mounts are barely an inch above the floor so not a lot of return on investment there. The same with moving the mufflers forward and notching.

How low? Something close to these two:View attachment 199370View attachment 199371
    Those sit low but looks to me the headers on the white car are the lowest point.
    I think you maybe over thinking the ground clearance just a little.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The seat and battery mounts are barely an inch above the floor so not a lot of return on investment there. The same with moving the mufflers forward and notching.

How low? Something close to these two:View attachment 199370View attachment 199371
    Those are low, but I think they have plenty of room if you keep them towards the back. I don't think they will be lower than the white cars exhaust.

If you're not married to the flowmaster, magnaflow makes an X pipe muffler combo that a guy at work ran on his car. That would save some room.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I've got a clutch tool somewhere, if you can't find one let me know and I can bring it by this afternoon and pick it up later this week. For some reason I think you're in the Greenwood area so that's in my realm.
    Indeed I am. I'll let ya know what I find.

Top Bottom