• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You will be hard pressed to warp the head. Remember your brazing skills and keep it moving.

You tube.

Here is something I have found. If the bolts are flush or just a couple threads recessed use a small carbide burr and very gently knock of the first couple aluminum threads. They tend to be full of carbon from the exhaust leak. Makes the bolts turn and come out easier. Super common problem on Ford 4.6s.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here is something I have found. If the bolts are flush or just a couple threads recessed use a small carbide burr and very gently knock of the first couple aluminum threads. They tend to be full of carbon from the exhaust leak. Makes the bolts turn and come out easier. Super common problem on Ford 4.6s.

If memory serves you posted up some pics about this.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If memory serves you posted up some pics about this.

Yep
    Well I took the pics but you helped me get them posted up.
    I really works well. Many of the guys I work with have started foing it and have svaed themselves some head aches. Seen many guys drill the bolt and put an easy out in and the bolt starts to turn but locks up in thosr carboned threads and next thing you know they are throwing tools moaning & groaning about breaking an easy out off in the bolt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep
    I really works well. Many of the guys I work with have started foing it and have svaed themselves some head aches. Seen many guys drill the bolt and put an easy out in and the bolt starts to turn but locks up in thosr carboned threads and next thing you know they are throwing tools moaning & groaning about breaking an easy out off in the bolt.

The son in law is bringing his 71 Buick back to life. We pulled the engine out so he could do the bay. There were a few broken bolts in the manifold from God only knows what. It took some time/effort to get them out.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yep

So I just drop them off at your place? Sounds great!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The heads from my engine are the exact same so they’ll bolt on, assuming of course I don’t break half the bolts off of that one too. Wouldn’t break my heart to get a peak at the cylinders anyway.

Get the valves attended to before you swap heads out. They are miled out. 170+ is a lot of miles. Just get them done and be confident.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom