• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Been working away at CP’s old engine. This thing is just a peach! Super clean inside. I ran a CLT before pulling it down, discovered the valves needed some work. Tried lapping them out, intakes came out perfect, but the exhausts were badly eroded. Got lucky and got some help from a friend who has a valve grinder. Put a fresh surface on the exhausts and I’m super happy. Got the springs all dressed, got the installed heights checked and shims laid out. Threw the springs in the vibrator for 24 hours to polish them up. Once you find a process that works, you don’t deviate from it unless you find a better way.

2v01wz6.jpg

whjp15.jpg

rwq3on.jpg

nofoy9.jpg

xbn0jd.jpg

i5bx5g.jpg

35i96v9.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Trans out or trans stays. Both options have pros and cons. Both have obstacles associated with them.

I never pull one without the trans coming with it. To damned hard to wrestle it out and it "WILL NOT HANG IN THE TRUCK WITHOUT THE ENGINE" unless you rig something up to support it. Lotsa luck with that.
    Just pull the D-Shaft, drop the cross member and drag it out. Do you have a tip tool. If not come and get mine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Leave it in. Don’t take out more than you need to. Throw a couple bolts in the bellhousing and let it rest on top of a bar running from frame rail to frame rail.

Ugh. You youngin's are gluten's for punishment. Do a full service with the seals while it is out. If you dont I will laugh at you later.....Or not...:):
    Remember the trans has as many miles on it as the engine with far less service being done on it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ugh. You youngin's are gluten's for punishment. Do a full service with the seals while it is out. If you dont I will laugh at you later.....Or not...:):
    Remember the trans has as many miles on it as the engine with far less service being done on it.
    Haha. At his mileage, he’ll be needing a rebuild shortly anyway... Mine is getting there at 185k, won’t be long...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 64 is still in storage. Finding a dependable flat bed operator is difficult at best.
    My son left the company he was with so my ties there are tedious at best right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom