• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I think the fact that government budgets decreasing has little to do with benevolence to tax payers and everthing to do with tax caps and fear of public OUTRAGE!

I think what he is pointing out is that town services such as police are still covering their end with less money or resources. I know in my town that they have less officers now on the payroll than a few years ago.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think what he is pointing out is that town services such as police are still covering their end with less money or resources. I know in my town that they have less officers now on the payroll than a few years ago.

And what I'm pointing out is that they would continue to raise taxes to maintain their budget if it were not for proprerty tax caps and fear of a major public backlash. You ever met a bureaucrat that willingly cut their budget?

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Public Servant - I'm not worth anything to you because you don't have to pay for me to be around every year until (and if the article is true) and after I retire. You're fortunate that I'm not worth anything to you.

You are worth something to me (in a strictly monetary sense) because your job siphons tax dollars from me every time I purchase a new t-shirt or pair of socks, or do anything else with my money.

Everyone is getting all +1 to you for calling me worthless, but why? All I said was that when you're employed by the city/state/fed you shouldn't expect to live like a king. You should expect to live like a peasant. When your job title is a public SERVANT, you should have to live on a servant's salary. You guys bring in no money for this state or country. And for everyone who says that LE usher in the environment of free trade and prosperity, this has never happened for me. I've never been in the checkout lane at Target, had a group of bandits stroll in to interrupt our way of life, only to be thwarted by the local LE. I do see, on a most regular basis, LE riding other cars ***** trying to get them to speed, so they can pull them over. LE not using their turn signals, LE speeding just because they can, and all sorts of other abuses of the power we've entrusted unto them. LE as a whole idea MIGHT create a more peaceful environment, but all I see locally is them flying around without using turn signals. If you ask me, that actually creates a much more dangerous place than before.

Public servants should live like servants, you can't argue with that.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Regarding all of Lashicon's posts: They have been some of the dumbest things I have seen on this site. I would be offended if the arguments held any water. I don't expect ANY working man or woman to live like "a peasant". As pointed out earlier, public workers have salaries decided by budgets which are appropriated by the people we all elect. We are certainly not living like kings. I would try to correct your point of view, lashicon, but YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.

Also, being of Norse lineage I hope you are just hijacking the viking ship for your Avatar and not actually one of us. But there was a village idiot who disappeared from Arendal years ago, so there is always the possibility.........

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Regarding all of Lashicon's posts: They have been some of the dumbest things I have seen on this site. I would be offended if the arguments held any water. I don't expect ANY working man or woman to live like "a peasant". As pointed out earlier, public workers have salaries decided by budgets which are appropriated by the people we all elect. We are certainly not living like kings. I would try to correct your point of view, lashicon, but YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.

Also, being of Norse lineage I hope you are just hijacking the viking ship for your Avatar and not actually one of us. But there was a village idiot who disappeared from Arendal years ago, so there is always the possibility.........
    Try the "Ignore" feature. It helps keep your blood pressure down. :D
    At least it does for me.
    Mike

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i believe that LEO's should be some of the highest paid possitions there are. we need to make it attractive to upstanding citizens, as well as reward them for the desire to help others. at the same time I think when you offer a possition more money then there needs to be proper oversight to make sure that your getting the highest standards from all your employees. but at the same time politics needs to get the F out of law enforcement and allow the guy on the street to do his damn job without a buricrat up his azz 24 hours a day for no reason other than to be a dick.
    Give LEO's the Best training, give LEO's the best pay, give LEO's the best retirement and health benefits, make LEO's truely work with the people of the community the work in and get to know them on a personal level. humanize each other, and it will work better. Happy and personable cops = happy citizens in my opinion. if your willing to die for me then i think you should have a VERY comfortable lifestyle. F the Pacers and the Colts, give all that money to the LEO on the street.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Denny, I believe the article was referring to jobs in those states where there are serious issues. Compare your pay/benefits to an officer in CA, NJ or NY where the pay/benefits packages is much better.

Here in Indiana we have had a reasonable level of fiscal restraint and that has been top down and bottom up. Our government is not like that of NY were there are over 8000 subway/transit workers making over $100,000 per year.

Thats living in poverty in New York.Seriously

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    i believe that LEO's should be some of the highest paid possitions there are. we need to make it attractive to upstanding citizens, as well as reward them for the desire to help others. at the same time I think when you offer a possition more money then there needs to be proper oversight to make sure that your getting the highest standards from all your employees. but at the same time politics needs to get the F out of law enforcement and allow the guy on the street to do his damn job without a buricrat up his azz 24 hours a day for no reason other than to be a dick.
    Give LEO's the Best training, give LEO's the best pay, give LEO's the best retirement and health benefits, make LEO's truely work with the people of the community the work in and get to know them on a personal level. humanize each other, and it will work better. Happy and personable cops = happy citizens in my opinion. if your willing to die for me then i think you should have a VERY comfortable lifestyle. F the Pacers and the Colts, give all that money to the LEO on the street.
    And that is one of the primary reasons for most of the "Officer Attitude" complaints.
    The main reason that I retired when I did was the :poop: coming from the Political types.
    Given good training and proper guidance most Police Departments would be seen as what they are.
    Defenders of the Citizenry.
    Mike

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Agreed. That "individual" has been on my ignore list for the past couple weeks.
    You and I have disagreed in the past, and likely will do so again.
    But maintaining civility, as you have done with me, keeps tempers down and promotes healthy discussions.
    My :twocents: on the subject.:)
    Mike

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    You should expect to live like a peasant.

Sure.:rolleyes:
    Good luck keeping well trained and motivated people on the job then.

You guys bring in no money for this state or country.

My job may not bring in money, but the other firefighters and EMTs I work with have saved peoples lives. I could be wrong, but to the families of those people the tax may have been worth it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You should expect to live like a peasant. When your job title is a public SERVANT, you should have to live on a servant's salary.

So based on that reasoning professional athletes shouldn't be paid anything to play games. My daughter loves playing games but she doesn't make a dime for doing so. The same should go for adults that do nothing but go out and kick, throw, hit, or dribble a ball as their "profession."

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    My job may not bring in money, but the other firefighters and EMTs I work with have saved peoples lives. I could be wrong, but to the families of those people the tax may have been worth it.
    That doesn't count, peasant. ;)

I swear to God I don't know where people come up spewing the crap that they do. Like I said...buy them for what they're worth and sell them for what they think they're worth.

Public servants are just that...servants to the public. They should also be allowed to earn a decent living...rather than survive merely when someone decides to throw them a crumb.

You and I have our differences of opinion. One of these days I'll convince you not to judge all people by the way a small minority act. These small minorities exist in every profession. I am one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. My father and my mother taught me to be polite and respectful. My boss also insists on it.

But I will assure you that when it's time to pull off the kid gloves...they come off. Nothing I do is personal...it's all business. I don't pull any cheap shots after the fact. When it's done it's done. No hard feelings and no grudges. I've been kicked, spit on...had crap thrown at me, bitten and stabbed. And never once have I raised a hand in anger or retaliation. It was all business.

I agree with most of what you say here....with the exception of the pay. Hell...sure I'd love to knock down $150K a year. But it's not going to happen. I know this...I've known it since I entered this field in the late 1990's. All I expected was to make enough money to have a simple house...a car and a couple of kids. Health insurance if my wife or kids get sick and retire once the house is paid for and not have to eat dog food to survive. When the house is paid for in 16 years...I might make that. We'll have to see how many more times the economy blasts my retirement though.

I go to work every day and I have the respect of the people that serve under me. I also feel I have the respect of the people I interact with. I don't demand it...I work hard to earn it. It's always ma'am and sir. Please and thank you. I know the difference between the majority of the people I deal with and myself is about 6 month's pay. If I go without that...I don't know what I'd do to survive...but I would survive. Whatever it would take.

One other thing you said I agree with. Take the politics out of my job. I hate trying to please politicians. You never win.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Sure.:rolleyes:
    Good luck keeping well trained and motivated people on the job then.

This is why as a taxpayer I want well funded police, fire and ambulance services. They may be a pain in the butt 364 days in the year but when I need them I want my money's worth.

If we make our first responders live like peasants then we should expect a peasant's response when we call for help.

"Brain Drain" is something that affects a lot of the rural police departments; the ones with only a handful of officers. They hire a guy, pay to put him through the police academy and then once they have that training they apply to the better funded city police departments and they have an edge in the hiring process because they already have the expense of academy training under their belt. They get hired away and the small town P.D. has to start the hiring process all over again. Thus what you will see in a lot (but not all) small town P.D. are rookies and guys that can't get hired anywhere else.

As far as requiring college, I think its a mindset that makes a good officer and college does not neccessarily provide that mindset. There are so many different facets of the job that it really takes a lot of different personality types to do it well. The guy who is best at being the first one through the door when the SWAT/CIRT team serves a felony warrant is not likely to be the best choice to coax a confession out of a child molester and the guy with the skills to get critical information out of a computer hard drive that has been "wiped" may not be the best choice to walk a beat downtown when its 103 degrees outside.

I don't see any cops around where I live getting rich from their police pay and benefits. Most of them work second jobs as house painters, lawn mowers, construction workers and such (there is even a barber) just to make ends meet.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    You and I have disagreed in the past, and likely will do so again.
    But maintaining civility, as you have done with me, keeps tempers down and promotes healthy discussions.
    My :twocents: on the subject.:)
    Mike

Agreed.

I have no problems with disagreement. I do, however, have problems with those engaged in closed mindedness, insults, blatant and willful ignorance, and judgmental mentalities.

None of which I can ever state that I've ever witnessed of you. :)

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    So based on that reasoning professional athletes shouldn't be paid anything to play games. My daughter loves playing games but she doesn't make a dime for doing so. The same should go for adults that do nothing but go out and kick, throw, hit, or dribble a ball as their "profession."

I will state for the record, that I believe that a large number of professional athletes are entirely overpaid.

Its also strange how many schools have the community support to fund their sports programs, but have reduced or eliminated their respective budgets for the Arts. I cannot begin to articulate my contempt for the level of ignorance that such people demonstrate when endorsing such.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I don't see any cops around where I live getting rich from their police pay and benefits. Most of them work second jobs as house painters, lawn mowers, construction workers and such (there is even a barber) just to make ends meet.

Me neither. The only non-admin cop I know who makes even close to 100K has a private security company that he owns/operates on the side. Most work their 40 for the department, then work traffic at the various schools/churches etc a couple of hours a day. Then, they take one or both of their days off and work 8 at a hospital. None of them are looking terribly affluent to me.

Joe

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I will state for the record, that I believe that a large number of professional athletes are entirely overpaid.

Its also strange how many schools have the community support to fund their sports programs, but have reduced or eliminated their respective budgets for the Arts. I cannot begin to articulate my contempt for the level of ignorance that such people demonstrate when endorsing such.

How many people will pay for a ticket to an art show compared to a basketball game or football game? A lot of schools are going to the pay to play idea in a lot of sports.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Just saw a report on the news (FOX) that Government workers make an average of $12 per hour MORE then the private sector (you & me) of the workers in the US. The average for Government workers was $39 PH.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    That doesn't count, peasant. ;)

I swear to God I don't know where people come up spewing the crap that they do. Like I said...buy them for what they're worth and sell them for what they think they're worth.

Public servants are just that...servants to the public. They should also be allowed to earn a decent living...rather than survive merely when someone decides to throw them a crumb.

You and I have our differences of opinion. One of these days I'll convince you not to judge all people by the way a small minority act. These small minorities exist in every profession. I am one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. My father and my mother taught me to be polite and respectful. My boss also insists on it.

But I will assure you that when it's time to pull off the kid gloves...they come off. Nothing I do is personal...it's all business. I don't pull any cheap shots after the fact. When it's done it's done. No hard feelings and no grudges. I've been kicked, spit on...had crap thrown at me, bitten and stabbed. And never once have I raised a hand in anger or retaliation. It was all business.

I agree with most of what you say here....with the exception of the pay. Hell...sure I'd love to knock down $150K a year. But it's not going to happen. I know this...I've known it since I entered this field in the late 1990's. All I expected was to make enough money to have a simple house...a car and a couple of kids. Health insurance if my wife or kids get sick and retire once the house is paid for and not have to eat dog food to survive. When the house is paid for in 16 years...I might make that. We'll have to see how many more times the economy blasts my retirement though.

I go to work every day and I have the respect of the people that serve under me. I also feel I have the respect of the people I interact with. I don't demand it...I work hard to earn it. It's always ma'am and sir. Please and thank you. I know the difference between the majority of the people I deal with and myself is about 6 month's pay. If I go without that...I don't know what I'd do to survive...but I would survive. Whatever it would take.

One other thing you said I agree with. Take the politics out of my job. I hate trying to please politicians. You never win.

Im glad you are out there preotecting us and enforcing the laws!! and Im glad your boss is good too. All I can hope is that new officers look at the example you set and follow it and it continues down the line. We need more and more like you.
    I dont think all are bad at all. but from a citizens point of view (and a citizen who hasnt had problems with police) I can tell you i feel intimidated when i see a police officer. I dont feel the safety and warmth that I should. Thats because i know that there are SOME bad cops and they wear the same kind of uniform and i cant tell them apart from just a look. and since i DO Open Carry everyday to exercise my rights, I feel i do draw attention to myself from an officer. So if I get a 2nd amendment hating officer im boned. Thats why i walk the other way (in a controled manner) when i see a cop. (most are easy to spot in civies too) and I dont interact. Now I have said before i have friends who are police and a family member, and I have no problem interacting with them. I know we have some good LEO's on INGO because i read there post. And im sorry that some of my poste offend you guys. I have tried to stop the blanket statements, but im not perfect, but trying. The "proffession" is under scrutiny though. I know that sometimes that makes it harder for you good officers to do your job, but if the bad apples get tossed out then it should get even better.

Also, Public Servant, I think you should make $100K plus a year. and I think EMS workers should too. When my wife worked on an ambulance, it was REDICULOUS and a slap in the face what they paid her to save lives. She went up the ladder since then, but even she will tell you, now she does less work as a nurse than what she did as a medic. She also had a lot of interactions with police when on the ambulance so I have heard her good and bad stories also. But the point is that you all need more money, and i have tried to talk to elected officials for years and say that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom