• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    What law enforcement produces is an environment where commerce, education and recreation can be freely pursued. If you have ever been in a lawless country, you would see a stark contrast.

What has really disappointed me are the ridiculous claims of huge benefits, health care at no cost and salaries for public sector workers. Those of you who threw out slurs about bribes and theft should be ashamed. Does it happen? Sure. But less often than a private sector worker steals, takes or solicits bribes, etc.

PEOPLE WAKE UP! No one was worried what the public sector worker made until the economy tanked. Then the talking heads on TV decide to to make an US v. THEM story to get some ratings. THe problem is not the wage or benefits of the WORKING TAX PAYING public or private sector person. It is the money going to non-working, non-tax-paying individuals and organizations as "entitlements". This administration is only too happy to see you attack fellow citizens, as long as you do not look behind "the curtain"

To my fellow LEOs and other public sevants. Thank you for all you do, you know your worth and do not need to defend your compensation to people who have no clue and either would or could not do your job.

:+1:
    Mike

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    How much is your life worth? What would you pay to see your child on their first day of school, their baptism, watch them graduate from high school, to get to walk your daughter down the isle, to happily spend the rest of your life with your soul mate, to play with your grandchildren in you lap? Currently the going price for me to sacrafice all the above by placing myself between you and a bullet is $1,138 every two weeks, take home pay. That pay provides a comfortable life for my wife, my 7 month old daughter and myself. Here's the deal, when i became a police officer and took my oath, I wrote a check payable to the citizens of Indianapolis for the amount up to and including my life. I will miss many milestones in my daughter's life because of my career choice, i will do so with the knowledge that when my flesh and bones have turned to dust and my great great grandchildren are threatened by the wolves. One of my brothers who wears a shield will gladly lay down his life to protect her. All this and he will probably never know her name. If you still feel I am excessively re-embursed, I offer you this challenge. Ride along with a police officer in a major metropolitian city. If that doesn't change your mind, well, I still will walk my beat, protect the sheep, hunt the wolf. When the wolf shows his face, to slaughter the flock I will be there, the Sheep dog shall not rest, we shall not falter.

I encourage you to read On Sheep, Wolves and Sheep Dogs.
    Insight into the life of a LEO.

Last edited:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    How much is your life worth? What would you pay to see your child on their first day of school, their baptism, watch them graduate from high school, to get to walk your daughter down the isle, to happily spend the rest of your life with your soul mate, to play with your grandchildren in you lap? Currently the going price for me to sacrafice all the above by placing myself between you and a bullet is $1,138 every two weeks, take home pay. That pay provides a comfortable life for my wife, my 7 month old daughter and myself. Here's the deal, when i became a police officer and took my oath, I wrote a check payable to the citizens of Indianapolis for the amount up to and including my life. I will miss many milestones in my daughter's life because of my career choice, i will do so with the knowledge that when my flesh and bones have turned to dust and my great great grandchildren are threatened by the wolves. One of my brothers who wears a shield will gladly lay down his life to protect her. All this and he will probably never know her name. If you still feel I am excessively re-embursed, I offer you this challenge. Ride along with a police officer in a major metropolitian city. If that doesn't change your mind, well, I still will walk my beat, protect the sheep, hunt the wolf. When the wolf shows his face, to slaughter the flock I will be there, the Sheep dog shall not rest, we shall not falter.

I encourage you to read On Sheep, Wolves and Sheep Dogs.
    Insight into the life of a LEO.
    Another :+1:
    Mike

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    You're worth even less to me.

I think anyone who works in the public sector that's not a politician knows they won't become rich doing so. I know I won't. As in everything else, I'm sure there is always the exception to the rule.

But for you to suggest that anyone who does these jobs should live as a peasant is ridiculous. I should have just considered the source and left it at that. :rolleyes:

Another smoking357...just out to see how much crap he can stir.

:+1: :patriot:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Like I said I'd rather be an honest realist that no one likes, than a dreaming guy everyone likes. The money will eventually run out.

Blow hard huh? I know that I'm not worth that much to this state, monetary wise, but I do make a decent sized donation in a year (tax wise) to the State of Indiana.

But people who create nothing, mine nothing, drill nothing, etc. create zero real revenue for the state of Indiana. The idea of police and other city/state employees paying taxes is laughable when you really think about it. Your employers - "here, have some tax money as payment for being a cop." Later, Cop - "Here employer, here is part of my earnings (tax money) that you give me, you can have some of them back as taxes." Why don't public employees simply take a smaller check to begin with and just not have to pay any taxes? It's all just OUR tax money floating back and forth, causes there to be a city employee to handle all of this tax money going back and forth, therefore causing...MORE TAXES.

My main point is this. People who create or produce things, or pull things out of the Earth to sell, create actual revenue for the state of Indiana

People who don't create/produces or pull things out of the Earth to sell don't create any revenue for the state of Indiana. They are simply just shuffle-boarding our pile of money all around.

And we're supposed to be Capitalists.

The idea that someone does not perform a valuable service just because they work for the government is incorrect. Capitalism would suffer without a government framework within which it could do business. The real question is how much goverment. I think you would be in a very small minority if you are advocating no government at all. Someone has to record deeds for the miners who buy up ground to pull things out of the earth, someone has to settle contract disputes between businesses and somebody has to show up when a thug robs a business.

Are you advocating privitization of law enforcement? Should we have competing police departments offering to sell their services to the masses? Maybe Public Servant could advertise and offer to provide citizen friendly encounters while Frank-N-Stein could put up billboards advertising a no-nonsense zero tolerance approach and let the citizens decide which department to subscribe to? Maybe we'd have competing fire departments and ambulance services, even competing court systems? Meanwhile, because we are capitalists, the poor would get zero law enforceement, except when they crossed paths with a subscriber. What happens if a wealthy subscriber murders a poor person with no subscription for police sevice? I think that this would be chaos.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here's the deal, when i became a police officer and took my oath, I wrote a check payable to the citizens of Indianapolis for the amount up to and including my life. I will miss many milestones in my daughter's life because of my career choice

So will some unfortunate 2nd shift factory workers... :rolleyes:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You're worth even less to me.

I think anyone who works in the public sector that's not a politician knows they won't become rich doing so. I know I won't. As in everything else, I'm sure there is always the exception to the rule.

But for you to suggest that anyone who does these jobs should live as a peasant is ridiculous. I should have just considered the source and left it at that. :rolleyes:

Another smoking357...just out to see how much crap he can stir.

+1.

This whole public servant=millionaire line is simply not true in Indiana. I work in the public sector. I have 7 years worth of undergrad/law school with student loans that reflect that.

For full-time work, I am compensated approximately 52K a year with health benefits that are pathetic at best. I just received an $8000 OUT OF POCKET bill for a broken bone.

Currently, I am probably going to be forced OUT of the public sector into the much higher paying private sector so as to be able to meet my financial obligations.

As someone pointed out above, this only became an issue after much of the private sector tanked and public sector jobs became more stable. This whole thing is ridiculous.

Joe

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    The idea that someone does not perform a valuable service just because they work for the government is incorrect. Capitalism would suffer without a government framework within which it could do business. The real question is how much goverment. I think you would be in a very small minority if you are advocating no government at all. Someone has to record deeds for the miners who buy up ground to pull things out of the earth, someone has to settle contract disputes between businesses and somebody has to show up when a thug robs a business.

Are you advocating privitization of law enforcement? Should we have competing police departments offering to sell their services to the masses? Maybe Public Servant could advertise and offer to provide citizen friendly encounters while Frank-N-Stein could put up billboards advertising a no-nonsense zero tolerance approach and let the citizens decide which department to subscribe to? Maybe we'd have competing fire departments and ambulance services, even competing court systems? Meanwhile, because we are capitalists, the poor would get zero law enforceement, except when they crossed paths with a subscriber. What happens if a wealthy subscriber murders a poor person with no subscription for police sevice? I think that this would be chaos.
    You don't need the state to do perform any of those functions. In fact, you would have much better service in the absence of the state.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    As someone pointed out above, this only became an issue after much of the private sector tanked and public sector jobs became more stable. This whole thing is ridiculous.

Joe

Yeah, the gall of those arsehole taxpayers who are taking paycuts that get pissed of when their taxes go up. The gall of them to expect government to do with less just like they have to.

I guess I could live like the government. Continue on with my standard of living regardless of the amount of income I have coming in.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

I would rep you but I have to spread some first. I can't stand people thinkin they have entitlement because they do a certain job.

If the pay is not enough for you to take a public service job such as police, fire, or EMT then don't do it. A lot of people do the job because they want to serve and protect their community and should be proud of it. In the end 99% of people who are police officers will not have a $50k car and $400K house but that is something you realize when you take the position. There are a lot of great people out there in a generally thankless job who do it for the right reasons. If these people don't report to work every day then society will be in a world of hurt whether any individual wants to admit it or not.

For all the poice, fire, emt, public safety etc. Thanks for doing your job.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

That would be me. The last time my company laid off in my department, they cut out every single person below me and put me on 2nd shift. I've taken a 5% paycut and have no idea how many years i'll have to wait to get on day shift again. My paycut means less revenue to the government in taxes but wait! You think they won't raise taxes to compensate for my 5% cut and all the other taxes that aren't being paid by the millions who are laid off?

You'd think public sector employees who are largely shielded from our current economic crises would would show a little gratitude to those who are struggling themselves but still have to their salaries. Public sector salaries should be subject to current economic times.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Irishfan - exactly! My dad was a Union Carpenter/Dockbuilder in NY for 32 years. HE emigrated fromNOrway in 1958 and built a life on hard work and saving money. He was never rich in money, but comfortable and he was worth every cent he made during his employment and in retirement benefits. The contributions of EVERY working man and woman in this country should not be a point of debate. I believe the workers and tax payers need to focus on eliminating the budget itmes for people who CHOOSE to do nothing, pay no taxes and expect the rest of us will take care of them. Social programs should only be for those who truly cannot take care of themselves and they should be as temporary as possible.

I personally want a flat tax, where everyone pays a flat percentage of their earnings. It would drop taxes of working people and eliminate the IRS. It would be hard on IRS workers and CPA's / tax lawyers but the carnage would be worth the greater good to the rest of our society and those workes effected would have to transition to another sector of the economy.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Yeah, the gall of those arsehole taxpayers who are taking paycuts that get pissed of when their taxes go up. The gall of them to expect government to do with less just like they have to.

I guess I could live like the government. Continue on with my standard of living regardless of the amount of income I have coming in.

You are being more than a little ridiculous.

If the taxpayers want things done differently, then they can elect different people. The voters/taxpayers of this county get exactly the gov't they deserve; they elected it.

I get so sick of people on here whining about the people the CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTY FREAKING ELECTED. If you don't like it, then go work to get someone else elected. Anything else is reeks of the same sense of entitlement that got us to where we are today.

I don't like most of our current gov't any more than you do, in fact I probably like it less. However, I do what I can to change it, I don't come here to complain about everyone who has the GALL to work in the public sector.

BOTTOM LINE: You are not entitled to good government. Having good government requires work. Complaining about government but not working to change it is like complaining about not getting enough welfare while willfully unemployed.

Public sector salaries should be subject to current economic times.

Public sector wages in Indiana are still well below private sector. They are just more stable. How many private attorneys do you know that make under 60K before taxes?

Joe

Last edited:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    How many private attorneys do you know that make under 60K before taxes?

I'm presuming by that, you mean gross individual income. Then to answer, there are a whole number of attorneys that are small business owners, that do not accomplish such an amount.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I'm presuming by that, you mean gross individual income. Then to answer, there are a whole number of attorneys that are small business owners, that do not accomplish such an amount.

Are you talking about solo practitioners? Maybe if you hang your shingle right out of law school with no experience you would be correct, due to overhead, the cost of acquiring clientele, etc. However, if you are still in that boat 2-5 years in, I would be mightily surprised. Additionally, you are building equity in your practice which is easily as important as take home. That is something that a public atty cannot do. If I walk out the door tomorrow, I do so without a single client, support staff, or facility.

Best,

Joe

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville

Well, start looking up the budget info for cities/towns and the respective police dept's that go along with those cities/towns. What you will find is their budgets have decreased and yet are still providing the same services. I know my department is doing the same........with less.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    "Nothing is so permanent as a temporary program". Ronald Reagan

I've tried the ballot box and it doesn't work. Our current form of government is so dead and bloated that it exploded many years ago. You can provide mouth to mouth on that horse if you want. Local governments can't even do anything without sucking on the government teat for grants. This country is f'd from top to bottom and beuaracracy is so entrenched onto the general populace that they wouldn't know liberty if it broke their jaw.

Who is John Galt? Starve the beast.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Are you talking about solo practitioners? Maybe if you hang your shingle right out of law school with no experience you would be correct, due to overhead, the cost of acquiring clientele, etc. However, if you are still in that boat 2-5 years in, I would be mightily surprised. Additionally, you are building equity in your practice which is easily as important as take home. That is something that a public atty cannot do. If I walk out the door tomorrow, I do so without a single client, support staff, or facility.

Best,

Joe

I am not referring of gross business income, rather the amount a sole practitioner of a general practice grosses for their individual income.

No competent business owner would not leave financial equity within their own business, despite the fact that they are the sole individual working within their own office. As such, the net business profit made, isn't necessarily what the individual practitioner brings home.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, start looking up the budget info for cities/towns and the respective police dept's that go along with those cities/towns. What you will find is their budgets have decreased and yet are still providing the same services. I know my department is doing the same........with less.

I think the fact that government budgets decreasing has little to do with benevolence to tax payers and everthing to do with tax caps and fear of public OUTRAGE!

Top Bottom