• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    My 19yo daughter drives a 1959 Apache (her daily driver). She bought it when she was 16. Originally it had 3 on the tree and she learned to drive it. Through the years we have modified the truck and as of now it is an auto, but she says it was more fun to drive as a manual. Incidentally the truck also had a STOMP starter which we kept and the looks she gets from her friends when she can start her truck without turning the key are priceless.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Some ten or twelve years ago, when our kids were getting their license, we made it a requirement that they know how to drive a manual. If you couldn't drive a manual, then you couldn't get your license. The boy had no problems with it, but the girl fussed about it the whole time. Her friends even bugged us about it saying it was unfair and old fashion, useless knowledge, out a date, out of touch.

I never wanted to take a chance of her being out with a guy and her being stranded because he was a jerk and his car was a manual and she couldn't drive it.

Fast forward to today. The girl is married and her husband thanks us for teaching her to drive a manual cause he has her driving their semi, during harvest time.

So see parents can be right sometimes when you're a teenager. :D

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    When I learned to drive I learned how to drive a stick theoretically. I knew what had to be done I had just never done it. My parents bought me junker when I was 16. They took me out to pick it up. It was probably 10 miles or so from the house. We got the keys, they looked at me, said "If you can get it home, it's yours", and then got in their car and drove off. Needless to say I learned how to drive a stick pretty quick. I actually enjoy it a lot more than an auto. Whenever I drive the other half's truck I always try and step on the clutch for the first few minutes I'm driving it.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Back in high school 40 years ago no self respecting 17 yr old with a late 60's muscle car would have anything BUT a 4 spd manual. In my case a 1969 Camaro Pace Car convertible SS350 with Muncie M21 4 spd. Ever since then I've always had manuals. Now many years later my two sons 20 and 16 both know how to drive a manual. My wife drives a manual. My sons were given the incentive of being able to drive the old man's german sports car if they learned how to drive a manual in our Honda. They are now very proficient with a manual.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I think when your young they (manual trans) are more fun and cool!
    But when you get older the novelty wears off.....and yes, we tend to get a bit lazier.

I still like sticks....but..........you know.

Top Bottom