• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I don't think people are lazy at all. I sincerely believe that driving a manual transmission is a hassle. Why in the heck would I want to have to deal with a clutch and shifter when I have the ability to simply press a gas and brake pedal? It also depends on what type of vehicle one is driving. I prefer sports cars to be manuals. I also completely understand why the 65 year old man who just retired and has a bum knee wants to purchase a brand new automatic Corvette.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    The last two trucks I bought have been automatics, hope I don't forget how to drive stick shift

You won't. I've been driving automatics for the last 9 years, but I had to drive my drunk buddy home last weekend. He has a 5 speed Jeep Wrangler. It wasn't very smooth, but the ability was still there.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For a while I was the only man at our club that shot national match style highpower matches with a .30 cal bolt gun. I admit the rapid fire stages were pretty challenging, but entirely possible, against all the magazine feed semi autos. The guy that gave me the most grief about a "manual operated" rifle drove a 5 speed manual economy car.

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    Always preferred manual over auto, ecpecially in my 78'79 4x4 ford pickups. Love the granny gear in them. Always seem to have less problems with a manual too.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Learned how to drive a manual in a 1968 C-10 with a 3 speed on the column. My dad said if I could learn how to drive that, I could drive just about anything out there. I also have a 1929 model A tudor that is a blast to drive.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I don't see the point in adding more things to do while I'm driving. Sure, I could learn to drive stick...or I could learn something more practical and useful. It's not a matter of laziness, there is just no point in learning. How many of you all force yourself to use a rotary dial phone or prefer to manually roll your windows down? There is a place for manual vs. automatic designs, of course, but it's hardly lazy to use an automatic.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I hate driving my fiance's automatic. I keep stepping where the clutch should be... not sure there's not a dent there from hitting the floorpan so many times trying to clutch in.

Can't spell Manual without Man.

And some men just like playing with sticks... I really don't get the fascination with a vehicle being a manual. They are advantageous at times in some vehicles, but for a commuter car, what is the point? I think a lot of "stick drivers" would be shocked to learn how many 1000+ hp drag cars have a feminine automatic transmission.

I don't see the point in adding more things to do while I'm driving. Sure, I could learn to drive stick...or I could learn something more practical and useful. It's not a matter of laziness, there is just no point in learning. How many of you all force yourself to use a rotary dial phone or prefer to manually roll your windows down? There is a place for manual vs. automatic designs, of course, but it's hardly lazy to use an automatic.

^exactly

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My 1973 AMC Javelin SST is a 4-speed. I restored it myself when I was 16.

My Motorcycle is a 6-speed.

My four wheeler is a 5-speed.

Im 25yo btw.

I know plenty my age who can drive stick.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I taught my oldest boy to drive in my 95 F150 4 speed,300 six cylinder. The thing drives like a dream, nice and smooth, but it took him awhile to get the hang of it, now he can jump in just about anything and drive. I asked my step daughter if she wanted to learn to drive it and she refused, she wants to drive my old Bronco, with the 351, that rumbles and shakes. Go figure.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Everyone should know how to drive a stick shift car/truck. Never know when the skill will be needed. My car is a 5 speed stick. Better MPG than auto trans, more fun to drive than a auto trans and I believe moving through the gears keeps one more alert. Learned to drive on a 1951 International 3/4 ton pick up truck. Double-clutch non-synchromesh transmission, what fun that was.:D

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I miss driving a manual transmission. It's next to impossible to find many vehicles today with a manual. Usually, the ones that are available are something the dealer doesn't stock or comes only on the base model of a vehicle. With that being said, I've been trying for quite some time to convince my wife that I could make do with a new Mustang as a daily commuter car and I know I could probably get that in a stick.

Unfortunately, I handed my man card to her a LONG time ago and will never get her to open up the pocketbook to let me buy a sports car.

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    Everyone should know how to drive a stick shift car/truck. Never know when the skill will be needed. My car is a 5 speed stick. Better MPG than auto trans, more fun to drive than a auto trans and I believe moving through the gears keeps one more alert. Learned to drive on a 1951 International 3/4 ton pick up truck. Double-clutch non-synchromesh transmission, what fun that was.:D
    I had a 1962 international 1 ton pick. Manual trany with granny gear,4x4, divorce transfer case, with p.t.o winch, dana 70 front differential with 4.88 gears and no brakes. hahaha That was real fun to drive. Stoped by downshifting.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm 25 and the only people my age that can drive a manual are the ones who care about cars.

I traded a 6L automatic torque monster for a 2.8L I6 manual apex monster. Guess which car is most fun...

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Have been teaching my 16yr old girl to drive a manual and she's just about got it down. My son and other daughter both drive manuals as do I . It just adds to the whole driving experience for me. Nothing like heal toe shifting on a curvy road !

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just yesterday afternoon I watched a kid at discount tire kill my car 3 times before he shamefully went to find a competent coworker. You'd think if your job required frequently moving other people's cars, driving a manual might be a skill you would want to have.

Your responsibility to be able to drive a stick never ends... :D

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    manuals i've owned/driven:
    80's dodge omni 4 sp. (mom's)
    65 mustang 3 sp.
    66 f-100 3 sp. column (step-dad's)
    90's eagle talon 5 sp. (mom's)
    99 kia sephia 5 sp. (girlfriend/wife's)
    03 isuzu rodeo 5 sp. (wife's)

my mom has also had a couple mitsubishi eclipses in the past decade, both 6 sp. i believe, that i've driven occasionally. once was in the cherokee/maggie valley area of the north carolina mountains- fun twists and turns for a sporty little car there.

we don't currently own any vehicles with a stick, but i forsee having one around when my daughters get old enough for driving lessons.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    My son learned to drive a stick when he was 16. His second car was a stick. Since he has proved his ability and maturity ( For 22) he enjoys driving my Vette on occasion.

Top Bottom