• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Hmmm...If I were a 19 year old bouncer 5'8" 155 lbs, and not permitted to carry at work, I'd want a buddy with a gun backing me up.
    Guns don't solve all problems, especially if this is a college setting. Numerous bouncers typically can contain ANY problem at bars, it's not like the movies where 100 people start getting into it. Typically two guys, and then once they are confronted, one guy is a problem that gets surrounded and thrown out or both get thrown out. Non-leathal weapons are the way to go in bar settings. Firearms present problems in this situation because one is typically dealing with non-rational people. Bouncer shooting a drunk guy throwing hay makers to everybody is going to destroy his life legally and financially.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    may be alone in this opinion, but when i was a bouncer i found out that when niceness would not work and it came to the last resort 99% of the time all you needed was confidence. most people love to act tough when they know the other guy will not actually fight. when they say "oh ___ this guy isn't scared" they change there tone fast. i think inside they are saying "i want to cause just enough trouble to look tough but not enough to prove im not".:twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm thinking a small handheld impact/control-type weapon would work best in a crowded bar setting. No tazer, no chemical, no guns.

Something like these:

KUB_Kubaton.jpg

Or what about a non-sharpened training karambit for control techniques?

kcon-poly.jpg

As for the software side of the equation, I know mercop could probably help, and I think Jim Floyd with DPG (INGO Advertiser) has a kubaton class. As others have already suggested, a basic martial arts class with focus on restraint or neutralization might be beneficial as well.

GBultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I'm thinking a small handheld impact/control-type weapon would work best in a crowded bar setting. No tazer, no chemical, no guns.

Something like these:

KUB_Kubaton.jpg

Or what about a non-sharpened training karambit for control techniques?

kcon-poly.jpg

As for the software side of the equation, I know mercop could probably help, and I think Jim Floyd with DPG (INGO Advertiser) has a kubaton class. As others have already suggested, a basic martial arts class with focus on restraint or neutralization might be beneficial as well.
    A big +1

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    may be alone in this opinion, but when i was a bouncer i found out that when niceness would not work and it came to the last resort 99% of the time all you needed was confidence. most people love to act tough when they know the other guy will not actually fight. when they say "oh ___ this guy isn't scared" they change there tone fast. i think inside they are saying "i want to cause just enough trouble to look tough but not enough to prove im not".

Isn't it funny that it seems most all the bullies in life are like that? Now mind you I do carry a gun, but the attitude of the person will often set the tone. I don't have a chip on my shoulder, I just don't cower when the bullies start in. Actually more so if I am not armed. The whole reason I don't get a lot of enjoyment in going to the "clubs", there always seems to be some knothead trying to prove he is tough.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    He and I both are BSU students and university ave isn't the roughest place in town, he does well managing with his words, and he's a rugby player so I've seen him take down some big guys (once in the bar) and I've passed along some of my army combatives and detainee management training (which is still minimal) He tells the drunks (if they ask) that he's 21, its his size they usually laugh at, but he's nice...until Dalton tells him not to be nice.

-PFC
    I just watched that the other day for the first time. :):

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    it's not like the movies where 100 people start getting into it. Typically two guys, and then once they are confronted, one guy is a problem that gets surrounded and thrown out or both get thrown out.
    I worked in a bar for awhile (when I was 19) and this is the same thing I noticed. Most times it's broken up before anything really happens, and if not people just don't want to get into it over nothing.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    The whole idea of hiring the "Big Bouncer" is that he won't need to use martial arts, batons, pressure point tactics, etc. and the business owner won't have to pay insurance claims, or attorneys, etc. In my humble opinion.

Top Bottom