The Libertarian Party Race is Filling Up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Don't get an abortion if you don't like abortions. Don't get married to the same sex if you don't like same sex marriage.

Yes, a libertarian can be a christian.

This sort of sophistry is the reason that, generally speaking, I cannot take libertarians seriously.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What about those apendix and gall bladders, don't they have rights too? They're attached living tissue inside of your body.

Get back to me when your appendix or gall bladder have separate DNA from you, their own arms, legs, a heart, a brain, etc.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Can "True" "Pure" "Perfect" "Pedigree" "Linage" Libertarians be Christians? :dunno:
    I'll answer that from my experience with various Christians, but reversing the question to: can a Christian be a Libertarian?. A convenient dichotomy, at least among protestants, seems to be along a natural divide between those who believe in free will and people who don't. Those who seem most open to libertarianism are the free will types. The strict Calvinists i've come into contact with I think would never vote for any libertarian let alone be one.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'll answer that from my experience with various Christians, but reversing the question to: can a Christian be a Libertarian?. A convenient dichotomy, at least among protestants, seems to be along a natural divide between those who believe in free will and people who don't. Those who seem most open to libertarianism are the free will types. The strict Calvinists i've come into contact with I think would never vote for any libertarian let alone be one.

Interesting point, and likely true regarding Calvinism. I believe that my "live and let live" philosophy is very much informed by - if not directly attributable to - my Christian beliefs. But of course, those beliefs include free will.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've no wish to go further down the abortion rabbit hole, but I believe that being anti abortion is not antithetical to libertarian philosophy on an individual basis even though it may conflict with the party's position. Most (if not all) libertarians I know would agree that having laws against murder and punishing such a crime is a legitimate role of government. Some libertarians believe that abortion is not equivalent to murder, but is a bodily integrity issue for the pregnant woman alone. However, it would not be averse to libertarian beliefs to hold that the baby is a separate being with its own right to bodily integrity meaning that every individual has full freedom with the limit that others are not adversely affected by the exercise of freedom. If the baby has a right to bodily integrity, abortion adversely affects that right and would not be allowed.

I suppose there should be room for both beliefs within the libertarian mindset, but there appears not to be room within the Libertarian Party.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This sort of sophistry is the reason that, generally speaking, I cannot take libertarians seriously.

Ah, yes: doubling down on the sophistry.

Absolutely. The most asinine argument I have heard from a professing libertarian/Libertarian regarding abortion is the assertion that the baby is violating their cherished Non-aggression Principle by being where it is not wanted. My response is to stop, back up a step, and answer this question: Which of the two people involved did NOT have a vote in the decision leading to the baby's presence exactly where it is, and then, in turn, is being disingenuously blamed for the situation?

My personal view of LP brand libertarian politics is eroding rapidly. There seems to be a streak of selective belief regarding who is or is not entitled to liberty.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Interesting point, and likely true regarding Calvinism. I believe that my "live and let live" philosophy is very much informed by - if not directly attributable to - my Christian beliefs. But of course, those beliefs include free will.

So you guys don't think Calvin is a Libertarian?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What about those apendix and gall bladders, don't they have rights too? They're attached living tissue inside of your body.
    At what point does it become not attatched living tissue as equal with gall bladders as you intended?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    At what point does it become not attatched living tissue as equal with gall bladders as you intended?

It is NEVER "attached living tissue". Not ever. It is never "attached", and it is not merely "living tissue". It is a separate, living organism.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A lot of Johnsons interviews aren't that great but this is a great portion of one of the better interviews I've seen him give.

[video]https://youtu.be/kTunl_eN9qA?t=29m55s[/video]

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It's just that most libertarians I've met are full blown atheists and the very few that say they're Christians, say it under their breath like they're not suppose to believe in God or something.

I am a Christian and a libertarian. Rambone is, also. I know quite a few Christian libertarians, as a matter of fact.

I lean Calvinist, myself. I really don't see how it has any bearing on political views. The question (for me) is not whether we have free will, the question is whether Biblical principles were meant to be internalized and lived or externalized and legislated.

The Israelites obviously did a lot of externalizing - but we, as Christians, are not supposed to be doing that to the rest of the unbelieving world. I can't find any teachings of Jesus suggesting that Biblical morality ought to be forcibly imposed upon a fallen people.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am a Christian and a libertarian. Rambone is, also. I know quite a few Christian libertarians, as a matter of fact.

An Evangelical Atheist here on INGO once made the statement "There is nothing Libertarian in Christianity" and I pointed out (what should be obvious to anyone who has ever read a history book) how inaccurate that statement was with many documented facts connecting the Protestant Reformation to the emergence of representative Democracy even including the "We hold these Truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal and are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights" and he said he would never discuss this again with me because I missed his point and took his quote out of context.....

You and Rambone are who came to mind right off of the bat when he made that statement...It was so ignorant I thought at first he may be joking and just tried to gently show him the fallacy of his statement but he seemed to have a genuine bit of hurt butt over it...

Top Bottom