The Libertarian Party Race is Filling Up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    So is johnson a libertarian? Supports TPP, his vp is anti gun and long time clinton friend. He is a huge open borders advocate and yells at reporters for saying the word illegal when describing illegal aliens. His record as governor is actually really not good at all, granted the legislature was mostly democrats so that point can be argued. He only wants weed legalized, not all drugs. He socially liberal. Most of his positions arent libertarian. Trump is the only answer at this point.

Don't forget carbon taxes, and forced vaccinations.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So is johnson a libertarian?
    not to the extent I would prefer but moreso than anyone in decades (or longer) and as much as the populace could possibly elect
    He is a huge open borders advocate
    He specifically wants to make it easy for those who come here to work to get a work permit, including requiring they have a criminal background check. I wouldn't call that "open" but we are all open to our own perceptions.
    I think if we make the work path feasible for the non-criminals, and we end the drug war we now have a situation at the border that law enforcement can better handle. The idea of continuing to incentivize so many illegal crossings while building a wall is just an example of government burning its own money.
    Johnson claims that currently the flow of workers is actually towards Mexico because there are more jobs there. He probably knows more about this issue than I do.

and yells at reporters for saying the word illegal when describing illegal aliens.
    I generally don't mind calling something what it is but I also don't mind adjusting my words if it unnecessarily hurts people. I do take the recommendation seriously of someone who lived in a border state and got along with people, that maybe there is no reason to use the phrase.

He only wants weed legalized, not all drugs.
    He makes some good points about how prohibition actually causes increased death, but is just proposing as president that he could remove marijuana from the narcotics schedules. States are still going to do what they do.

He socially liberal. Most of his positions arent libertarian. Trump is the only answer at this point.
    So Trump is more libertarian than Johnson in your view?

Don't forget carbon taxes, and forced vaccinations.

He doesn't want carbon taxes and stated that vaccines in school are a state issue. He did say if there were a severe outbreak "zombie apocalypse" was his example that he might sign to require vaccines. I don't disagree with that, though I might give people the option of home quarantine. He added we haven't seen anything like that in our lifetime and wouldn't expect it. I think that's one of those examples where he is brutally honest and won't "never say never".

He was specifically asked about state-mandated vaccines and said that if the states were violating the Constitution, it might be the federal government's role to step in and protect those rights.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Sorry, but Johnson is nothing but a social justice warrior fighting for liberal causes, he isn't fit to polish Ron Paul's shoes.

Also, a carbon tax is still a carbon tax even if you call it a carbon fee.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Sorry, but Johnson is nothing but a social justice warrior fighting for liberal causes, he isn't fit to polish Ron Paul's shoes.
    I"m not suggesting you have a different opinion; I"m seriously asking if you think Trump is libertarian in some way.

He had one conversation where he said we should consider carbon tax if carbon is seen as a pollution. (He does often say "we should be open to discussing xyz idea" and get quoted as supporting that idea. I appreciate his discussion statements for what they are but they are not good for political sound bitesx). Anyway, he has specifically clarified several times since he does not support carbon taxes.

Is he as libertarian as Ron Paul or as myself ? No. Is he more libertarian than any major candidate in decades? yes If he were elected would the libertarians just become the same cronies as everyone else, or would it influence people positiviely? Sadly, probably the former, but I'll shoot for the latter while there is a chance.

I wish I could find what (Doug?) Libertarian01 wrote here once. I think it was a couple of years ago..... something about if a libertarian could be just mainstream enough to get support from the mainstream then they could possibly improve things once they got in office. A lot of people thought his statement was grand, and I think Johnson is fitting exactly the mold he asked for yet some of the same people who supported that idea don't think Johnsonis libertarian enough. (Ironically I thought Doug's idea was unrealistic). To say Johnson isn't libertarian enough is a valid opinion. To say Johnson isn't libertarian enough, so I'm voting for an authoritarian with no consistent principles is nonsensical.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Any attempt to even slightly broaden their appeal seems to rankle their base tremendously (likely an artifact of numerous past disappointments). The Libertarian Party eats its own

Perhaps something more of a Constitutionalist Party should be formed, taking on re-establishing the primacy of the Constitution in Federal Law without getting bogged down in the minutiae of established positions

You have to give the Libertarian Party props that the few adherents that do get elected in generalseem to stick to their guns. If that can be extrapolated, they are possibly what we need post Trump

Having said that, I don't get the Weld thing. I would like to understand the motivations driving that pick, whether the party hobbled Johnson with him or Johnson himself had input as an attempt to widen their appeal

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Any attempt to even slightly broaden their appeal seems to rankle their base tremendously (likely an artifact of numerous past disappointments). The Libertarian Party eats its own

Perhaps something more of a Constitutionalist Party should be formed, taking on re-establishing the primacy of the Constitution in Federal Law without getting bogged down in the minutiae of established positions

You have to give the Libertarian Party props that the few adherents that do get elected in generalseem to stick to their guns. If that can be extrapolated, they are possibly what we need post Trump

Having said that, I don't get the Weld thing. I would like to understand the motivations driving that pick, whether the party hobbled Johnson with him or Johnson himself had input as an attempt to widen their appeal

Johnson strongly requested Weld at the convention. He made the point repeatedly (and a valid point at that) that they had no chance of getting elected if they can't get publicity. His last VP candidate couldn't get 1 major media interview whereas Weld had some just for seeking the nomination. Weld also signed a pledge to not support any new gun control.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Johnson is likely less liberal than Clinton and Trump.

And as an aside, no single vote here is going to change anything in this election. The entirety of INGO could abstain from voting, and Trump will still win Indiana.

The idea that a non-Trump vote is actually a vote for another candidate (as though the voting machines are rigged) is literally retarded.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    The idea that a non-Trump vote is actually a vote for another candidate (as though the voting machines are rigged) is literally retarded.

I have never made that statement; go ahead, vote for whom ever you want, I would have did the same, if the Republicans nominated another establishment candidate.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I heard on the radio this morning that voting for Johnson is white privilege.
    I will say that if the crowd at Purdue is any indication, he draws heavily from the male voter. It was a rare occasion to see a longer line for the mens restroom than the womens.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I will say that if the crowd at Purdue is any indication, he draws heavily from the male voter. It was a rare occasion to see a longer line for the mens restroom than the womens.

Obviously it's white *male* privilege. See the SJW thread for the story.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

Young male voters, the old folks seem to like to stick to the old candidates.

Top Bottom