The Libertarian Party Race is Filling Up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How Serious is the Libertarian Ticket? | RealClearPolitics
    At times, it feels as if Johnson gets distracted by shiny ideas. During an interview, Johnson was checking all the right boxes until he told me he thought a city might prevent overdose deaths by opening "a satellite office that you could come in and test your heroin before you took it." You mean private companies could do the testing? I interjected. Yes, he answered. Too bad we didn't get into the dubious advisability -- as in: utter insanity -- of clinics telling junkies they can use a certain batch of heroin.
    This is one of my problems with Johnson/Weld and even libertarians in general. They sometimes support insane ideas to the point where they contradict their own beliefs. So who is going to pay for the heroin testing? It's not like the junkies can afford it. They likely had to steal something from someone else to pay for it. So then they'd have to steal more to pay for the testing? Oh, wait. <gasp/> you mean Johnson wants you and me to pay for the testing? Is he ****ing nuts? Well, yes, he is.

Shapiro is not out to enforce Libertarian purity. I think he'd like to see what I want to see -- a smart focus on more freedom and less government. That means Weld moving closer to Johnson, not vice versa. That means more talk from both men about cutting government spending by 10 to 20 percent and more of Johnson urging Bernie Sanders' supporters to focus on "opportunity equality" in lieu of "income inequality," and more shout-outs for the sharing economy.
    About the Bernie bots. I'd love if Johnson could convince them to switch their mindset from "income equality" to "opportunity equality". But it's not simply a matter of modifying how they look at things. Their whole world view is based on equalizing outcomes. It's like asking a leopard to switch to stripes.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    About the Bernie bots. I'd love if Johnson could convince them to switch their mindset from "income equality" to "opportunity equality". But it's not simply a matter of modifying how they look at things. Their whole world view is based on equalizing outcomes. It's like asking a leopard to switch to stripes.

Not all of them. The problem of income equality is absolutely real, especially the increasing wealth inequality. Sanders and his supporters in general have the wrong idea of the cause (in my view) and the wrong idea that they can fix it by taxing the upper middle class (which will really just be the middle class including them). But some of them realize the problem of inequality by cronyism and giving money to the banksters. And many of them recognize how corrupt Hillary is. Whether they agree with Johnson or not, there are Sanders supporters more likely to vote for Johnson than for Clinton.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not all of them. The problem of income equality is absolutely real, especially the increasing wealth inequality. Sanders and his supporters in general have the wrong idea of the cause (in my view) and the wrong idea that they can fix it by taxing the upper middle class (which will really just be the middle class including them). But some of them realize the problem of inequality by cronyism and giving money to the banksters. And many of them recognize how corrupt Hillary is. Whether they agree with Johnson or not, there are Sanders supporters more likely to vote for Johnson than for Clinton.

I will agree with that there are some, but that number is insignificant. I remember seeing some poll numbers posted somewhere that seems to show Bernie voters less likely to vote for Johnson than Trump, for ****s sake!

You can't pry the mindset from the minds of the smitten without some pretty heavy detox intervention.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, wait. I said insignificant. We're talking about a party that typically gets 1% of the vote each election. So a few percent is not insignificant.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hey, they weren't my first choice and the people in control of the party say they are increasing membership and fundraising because of them. I'm just ignoring Weld and all the crap that comes out of his mouth and costs us votes. VP is a dead end job and has no real input, anyway. Johnson is better than any of the others in the race, so unless he really screws the pooch between now and election day, he'll get my vote.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Anyone watch the debate tonight? Johnson might not be libertarian enough to allow 'no blacks allowed' signs hung at private business' but I'd think anyone watching would have to agree they're a breath of fresh air compared to not only the main candidates we have now but the candidates that have been put up in my lifetime.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A bit long, but a really good interview with Penn Jillette on the election.

[video=youtube_share;D3JX4m4nJKw]http://youtu.be/D3JX4m4nJKw[/video]

One of my favorite public figures, it's a short list (Tim Gunn is also on it :) ) He's entertaining, brilliant, well spoken, and usually correct...haha.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No one will claim that Johnson is perfect or even close. Our current D/R offerings are proof of that.

Unfortunately, based on the positions I've heard him tout the most--his priorities, his seeming affinity towards the democrats, plus the priorities of the democrats themselves, and the spinelessness of the republicans, a Gary Johnson administration would likely net out, in my view, very little than a Clinton administration. That is, very little to show in the area of fiscal restraint while expanding social justice warrior priorities...meh, you guys can have him.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately, based on the positions I've heard him tout the most--his priorities, his seeming affinity towards the democrats, plus the priorities of the democrats themselves, and the spinelessness of the republicans, a Gary Johnson administration would likely net out, in my view, very little than a Clinton administration. That is, very little to show in the area of fiscal restraint while expanding social justice warrior priorities...meh, you guys can have him.

There's a little selection bias there, you know all his positions but because the media and those on this forum prefer to focus on truly minute social justice issues you pretend like his positions on economic policy aren't vastly superior to those of Trump and Clinton. We're willing to gloss over sane ideas about fiscal and foreign policies based on the 3 nazis who'll want personalized birthday cakes this year? Give me a break.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There's a little selection bias there, you know all his positions but because the media and those on this forum prefer to focus on truly minute social justice issues you pretend like his positions on economic policy aren't vastly superior to those of Trump and Clinton. We're willing to gloss over sane ideas about fiscal and foreign policies based on the 3 nazis who'll want personalized birthday cakes this year? Give me a break.

We all have our biases, apparently. You have your priorities and I have mine. You're willing to give a pass to a bigot, I'm not.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Libertarian Party Vice Presidential Candidate, Bill Weld, is Still Pro Gun Control ? Liberty Hangout

“You know the five-shot rifle, that’s a standard military rifle. The problem is if you attach a clip to it so it can fire more shells, and if you remove the pin so that it becomes an automatic weapon. And those are independent criminal offenses. That’s when they become essentially a weapon of mass destruction. The problem with handguns is probably even worse than the problem of the AR-15. You shouldn’t have anybody who’s on a terrorist watch list be able to buy any gun at all.

quote is at about 16 minutes into the video

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I'd whole heartedly support that actual former carnival barker for president. A great listen.

Overheard on Fox yesterday (via satellite radio) when discussing Bernie Sanders supporters with Kennedy (some Fox news gal I'm not familiar with)

Penn Jillette: Folks feeling the Bern?? Feel my Johnson...

Top Bottom