Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To be cold and blunt, A rape victim carries some baggage that's not attractive to potential mates. Of course, someone that perpetrates this sort of ruse doesn't sound like someone capable of thinking it through.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    See, this is what's so ridiculous with "critical theory". Everything is a social construct, especially regarding societal hierarchies and norms. So then social hierarchies and norms are "fluid". Since they are fluid, morally, they can't or shouldn't be enforced through social pressure because social norms are arbitrary. But then when they invent new social hierarchies and norms THAT's somehow socially enforceable. But if the old social constructs are fluid and therefore unenforceable, logically the new ones are too.

So, to circumvent logic, they invented "privilege". For example, "manspreading" is a social no-no now. But transpreading is okay. In the new privilege based hierarchic they've concocted, manspreading is not okay because of the high privilege of the patriarchy. But "transpreading" is okay because trans people, being an oppressed minority, get extra privilege points to make them more equaler. So it's okay for biological males to "transpread" to make room for their junk as long as they don't identify as a man. But men who identify as men, have to sit like they got no junk.

Well, if it's all a social construct then I don't have to abide by their new norms. I can ignore their complex privilege point social justice system. I will sit comfortably because I identify as a neutral normative straight white male who doesn't give a flying **** what new social norms this group of bat**** crazy communist social justice warring lunatics want to be the new normal. I rebelled against pop culture in high school. Its really no different than that. So. You leave me be to do me; I leave you be to do you; we all get along just fine that way.

"Equaler" isn't a word.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Regarding Sargon/Sarkeesian VidCon situation:

Founders essentially talked to Anita, and didn't ask for a statement from Carl.

"We condone this because we support Saint Anita, and she told us how to feel about it."

DDWNUCmUMAA3iJO.jpg:large

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is not a defense of Sarkeesian. But I am going to talk about some disappointment with Sargon.

Sargon has indeed leveled a lot of legitimate and spot-on criticism at Sarkeesian throughout and since gamergate, and that is a major reason why he has the following he has on Youtube now. But along with legitimate criticisms, he's called her a ****, *****, dick, and all kinds of other vulgar names. And I'm not saying that she hasn't acted like all those things in the way she's treated the people who disagree with her. But I can see why she might be pretty pissed about that. And for those in the middle or on her side, he's made it too easy for her to play the victim here. It's one of the reasons she gets that preferential treatment--not the major one, but still one reason. She's going to get the sympathy anyway, because she's a darling of feminists, but let's at least make her and her sympathizers work for it. She doesn't have to work for it when she has plenty of video evidence of Sargon derisively calling her all kinds of vulgar things.

Sargon has less right to complain about her preferential treatment he helps pave the path for it. ****. Make them work for it. Make them have to make **** up for why they give her preferential treatment. Make it seem more obvious that that's what's happening. Don't undermine all the work put into those videos logically dismantling her argument. Sargon kept saying that he hasn't harassed her, but it's a way too easy case to make when you can't point to all those times he called her a ****. It's hard to make that case when he goes on minutes long profanity laced tirades against her on Joe Rogan's podcast.

I'd rather see Sargon just stick to what I think he does best and that is deconstructing ridiculous arguments. His derision of Sarkeesian is a fan favorite of many, but it undermines the research and work he's put into rebutting her claims. He doesn't have to call her a stupid **** to show how utterly ridiculous she is. Skillfully articulating the absurdities of her viewpoints should be enough on their own. I was also a little annoyed with the video he put out about what the whole incident. For a guy who's criticized her for claiming victimhood, it's hard to respect him when he does it. C'mon dude. Be a man. You could really tell she got under his skin.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Forcing themselves into "thriving communities"? Thriving with what? Poverty? Gangs? I don't agree with gentrification either but the whole idea behind it is a misplaced belief that failing neighborhoods can be revitalized by importing more affluent residents. It does impose a culturally different dynamic, and understandably unacceptable to the neighborhood. But they don't gentrify "thriving communities", they gentrify failing ones.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, the first example of White Privilege you learn about, is that Jesus is a fair-skinned, light eyed, man with flowing locks.

Why is it "privilege" when people make their gods look like them? You want a black Jesus? Fine by me. But the whites will probably prefer the white one. That's not privilege.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why is it "privilege" when people make their gods look like them? You want a black Jesus? Fine by me. But the whites will probably prefer the white one. That's not privilege.

No, your right. People will typically make their gods look like themselves... however, when your religion is supplanted and another forced upon you, one is compelled to adopt the image of those who "gave" you your new religion. After generations, it becomes ingrained.

Kut (knows that missionaries of old rarely gave the option to NOT convert)

Further: if people do craft the image of their gods looking like themselves, and given the knowledge that Christianity is globally recognized by numerous non-white races and cultures, why do you suppose they abandoned the method you mentioned of crafting their gods in their own image, in favor of a look that is alien to them?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, your right. People will typically make their gods look like themselves... however, when your religion is supplanted and another forced upon you, one is compelled to adopt the image of those who "gave" you your new religion. After generations, it becomes ingrained.

Kut (knows that missionaries of old rarely gave the option to NOT convert)

Further: if people do craft the image of their gods looking like themselves, and given the knowledge that Christianity is globally recognized by numerous non-white races and cultures, why do you suppose they abandoned the method you mentioned of crafting their gods in their own image, in favor of a look that is alien to them?

You're kinda shifting the topic, but okay. Are you asking why those non-white races and cultures continue to accept a white Jesus? You'd have to ask them. Of course it doesn't help when people like Megan Kelly declare on national TV that Jesus is white. But don't you think that's natural? Say you're white. You grow up with a white Jesus. Having Jesus be anything but what you've known him as would naturally seem blasphemous. But that's not privilege.

Personally I'd prefer that it didn't matter to people. A quick google search says Middle Easterners are Caucasian White, even though they tend to have darker skin than European whites. So I found that kinda surprising. I thought they were a different race. Anyway, I suppose there is some historic precedence for a "white" Jesus other than people wanting him to look like them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom