• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    they do have a transmission, or a gearbox, or a reducer. What ever you want to call it. They just aren't multi-speed like what most transmissions in ICE vehicles are. They (EV) are not typically directly coupled to the wheel.

Hush, you!

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    they do have a transmission, or a gearbox, or a reducer. What ever you want to call it. They just aren't multi-speed like what most transmissions in ICE vehicles are. They (EV) are not typically directly coupled to the wheel.

Yes, they use a single gear to adapt to the correct speed, but it isn't complicated and would likely never wear out, just like the transfer case on your vehicles for the last century, most people don't even know they are there because they almost never have a problem. I remember being poor growing up and the thought of a transmission going out was scary since you knew it would cost a lot of repair it. They are even more expensive to repair today, around $2000 to $3500.

I noticed many ICE vehicles are going to 8 and 9 speed transmissions for fuel economy like the new 2017 Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you owe and paid zeto income tax, you cant take any deductions because you can't reduce your tax burden lower than zero. If you owe and paid zero income tax, and are eligible for a rebate. They send you a check.

:orly:

From:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565264-how-does-the-electric-car-tax-work-will-i-get-a-refund-if-what-i-have-to-pay-is-less-than-the-credit

The instructions for Form 8936, which refer to the Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit state the following:

“If you cannot use part of the personal portion of the credit because of the tax liability limit, the unused credit is lost. The unused personal portion of the credit cannot be carried back or forward to other tax years.”

What this means is that if your credit is bigger than what you owe in taxes, the taxes you owe are reduced to zero and the amount of your credit is lost.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Pffft. The F-150 has a 10 speed.
    My old F150 with the old inline 6 could have had a 100 speed transmission and I doubt it would have exceeded 16 mpg. The Honda CRV has a CVT so it is basically an infinite number of gears, like a hydrostat drive tractor. I'm glad many improvements are being made on the vehicle we drive today. I recall growing up people were able to work on cars because they were more simple designs. The down side was, it seems we were always working on the darn things. Now a Toyota Camry doesn't even have a transmission dipstick to check the fluid, but you will likely get about a half million miles on one and only have to change the tires, and oil.

2017 Honda CR-V | Engine and Transmission Review | Car and Driver

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I had a Schwinn Letour in bright yellow back in the mid 70's. Got stolen. I had it locked to a light pole. At least the theif left me the cut cable and lock.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a Schwinn Letour in bright yellow back in the mid 70's. Got stolen. I had it locked to a light pole. At least the theif left me the cut cable and lock.

Every kid in America needed to own a Schwinn. I did. Several actually. My kids did. My G-kids will not unfortunately.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You are right. Many "subsidies" are simply tax write offs. I read once the number of people receiving farm subsidies were largely wealthy people living in a city like New York City who purchased land so they could qualify for subsidies, even though they really never farmed it. I have a friend who gets a farm subsidy to not farm anything, this keeps the price of crops down because they don't have an over abundance of that crop.
    Why Does the Govt. Pay Farmers to Not Grow Crops? | PBS NewsHour
    No. Farm subsidies keep the price of crops UP, not down. Your article even says that.
    Robert Frank: Paying farmers not to grow crops was a substitute for agricultural price support programs designed to ensure that farmers could always sell their crops for enough to support themselves. The price support program meant that farmers had to incur the expense of plowing their fields, fertilizing, irrigating, spraying, and harvesting them, and then selling their crops to the government, which stored them in silos until they either rotted or were consumed by rodents. It was much cheaper just to pay farmers not to grow the crops in the first place.
    First, this is a stupid idea.

Second, the original subsidy was a stupid idea.

Third, if they are going to do one, go back to the first and give the damned crops to poor nations that need food instead of just letting it rot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Every kid in America needed to own a Schwinn. I did. Several actually. My kids did. My G-kids will not unfortunately.

Heck, even rhino rode a Continental for a while. It was blue. I replaced the tires with some crappy non-inflatable plastic tires. Not easy to pedal, but it beat running on the rims!

Top Bottom