Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Time names the "silence breakers" as person of the year

Silence Breakers TIME Person of the Year 2017: How We Chose | Time.com

The galvanizing actions of the women on our cover—Ashley Judd, Susan Fowler, Adama Iwu, Taylor Swift and Isabel Pascual—along with those of hundreds of others, and of many men as well, have unleashed one of the highest-velocity shifts in our culture since the 1960s. Social media acted as a powerful accelerant; the hashtag #MeToo has now been used millions of times in at least 85 countries. “I woke up and there were 32,000 replies in 24 hours,” says actor Alyssa Milano, who, after the first Weinstein story broke, helped popularize the phrase coined years before by Tarana Burke. “And I thought, My God, what just happened? I think it’s opening the floodgates.” To imagine Rosa Parks with a Twitter account is to wonder how much faster civil rights might have progressed.

The year, at its outset, did not seem to be a particularly auspicious one for women. A man who had bragged on tape about sexual assault took the oath of the highest office in the land, having defeated the first woman of either party to be nominated for that office, as she sat beside a former President with his own troubling history of sexual misconduct. While polls from the 2016 campaign revealed the predictable divisions in American society, large majorities—including women who supported Donald Trump—said Trump had little respect for women. “I remember feeling powerless,” says Fowler, the former Uber engineer who called out the company’s toxic culture, “like even the government wasn’t looking out for us.”

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    EVERYONE knew what was going on. What made them stay silent, and what changed?

The hats gave them power....

sjw-blog-vagina-imagery-womens-march-was-offensive-women-without-vaginas.jpg

Sweden%2B8.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Franken will be making an announcement tomorrow. He's gone, and they gain the moral high ground regarding Moore.
    Not just Moore. I heard they are going to try to get a parade of Trump victims. I would expect a certain Democrat female lawyer operative to be holding some media events soon.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Been practicing the Baptist "side hug" for years. I'm feeling pretty bulletproof even in the current environment.
    Greet all God's people with a holy kiss.

The wife's people came from a group of Brethren that believed in kissing to greet each other... Glad I grew up Southern Baptist, we were big hand shakers.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Six female D Senators are calling for Franken to step down.

All very coordinated, each did it within minutes after the other

I thought he had his heels dug in pretty good. The democrats are really trying to distance themselves from these guys/pervs. To bad they didn't step up to the plate back in the Clinton days.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought he had his heels dug in pretty good. The democrats are really trying to distance themselves from these guys/pervs. To bad they didn't step up to the plate back in the Clinton days.

Maybe they feel they need to go after him and others (some after putting up with a LONG time) so that they can go after Pres. Trump, and say, look we cleansed our Party. Time for the GOP to do the same.
    :dunno:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Maybe they feel they need to go after him and others (some after putting up with a LONG time) so that they can go after Pres. Trump, and say, look we cleansed our Party. Time for the GOP to do the same.
    :dunno:

I had not thought of that angle. That could be true. The billy Bush tape seems to be the biggest damning thing on Trump. It will be interesting to see what happens.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had not thought of that angle. That could be true. The billy Bush tape seems to be the biggest damning thing on Trump. It will be interesting to see what happens.

It's going to be very easy in 2020 to paint every candidate on the right as sexual abusers/harassers, or apologists. The right better be looking for a squeaky clean candidate now, because the #MeToo **** is going to be around for a while... and the left will win that (because of the Billy Bush tape)... even though they are the biggest perpetrators of it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's going to be very easy in 2020 to paint every candidate on the right as sexual abusers/harassers, or apologists. The right better be looking for a squeaky clean candidate now, because the #MeToo **** is going to be around for a while... and the left will win that (because of the Billy Bush tape)... even though they are the biggest perpetrators of it.

True. The republicans tried to run Ford against Carter. Both were pretty freaken clean. The next few elections will be interesting. The public has pretty well shown it's distrust with the current democratic leader ship. I don't see Trump (at this point) in as bad of shape as Nixon was. If Trump goes down Pence will have a hard time winning in 2020. We will have to wait to see how this all plays out.

Top Bottom