• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm not convinced that they even have a clue about how their stuff works.

They don't. No ISP does at a level that is willing to speak to the likes of customers. In your case, I'd switch to FIOS unless it's not an option (and usually in IN it is) and go about your life with no data caps.

Come to think of it... I'm on Comcast on their lowest speed internet only plan and I have unlimited data usage. I think they're putting the screws to you guys in your markets.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    One answer would be to lower the video quality you are using for any streaming. Here are some numbers for YouTube. Not sure if TV streaming would be the exact same, but it would at least give you an idea of the different rates of data used:

Here are the approximate data consumption of YouTube per minute:

8K (4320p) – 589 MB

4K (2160p) – 174 MB

2K (1440p) – 80 MB

1080p – 18 MB

720p – 11 MB

480p – 9 MB

360p – 4 MB

240p – 2MB

144p – 1 MB

I don't watch TV, but when on YouTube I rarely use above 720p unless I'm watching an instructional video where I need to see details.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I live rural. Comcast is the only realistic option for me, price and service wise.

I've been at this location for twelve years, streaming everything and anything I choose along with a fair amount of downloading. My "unlimited" plan tops out at 1229GB, as I believe all Comcast "unlimited" plans do.

I have never come close to using a terabyte of data, prior to December. Since then, it's been a problem. Unless I occasionally break the Comcast modem connection, which seems to keep their data reporting accurate.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I live rural. Comcast is the only realistic option for me, price and service wise.

I've been at this location for twelve years, streaming everything and anything I choose along with a fair amount of downloading. My "unlimited" plan tops out at 1229GB, as I believe all Comcast "unlimited" plans do.

I have never come close to using a terabyte of data, prior to December. Since then, it's been a problem. Unless I occasionally break the Comcast modem connection, which seems to keep their data reporting accurate.

That doesn't appear accurate, and it appears you can buy an actual unlimited plan (regardless of whether or not you truly need it):

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-is-the-terabyte-data-usage-plan

https://www.xfinity.com/support/art...ited-plan-if-not-in-market-with-terabyte-plan

I would have likely exceeded 1.2TB a few times by now and I've never heard a peep about it. I'm pretty sure I've never even logged into my comcast account.

I'm also pretty sure the first time they put a data cap on me that I will no longer be a customer (at my present address anyhow). I'm going to guess that I'm not in a 1.2TB market because FIOS is available and has no cap.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Something on your network is most likely using the data. They wouldn't be using your equipment to determine usage, they will be using their equipment which won't be inaccurate. They could also tell you where most of the traffic is going but that won't bother unless they are legally required to.

Presumably you're turning your modem off overnight when you don't need it. That would indicate to me that something is running an automated process at night. Do any off site backups to a cloud service? Are all your systems 100% clean? To really determine what it is you either need to dig deep into your router to get traffic logs or you need a different router that will give you the logs. An older Netgear R7000 [STRIKE]will give you these logs out of the box[/STRIKE] and a used one can be had for around $50. You would need to install OpenWRT or another OS on it to get the detailed traffic logs but 1TB of data being consumed will easily be found after doing so.

That doesn't appear accurate, and it appears you can buy an actual unlimited plan (regardless of whether or not you truly need it):

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-is-the-terabyte-data-usage-plan

https://www.xfinity.com/support/art...ited-plan-if-not-in-market-with-terabyte-plan

I would have likely exceeded 1.2TB a few times by now and I've never heard a peep about it. I'm pretty sure I've never even logged into my comcast account.

I'm also pretty sure the first time they put a data cap on me that I will no longer be a customer (at my present address anyhow). I'm going to guess that I'm not in a 1.2TB market because FIOS is available and has no cap.
    HAHA! You assume Comcast keeps the same pricing structure and limits across all their customers. I'm pretty sure they adjust everything based on competition. bwframe likely doesn't have any competition to threaten them with.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Something on your network is most likely using the data. They wouldn't be using your equipment to determine usage, they will be using their equipment which won't be inaccurate. They could also tell you where most of the traffic is going but that won't bother unless they are legally required to.
    Presumably you're turning your modem off overnight when you don't need it. That would indicate to me that something is running an automated process at night. Do any off site backups to a cloud service? Are all your systems 100% clean? To really determine what it is you either need to dig deep into your router to get traffic logs or you need a different router that will give you the logs. An older Netgear R7000 will give you these logs out of the box and a used one can be had for around $50. 1TB of data being consumed will easily be found...

Thank you for your professional advice!
    :ingo:

I leave the modem on most of the time. At night I stream the local police scanner feed.

Again, the timing or duration of the modem being turned off doesn't seem to matter. I normally turn it off when I go out the door. Garden work, town trip or whatever. An hour-ish or two off, maybe. Sometimes not every day.

I understand the reasoning behind assuming that my network has a security issue and that I'm actually really using the data that Comcast is logging. The problem is, if that were actually true, why would my turning off the modem for a random hour at a time so drastically effect that?

Also, why would would have my data usage have logged so low during the Comcast "no limit" covid lock-down months? Then only to race back up the first month after enforcing their data cap?

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Thank you for your professional advice!
    :ingo:

I leave the modem on most of the time. At night I stream the local police scanner feed.

Again, the timing or duration of the modem being turned off doesn't seem to matter. I normally turn it off when I go out the door. Garden work, town trip or whatever. An hour-ish or two off, maybe. Sometimes not every day.

I understand the reasoning behind assuming that my network has a security issue and that I'm actually really using the data that Comcast is logging. The problem is, if that were actually true, why would my turning off the modem for a random hour at a time so drastically effect that?

Also, why would would have my data usage have logged so low during the Comcast "no limit" covid lock-down months? Then only to race back up the first month after enforcing their data cap?
    Really the only way to answer any of these questions is to get some traffic logs. Without them you're just throwing darts blindly. What router are you currently using? Maybe there is a way for it to get these for you.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Really the only way to answer any of these questions is to get some traffic logs. Without them you're just throwing darts blindly. What router are you currently using? Maybe there is a way for it to get these for you.

More importantly:

Does he have a wireless LAN

Has he changed the password on the router to something secure and other than the factory pre-set

How close is his nearest neighbor

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    More importantly:

Does he have a wireless LAN

Has he changed the password on the router to something secure and other than the factory pre-set

How close is his nearest neighbor

More likely a issue with a modem with a wi-fi router that's been hijacked, he should have the ability to log into the router and see alll current connections enabled.

Many moons ago I provided my neighbors with a screen print out of their naked wifi networks because non of them changed it from the standard user of "Admin" and password of "Password"

The password on my 2 wi-fi points (one is my cable router, the other is a wifi router changed to a access point) are 32 & 64 character passwords. Ya, good luck on cracking those babies. LOL

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks gents. I was not born yesterday. I do have a bit of understanding of this stuff.

Of course I change my passwords and use the current WIFI security protocols. Even then, there are no neighbors close enough to realistically use my WIFI signal without special equipment on top of them all being old Luddites with no kids in the area.

I run a relatively modern TPLink Archer C9 Router. I would be honestly shocked to see the router showing much though, as my trick of turning the router on and off has my reported data usage way down...

1101GB remaining of 1229GB monthly plan (September 01 - September 30).
    download.png

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Thanks gents. I was not born yesterday. I do have a bit of understanding of this stuff.

Of course I change my passwords and use the current . Even then, there are no neighbors close enough to realistically use my WIFI signal without special equipment on top of them all being old Luddites with no kids in the area.

I run a TPLink Archer C9 Router. I would be honestly shocked to see the router showing much though, as my trick of turning the router on and off has my reported data usage way down...

1101GB remaining of 1229GB monthly plan (September 01 - September 30).
    download.png

Okay, so your usage when you weren't turning it off, presumably using it, was high. And your usage, when you've turned it off, obviously not using it, was low. That's not shocking.

I'm not familiar with that model, but if your router allows you to track bandwidth usage, that would tell the story. If it's close, well, maybe they have their thumb on the scale and you're probably not gonna prove much with your logs. But you'll know. If it's way off, you might be able to use that to ***** at them enough that they just want to just shut you up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0

Again though, I'm only turning the modem off for an hour or two here and there, every other day or so. Hard to imagine that would cut my reported data usage by half or more?

Also doesn't explain absence of data use above the cap when Xfinity wasn't charging for it during the covid lockdown. :dunno:

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    a lamp timer may not be a bad idea. use it to control your modem power. If you arent going to be surfing the web from 1-5am have the timer switch your modem off.

Cant accidentally stream if the modem is off.

And Comcast already effed up a couple years ago and had to backtrack on bad bandwidth calcs (and corresponding charges) after they discovered that they were reporting overages that really didnt happen. So it could be them again.

Sad we have to go to extremes to keep their billing system from screwing us for data we didnt actually use.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Again though, I'm only turning the modem off for an hour or two here and there, every other day or so. Hard to imagine that would cut my reported data usage by half or more?

Also doesn't explain absence of data use above the cap when Xfinity wasn't charging for it during the covid lockdown. :dunno:
    The only way you will ever know for sure is to have something on your side that tracks usage by source on your network. Then you will be able to see what if anything is transferring so much data.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The only way you will ever know for sure is to have something on your side that tracks usage by source on your network. Then you will be able to see what if anything is transferring so much data.

Which they will dismiss out of hand when your chart doesnt show nearly as much data as theirs does. It will be YOUR device that isnt counting all the bits, not theirs.

but it wouldnt hurt.

After all, there is precedent.
    https://arstechnica.com/information... meter gave,exceeding their monthly data caps.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

BW, hot trying to be nosy, but how many devices are connected to the net?

If it's just your PC, this below will let you know what's chewing up your bandwidth.
    Have you went into Settings> Network & Internet > Status > Data Usage

At least that'll give you a idea on what your PC is using.

Heck I'm a big gamer and have not used even 4 gig for the 1/2 the month and that's every thing connecting to the net including Youtube and facebook videos and I've streamed a ton of Cubs games off of Facebook Live.

This is just off my PC and not other devices like my Weather station that reports every 6 seconds 24/7/365 and my IP cameras in my house.

Thank goodness I have Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse) where is is no limitations on bandwidth.

Hope you find out the issue and nail Comcast/Xfinity, I despised them. When I lived in Mooresville, it was Comcast before they was asorbed, 10% the time our Cable and internet was out, we used to have a running joke that when we lost connections it was because a squirrel might have just ran across line and pee'd on it again. Mooresville even went to the length if booting them out of town and getting another provider for the town. 1 month later they was running new lines all through town.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank you to one and all for your good suggestions and advice!:ingo:

I have a lot of devices connected, mostly for convenience. I like the simpleness of turning on a stream or three wherever I go, between the house and shop. Scanner app, FNC, maybe a radio stream? I download some video content on occasion also.

I have never had an issue with overusing data, until the end of last year. When I showed the increase in data, my research at that time came up with a few reddit posts that led to this, Comcast incorrectly charged 2,000 customers for exceeding data cap.

More than one reddit post on the issue, Yet another post about Xfinity's data usage reporting

I have yet to find an explanation of why my very minimal amount of time with my modem turned off would so drastically effect the reported data usage. I believe it points to an issue with Comcast rather than some leak or security breach or actual usage of some sort from my network.

Actually, not sure I need to care about it much. My hours and hours of time spent on the phone with Comcast techs netted nothing but lies and fallacies from them. So even if I found, without doubt, that Comcast was over reporting data usage, I'd never get that through the gauntlet to anyone there who would care.

I might experiment around with seeing how many days I could go without turning off the modem before the data clock begins to race again? I'd have to do this late in the month to avoid going over the data cap, as all of my "get out of jail free" cards are used up.

I have one of those fancy network/modem timers. Maybe I'll try it using it to reset the modem daily without turning off the LAN. Resetting the router every day sometimes stirred up problems with old systems seeing each other. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I've got a rather old router that is having trouble keeping up these days; time for a new infrastructure.

The router itself is in the basement corner, so not good for coverage - I need some extra AP. But, those AP's need to be smart enough so I can have a guest network that won't allow access to private network (e.g. servers, my laptop). Most everything is wired, so over four switch ports would be good.

And suggestions on what to look at first?

Top Bottom