• ...and so much more!
  • Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    There is a game that I was thinking of getting because a bunch of friends are playing it. The Steam sale having it at 70% off made getting the game a no brainer.

So I have a new game to try tonight.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would really love to play Starfleet Command II or III again in MMP online, but I am presuming all the servers are gone.

If anyone knows how I can play either of these games again please let me know. I would love to help the great Klingon Empire reclaim some victory again.

Regards,

Doug

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gameranx best games of 2019 show

Best Multiplayer:
    Community pick - Modern Warfare
    Gameranx pick - Apex Legends

Best looking game:
    Community pick - Death Stranding
    Gameranx pick - Death Stranding

Best mobile game:
    Community pick - What the Golf?
    Gameranx pick - What the Golf?

Best first-person shooter:
    Community pick - Modern Warfare
    Gameranx pick - Modern Warfare

Best action/adventure game:
    Community pick - Jedi Fallen Order
    Gameranx pick - Resident Evil 2

Most anticipated game for 2020:
    Community pick - Cyberpunk 2077
    Gameranx pick - Doom Eternal

Best open-world game:
    Gameranx pick - Days Gone

Best music:
    Gameranx pick - Death Stranding

Best RPG:
    Community pick - The Outer Worlds
    Gameranx pick - The Outer Worlds

Most disappointing game:
    Community pick - Anthem
    Gameranx pick - Ghost Recon: Break Point

Best indie game:
    Community pick - Untitled Goose Game
    Gameranx pick - The Outer Wilds

Best Style:
    Community pick - Link's Awakening
    Gameranx pick - Control

Best narrative:
    Gameranx pick - Jedi Fallen Order

Game of the Year:
    Community pick - Jedi Fallen Order
    Gameranx pick - Control

[video=youtube_share;iRxJg2y2UqQ]https://youtu.be/iRxJg2y2UqQ[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    19 years ago today

15gvdx8lo2941.jpg

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not following - servers cost money, programmers don't work for free...
    You pay Microsoft for the privilege of connecting to servers or other players. I have to pay them to be able to play coop with my son, for instance. Something I will not do.

If you want to charge a fee to play a game, that is fine. Charging just to be able to have that access is not.

Do you pay to be able to do the same with a PC? Did you have to pay Sony with the PS3?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You pay Microsoft for the privilege of connecting to servers or other players. I have to pay them to be able to play coop with my son, for instance. Something I will not do.

If you want to charge a fee to play a game, that is fine. Charging just to be able to have that access is not.

Do you pay to be able to do the same with a PC? Did you have to pay Sony with the PS3?

When all games were physical, it was pretty common to be able to sit down and just play the game, regardless of who bought it. Couch co-op, split-screen, etc.

In the digital world... most games get locked to your account, or even device, making "sharing" a game a thing of the past. Local multiplayer not always an option, either.

Steam sort of recognized this, though, and introduced features like "family library" and game sharing. I can play games that my wife has on her Steam account, and vice versa, because we've authorized each other as shared users. That helps, I guess. It doesn't make sense for me to pay full price for a single player game, then her to have to do the same to play it one room away.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/ :):

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Lol I thought about pc too. But dang I hate reading reddit unless it’s for laughs. The beggarsandchoosers subreddit is pretty funny.

Some pc games are doing monthly subscriptions to play. Iracing is $60 a year, or $9.99 a month. Plus you have to purchase the car and tracks. Gets expensive but I’ve got about all the items now. I know there’s another game I’m missing that charges monthly on pc.

So with this topic I’ll ask the more knowledgeable here... why is pc free to game online but consoles charge monthly? I know it hasn’t kept people from playing consoles, but I’m wondering if more people would gravitate from pc to console if it were free. PS3 was free to play online, why the change?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lol I thought about pc too. But dang I hate reading reddit unless it’s for laughs. The beggarsandchoosers subreddit is pretty funny.

Some pc games are doing monthly subscriptions to play. Iracing is $60 a year, or $9.99 a month. Plus you have to purchase the car and tracks. Gets expensive but I’ve got about all the items now. I know there’s another game I’m missing that charges monthly on pc.

So with this topic I’ll ask the more knowledgeable here... why is pc free to game online but consoles charge monthly? I know it hasn’t kept people from playing consoles, but I’m wondering if more people would gravitate from pc to console if it were free. PS3 was free to play online, why the change?

Simplest answer: Because people will pay it.

Not everyone is happy about it. Some games dont lock features behind subscriptions. Nintendo, for example.

Some do give more if you get their service, though. Nintendo is very cheap, and includes a ton of nes and SNES games with it.

PS Plus gives a few free games every month. Pretty good ones, sometimes.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Simplest answer: Because people will pay it.

Not everyone is happy about it. Some games dont lock features behind subscriptions. Nintendo, for example.

Some do give more if you get their service, though. Nintendo is very cheap, and includes a ton of nes and SNES games with it.

PS Plus gives a few free games every month. Pretty good ones, sometimes.

Ya I got my daughter a switch for Christmas and I’ve been playing super Mario world and Mario kart on the old school SNES app. That’s an awesome feature I wish all companies would do.

I was just curious if there was a reason Microsoft and Sony charge a monthly subscription that I wasn’t aware of. You would think in the era of pushing cross play, one company could gain the upper hand and entice consumers to buy their product by offering free subscriptions.

Sadly you’re right. I don’t like it but continue to pay for it. Really have no choice if you wanna game with your buddies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ya I got my daughter a switch for Christmas and I’ve been playing super Mario world and Mario kart on the old school SNES app. That’s an awesome feature I wish all companies would do.

I was just curious if there was a reason Microsoft and Sony charge a monthly subscription that I wasn’t aware of. You would think in the era of pushing cross play, one company could gain the upper hand and entice consumers to buy their product by offering free subscriptions.

Sadly you’re right. I don’t like it but continue to pay for it. Really have no choice if you wanna game with your buddies.
    Sony did it because Microsoft got away with it. If the people had not been willing to pay, it would not have happened.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Going to share this, knowing not a lot of people will be interested in it.

Internet Historian has a unique way of explaining giant internet "happenings". Good channel.

He did a video tonight, 1hr long, on the launch of No Man's Sky... and the hype train-crash that followed it.

I'm sharing it... as a fan of No Man's Sky today, acknowledging the lies and misleading things that were done before it launched. I think the video is fair. First half-hour builds up why the hate was there, and the last half-hour gives NMS/Hello Games some credit that it truly deserves.

[video=youtube_share;O5BJVO3PDeQ]https://youtu.be/O5BJVO3PDeQ[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Been a while, think I'm finally ready to upgrade my Motherboard/CPU/RAM. Well... CPU... but the rest has to come with that, realistically.

My Intel 3570k is starting to show its age, and is by far the bottleneck in my PC right now. I think I'm going to go with AMD, maybe a 3800x. I've heard they're ahead of Intel these days.

Moving from DDR3 to DDR4 RAM will also be a nice move.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Been a while, think I'm finally ready to upgrade my Motherboard/CPU/RAM. Well... CPU... but the rest has to come with that, realistically.

My Intel 3570k is starting to show its age, and is by far the bottleneck in my PC right now. I think I'm going to go with AMD, maybe a 3800x. I've heard they're ahead of Intel these days.

Moving from DDR3 to DDR4 RAM will also be a nice move.

Your MCU is about two years newer than my Thunderbird...

I guess my strategy of waiting till AMD is competitive again might work.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Your MCU is about two years newer than my Thunderbird...

I guess my strategy of waiting till AMD is competitive again might work.

Yeah AMD really stepped up a couple years ago and made Intel sweat a bit. Intel blew their chance with absurd pricing of their i9, and lack of attention to serious security flaws. AMD released better products at a far better price, and has been the go-to in the gaming crowd for a little while now. Glad to see it. Competition is great for everyone.

In other news... if you want to have a little gaming sesh with Scarlett Johansson, dig up your old Gameboy and link cables!

zpo42lm731b41.jpg

Top Bottom