• ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yeah, me too.

I'm not convinced, but it is an interesting question. As interesting to me are the ways they try to measure/calculate/quantify the effect.
    I always found the estimates to be silly. A large percentage of those that pirate the material were never going to spend money on it, so how is that lost revenue?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I always found the estimates to be silly. A large percentage of those that pirate the material were never going to spend money on it, so how is that lost revenue?

This is true. There are a few reasons I see:

1. Ideological. You do not want to give your money to the particular people behind the game/show/movie/music for whatever reason.
    2. Availability. This is a big one. The game/show/movie isn't readily or easily available in your area.
    3. Frugality. Probably less prevalent than people want to think. You don't have much money, or just don't want to spend it on media.

I run into #2 a lot. If a show I want to watch isn't available on my various legal routes (Netflix, Amazon, Comcast, etc...), then I'll damn sure torrent it because they've made it so difficult to find. One case of this was Comcast's on-demand service being so poor at the time with artifacting and latency issues.

In the case of games, I find myself pirating far fewer than I used to. Steam has just made it so easy to manage your computer game library. Any game pirating I do these days is probably for handhelds and consoles. Either I don't think a game is worth the $30-60 price tag, or I refuse to play a localized/censored version of something.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I have trouble with a statistical reality: popular games both sell more and are pirated more. Making up a but-this-guy-wouldn't-have-bought-it-anyway factor is pure guesswork.

I haven't ... err... I don't know anyone who has pirated anything in a REALLY long time. Songs were easy targets, but now with satellite radio and streaming music and the really inexpensive ways to integrate new songs into my library, it seems like the need to pirate music just isn't there.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Your third reason is probably more prevalent with younger people who have less money.

Back in the day, there was a different reason for music. It was hard to get just one song. Paying for a whole album to get that one song was an expensive way to go. Today it is easy to buy a single song and the price is low, so I can't imagine there is a lot of piracy in the music industry any more.

Personally, I don't pirate movies or TV shows. I can wait to see whatever it is I want to see until I can get it through a normal method.

For games, I subscribe to Gamefly for PS4. My PC gaming days are behind me. My neck is permanently screwed up from sitting too much staring at a computer. I still do it too much for my job, but I get up and move more while working than I did while playing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One more note on the music side of it... "pre-order exclusives"

**** that noise. First, it's unrealistic to believe only people that pre-ordered your album or purchased it at a specific store are going to have that one extra track.

My wife has an artist that she loves, and she buys all the albums... but when they do that exclusive crap, she doesn't hesitate to pirate it, or rip it from YouTube.

Pre-order exclusives are a disgusting beast on their own, and I'll be happy to see that fad die off.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Cuphead finally released today to rave reviews and it looks incredible
    [video=youtube;7jvRoNPBHjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jvRoNPBHjk[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gameranx "Before you buy" on Cuphead

Sounds like those expecting a casual game will be surprised at its difficulty level

[video=youtube;9zotvzslRCI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zotvzslRCI[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Kings Quest?

I think it'd be hilarious if you still had to program the games before playing them... like the ones they included in the user manuals.

guessing_game.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Man, I remember doing that exercise. :)

Used another conditional set and random number generator to have the computer guess, too. Then see if I could do it quicker.

That also then led to different sorting strategies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    8-Bit Guy is doing a multipart series on the Commodore. Today's video is on the Vic-20. Pretty fascinating stuff.

[video=youtube;yg04GyhS3ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg04GyhS3ss[/video]

Top Bottom