The Funny Picture/Video Thread, 15th Edition: Be more like Coleman.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Listening to a podcast this morning, Guy Relford said, let me show my age with this.
    Then went on to describe something I understood.

So...

Yeah...

Me: "...like the Artist Formerly Known as Prince."
    Them: "What? What's he called now?"
    Me: "Prince."
    Them: "Then why did you call him the Artist Formerly Known as Prince?"

Then I had to explain the whole symbol period, drink my Metamucil, watch Matlock, and go to bed at 8.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Believe it or not, in the 70's and very early 80's, manuals for Japanese electronic products were full of the "F" word.
    Mostly in Pro Audio, but some consumer products, whenever the instructions called for you to insert a connector, or to plug something in, the manual would casually instruct you to "f*** the balanced line output into the return", or similar.
    I have several Yamaha Pro Audio manuals from this period that are just a scream to read.
    Rising market position and better translators brought this to a screeching halt in '82.
    I have kept some from my early purchases of Pro Audio Yamaha equipment. I ran a sound reinforcement company for over twenty five years.
    Started before I graduated high school in '74.

All JBL and Crown, until those amazing Yamaha amps came out.

Those amps could sit in the south Texas sun, at the beach in July, running at full power, too hot to touch and run all day with nothing but a cardboard box for shade. Fans of course, but too hot to lay your hand on.
    Crowns could take it for about half a day. Yamahas kept going.

I switched to those. Too invested at that point to drop JBL, but Yamaha also had some decent high end Pro gear of all sorts.
    I bought the very first PM1000, 24 channel board in south Texas, directly from Japan.
    "Hamamatsu to USA, Texas" stenciled crudely on the crate, all six sides.

The manuals were loaded with valid and helpful details about constructing a large sound system.

They even got into some basic trig for figuring crossover points properly for their driver systems.

Worked for a company back then. Boss gathered up all the manuals and trashed them.

:):

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Believe it or not, in the 70's and very early 80's, manuals for Japanese electronic products were full of the "F" word.
    Mostly in Pro Audio, but some consumer products, whenever the instructions called for you to insert a connector, or to plug something in, the manual would casually instruct you to "f*** the balanced line output into the return", or similar.
    I have several Yamaha Pro Audio manuals from this period that are just a scream to read.
    Rising market position and better translators brought this to a screeching halt in '82.
    I wonder if this was left over from the post World War II Reconstruction. One of the books I read about rebuilding Japan noted that just like Germany it was pretty much a mess.

The Japanese were trying to figure out ways to make money off of the occupation forces so they started little businesses that provided services like laundry, and dry cleaning, and shoe repair, and so forth. In order to attract Americans, they would ask the GIs for American words and phrases to use in the names of theirshops.

Of course anybody who knows American GIs knows this was a big mistake and they ended up with stuff like “Smega Laundry and Tailor.”

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom