Central Indiana
    47396779_946784452179779_1396548370511691776_n.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This clearly was inspired by disco. There is a direct link in the pathology of disco that can be traced back to shag carpet. It's all interrelated. The 70's were both awful and wonderful. It's just really hard to prove the wonderful part given the lingering evidence.

deguisement-disco-5.jpg
    Yep, I think there’s still some lingering evidence floating around in my system!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The pinto was only likely to burn you to a crisp if a "journalist" were to rig it with explosives.

Well, no. Actually, that was the Chevy pick-up with the side-saddle gas tanks. NBC Dateline arranged for model rocket motors to be placed near the gas tanks, used an ill-fitting gas cap to insure there would be spillage, and then rammed the trucks in the side. They got sued by General Motors and lost. That was when many began to realize that Big Media equals Bid Liars.

OldHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    My grandfather had a tv for a while, but it died. A couple of years later he went to buy a new one. The salesman asked what size he had, and my grandfather said he hadn't had one for 2 years. The salesman, great guy that he was, "says why do you want to get one then?" My grandfather thought a minute, agreed, and left. He (the grandfather) lived to be 105, would walk 5 or 10 miles a day until he was in his 90s, seem to know half of Lexington, Ky, and was very active. I attribute his long and well-lived life in part to never learning how to drive (he wanted to in his 80s, but none of his relatives was willing to take it on, thank goodness) and living without TV for much of it.

OldHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Cleaning out some stuff and Mom and Dad's house, we found a receipt for a Sears TV from 1978. 19", color, no remote- $519.95.

From the interwebs: "In other words, $100 in 1978 is equivalent in purchasing power to $375.95 in 2017, a difference of $275.95 over 39 year". So that $519 TV was close to $2000 in 2017 dollars.

And yes, I realize this should be in the "Sad but true" thread.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Mother Jones published an article based upon a damning internal memo from Ford and used the article to apply pressure to the NHTSA. The NHTSA at first resisted the pressure, sticking to its normal procedures regarding recalls, but eventually acquiesced and started recall proceedings in an accelerated fashion and set up a test that, while not really rigged and not involving explosives, went far beyond how small cars were normally crash tested at the time, making it more likely to create a fire. For instance, they filled the tank to the brim with gas, switched the headlights on, used a higher speed and used an impact vehicle with a sharper front rather than a flat barrier. They got their fire.

That being said, it all started with Ford's own words.

https://www.autosafety.org/wp-content/uploads/import/phpq3mJ7F_FordMemo.pdf

cost.png

The cost of saving an estimated 180 burn deaths, 180 serious burn injuries and 2100 injuries was $137 million, the benefit was saving $49.5 million in payouts to families. The conclusion of this memo was that implementing an $11.00 per vehicle fix would not yield a reasonable benefit, so the fix was not voluntarily implemented.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    From the interwebs: "In other words, $100 in 1978 is equivalent in purchasing power to $375.95 in 2017, a difference of $275.95 over 39 year". So that $519 TV was close to $2000 in 2017 dollars.

And yes, I realize this should be in the "Sad but true" thread.

This should be the normal progression of prices for goods and services over time, things get better and cheaper (unless of course government gets involved).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Like a college education.:rolleyes:

Well, that should get better, but prices should track inflation. There is not much that should be expected to cause downward price trending.

Unfortunately, due to government interference, price increases far oustrip imflation. The government provides all kinds of grants to low income people and abundant loans to middle and higher people making no one, but we select few who take neither care about price....and we are not numerous enough to drive prices anywhere.

Wait....that isn't funny. This is:

support.png

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In 1934 the average retail price for a gallon of gasoline was $0.19. You could pay for that gallon of gasoline with two silver dimes and get a penny in change.
    Today those dimes are worth $3.00 each.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom