• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've done that...ALWAYS on the hottest, humid days of the year.

I have slung thousands and thousands of bales, of both hay and straw.

Our barn is 40'x60'. From the hay loft floor to the peak of the roof was just under 50'. We filled that loft with hay/straw every summer.

I still have nightmares.:crying:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    You guys had it easy :rolleyes:...

baling_hay_youtube-11.png

Yarg!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You guys had it easy :rolleyes:...

baling_hay_youtube-11.png

Those guys have it easy. The crew I worked with had older equipment that puked the bails out on the ground, the trailer followed along and it was my job to chuck them up on the trailer. At the time I thought it was fun, and they paid and fed me...:rockwoot:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Those guys have it easy. The crew I worked with had older equipment that puked the bails out on the ground, the trailer followed along and it was my job to chuck them up on the trailer. At the time I thought it was fun, and they paid and fed me...:rockwoot:

We were stronger and more sunburned than we would have been otherwise. We learned that hard work paid money. Bought my first new gun and paid for a lot of dates on the $2 an hour I earned throwing hay bales. Sweated gallons of water and lemonade out and learned just how much of a manly man my dad and grandfather and their peers really were and had to be from watching them and hearing their stories. I miss the men I knew in those fields and it just got really dusty in here.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We were stronger and more sunburned than we would have been otherwise. We learned that hard work paid money. Bought my first new gun and paid for a lot of dates on the $2 an hour I earned throwing hay bales. Sweated gallons of water and lemonade out and learned just how much of a manly man my dad and grandfather and their peers really were and had to be from watching them and hearing their stories. I miss the men I knew in those fields and it just got really dusty in here.

Much the same with me. I threw and stacked a lot of bales at $2.00 an hour, and I remember when I was 16 my "seniority" allowed me to keep my spot in the field stacking on the wagon and not in the barn loft. Saved up $300 to buy my first car, a 1966 Mustang (6 cylinder with a busted 3-speed transmission).

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Much the same with me. I threw and stacked a lot of bales at $2.00 an hour, and I remember when I was 16 my "seniority" allowed me to keep my spot in the field stacking on the wagon and not in the barn loft. Saved up $300 to buy my first car, a 1966 Mustang (6 cylinder with a busted 3-speed transmission).

"Seniority"? Just meant that you had to handle every bale. Not every other one, like the two guys throwing them to you. :): And you knew enough to stack things so they tied together and didn't fall off!
    It WAS easier than walking though.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

$2/hr? You must have been in the haytosser's union. I got a $1. Said screw this and went to work at the BC State Park for...I think $2.50/hr to start with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom