Uranus
    dnWmAEG.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, I find it funny...as in sad, shake my head, funny.

I love it when my facebook friends post stuff like this:

pic1.png

:ranton:

Why the hate? Teach your kids its OK to work with their hands and make cool stuff.

Why the "not everyone's a doctor or lawyer" thing? Sure it's true, but this smacks of class envy (not that I have much class).

....and oh the jealousy when they find out that some doctors and lawyers can work with their hands and make cool stuff.

Just do your thing and I'll do mine. Don't tell little Johnny or Jane: "you see those doctors and lawyers, you're not going to be one, so work with your hands and make cool stuff."

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    When I see stuff like that it is just a reminder that college is not for everyone. We need people doing all sorts of occupations to make the economy work. Too many people have been led to believe that everyone needs to go to college. Not true. For some it is a waste of time and money. I don't sense any class envy or jealousy, just common sense.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Well, I find it funny...as in sad, shake my head, funny.

I love it when my facebook friends post stuff like this:

pic1.png

:ranton:

Why the hate? Teach your kids its OK to work with their hands and make cool stuff.

Why the "not everyone's a doctor or lawyer" thing? Sure it's true, but this smacks of class envy (not that I have much class).

....and oh the jealousy when they find out that some doctors and lawyers can work with their hands and make cool stuff.

Just do your thing and I'll do mine. Don't tell little Johnny or Jane: "you see those doctors and lawyers, you're not going to be one, so work with your hands and make cool stuff."

Looking at that meme from the IANAL side...

It takes hard work, dedication and smarts to be a Doctor or Lawyer. Hey kid, if you don't want to be a Doctor or lawyer, that's OK. You can still have a positive impact on society + do something you love.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    kfc.png

If you are interested in some funny advertisement translation failures, like "finger licking good" translating to "We'll eat your fingers off," you can see them here.

I particularly liked the one for Perdue Chicken:
    Original: "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken"

Translation: "It takes a hard man to make a chicken aroused" and "It takes a virile man to make a chicken pregnant" in Mexico.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Looking at that meme from the IANAL side...

It takes hard work, dedication and smarts to be a Doctor or Lawyer. Hey kid, if you don't want to be a Doctor or lawyer, that's OK. You can still have a positive impact on society + do something you love.

Yeah, I don’t care about from my perspective as a lawyer that much.

Why are we pitting professions versus trade? We need them all.

What is more, this seems to imply that being a doctor or lawyer is beyond some people, so don’t try. Well, being a doctor or lawyer is not for everyone, but if you feel like it is, don’t let someone tell you it’s not for you. Maybe you do and fail....but if you don’t try, geez. Honestly, I see a lot of parents and family member to try to tamp down their kid’s enthusiasm for pursuing very log term goals like this. It’s sad.

Also, don’t let the money stop you. First of all, there are plenty of ways of avoiding crushing debt, but some level of debt for these professions make sense. It’s like taking out a loan to start a business.

In other words, if you find yourself making a good life in the trades, great! You can feel perfectly content without comparing yourself.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, I don’t care about from my perspective as a lawyer that much.

Why are we pitting professions versus trade? We need them all.

What is more, this seems to imply that being a doctor or lawyer is beyond some people, so don’t try. Well, being a doctor or lawyer is not for everyone, but if you feel like it is, don’t let someone tell you it’s not for you. Maybe you do and fail....but if you don’t try, geez. Honestly, I see a lot of parents and family member to try to tamp down their kid’s enthusiasm for pursuing very log term goals like this. It’s sad.

Also, don’t let the money stop you. First of all, there are plenty of ways of avoiding crushing debt, but some level of debt for these professions make sense. It’s like taking out a loan to start a business.

In other words, if you find yourself making a good life in the trades, great! You can feel perfectly content without comparing yourself.

Well, being a physician is beyond some people, but being a lawyer . . . yeah . . .

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom