• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Granted, but I still argue that the chart is subjective - temperature x at humidity y feels like temperature x'. My skepticism arises from the likely dearth of (surviving) people that know what an OAT of 180F feels like well enough to relate it to temp x at humidity y

I suspect they postulated a relationship that "worked" for a narrow range of conditions and then pushed the parameters waaaay beyond any range where they should have had confidence in the results. Not an uncommon problem

Sure there is some subjective interpretation when you use the phrase "feels like," which I would probably have avoided had I been consulted on the implementation. Hah!

My points were to address the idea that heat index is some kind of deception or deliberate hoax being used to manipulate people for some reason I don't see. It's not. It's not a perfect tool, but it works really well for most people.

I also don't think most people use it in such a literal manner. I think they it helps them make the connection that that they're going to feel hotter in general when the humidity is higher and gives them a ballpark of when it's going to be dangerous (based on their own body and experienced) to be outside for prolonged periods. In that, it's a success.

I think it could be particularly useful for someone from a dry climate like Arizona or Colorado who is unaware of the additional stress high humidity puts on a body when the temperature is high. They may not have fully embraced that they can't rely on a wicking t-shirt and a breeze to keep them cool.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My only point is that "I personally" Do not give a flip what the temperature is. I have worked outside most of my life, Army and then carpenter. I was taught to take care of myself.

If it is cold I dress in layers, I can take off what I don't need.

If it is cold and windy, I take care to cover exposed skin so it is not dehydrated, and more prone to frostbite.

If it is raining I have protective gear.

If it is hot, Since I am prone to dehydration I have to keep my fluids up.

If it is hot and humid, I need to drink even more because I sweat profusely.

I personally do not care what the actual temperature or humidity is, because I know how to protect myself.

I feel the general population would be better served if they were taught how to contend with their environment rather than having arbitrary numbers thrown at them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think a format more like wind chill would be more useful. The windchill charts I'm thinking of give the length of time exposed skin takes to bein experiencing frost bite. Something similar relating the hot environment to reduced times before core temp becomes a concern would be more useful

I don't think the chart is a deception or a hoax, I just think it is not well grounded in reality

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    %D7%9B%D7%9C%D7%91-%D7%91%D7%A7%D7%99%D7%99%D7%A5.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, basically, whatever just happened above is like jr. high school for the rest of us? Crush on a chick, find out she isn't available, somehow rationalize it is all her fault, pout, and move on? Only, now it is super public for the world to see. And this dude is what, 30?

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    .... and after he lost so much weight. Started being healthy.

That is like I always say... all healthy people die.

He was a great comedian tho. Wish I could find his part about when he went to Hawaii. That was funny.

I went looking and could not find anything on it either. Did find this and spent 7 minutes laughing my ass off. Mostly clean language too.

[video=youtube;sTLnlR5kkL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTLnlR5kkL4[/video]

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I went looking and could not find anything on it either. Did find this and spent 7 minutes laughing my ass off. Mostly clean language too.

That was funny... the bit I am looking for was one of Ron White's salute to the troops. I recorded it years ago. Watched it a lot... then it got wiped. Never able to find it again.

Thanks for the morning laugh... now I am seven minutes late...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My first thought was "That's NOT funny" and then I scrolled down...

Top pic is still not funny, but meme is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom