gzxj6y0o81x01.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Bad hashtags should be the next thing after badly formed urls like kidsexchange.com. I bet there's a site already.

When I grew up, we'd leave the house after lunch, and alarm didn't start to kick in until dinner time. It was always some kid had been invited to dinner and didn't have the couth to call home. We had a creek, complete with leaches, other ponds coming and going in some of the vacant lots as someone was probably disposing hazardous waste, trees to forest level, junk piles that had been dumped, rocks and pieces of metal to throw at each other, I swear we played king of the hill by pelting each other with fist sized rocks. Of course once in a while we'd find a few abandoned beers and pr0n along the north boundary. Little snowflakes these days wouldn't have left the house without helmets.

My dad had to restrain me physically from doing electrical work before I was 10, and I was mowing lawns for money at that age. Something needed to be done, I'd do it if nobody got hired first. I had to get back surgery because I used mine up.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, I'm still refusing back surgery because flock that. I know so many folks who did it and it only got worse. Life is pain, it will stop hurting when I die...maybe.

I'm with Thor on this. I don't know anybody that had it done that doesn't regret it (sample size is only four, though)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Something to know about back surgery:

In general, the efficacy of spinal surgeries depends heavily on the symptoms. If your pain is primarily or exclusively in your back and you don't have sciatic pain, numbness, or loss of motor function, surgeries are often unsuccessful at relieving the pain. On the other hand, if you have significant sciatic pain, numbness, loss of motor function, atrophy of lower limbs, etc., then surgeries are generally very effective and often life-saving. For the latter group, it may be the only option to avoid eventual paralysis.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was immobile. I could drag my carcass a few meters leaning hard on a very stout cane, the whole time scouting for the next seat I could use. Otherwise I was on wheels. I had to learn how to walk again, but past that, yeah, I still have some pain when I push myself, but it was a world of difference. I can walk without the cane, nevermind a walker, and I'm pretty much always on a regular shopping cart now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was immobile. I could drag my carcass a few meters leaning hard on a very stout cane, the whole time scouting for the next seat I could use. Otherwise I was on wheels. I had to learn how to walk again, but past that, yeah, I still have some pain when I push myself, but it was a world of difference. I can walk without the cane, nevermind a walker, and I'm pretty much always on a regular shopping cart now.

There are not many things worse than what you describe, both physically and emotionally. Most people can't comprehend what it's like, even many who believe that have really bad back problems.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    There are not many things worse than what you describe, both physically and emotionally. Most people can't comprehend what it's like, even many who believe that have really bad back problems.

June 17, 1997; A date which will live forever in my mind. But the morphine when I woke up was AWESOME. As you describe, there is almost nothing more life destroying than a serious lower back issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom