Merrillville
    16998128_1328914027167129_8139466916643701755_n.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh that was real. It's what happens when a modern torpedo operates as intended. Instead of hitting the side, they explode a few feet under the ship with utterly devastating results.

I wasn't talking about the effects of the torpedo. I was referring specifically the ship itself.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wasn't talking about the effects of the torpedo. I was referring specifically the ship itself.

The ship is made up of many plates of metal. That's one reason the torpedo is so effective.
    Torpedoes that hit the side only use approximately 1/6 of their energy.
    Forces up/down/fore/aft/away are wasted.
    Lightweight torpedoes used shaped charges, and still can only raise the percent a bit.
    Heavyweights such as the 48 go under. The explosion up (1/6) goes into the ship. Water doesn't compress, so downward (1/6) reflects up into the ship. Now the explosion is doubled.
    Explosion fore (1/6) and aft (1/6) flows in those directions, eventually going port and starboard due to the shape of the hull, adding to the explosion going port and starboard. (Fore 1/6, aft 1/6, port 1/6, stbd 1/6).
    So 4/6 blows the water out from under the hull.
    So 2/6 (yes, I know, 1/3) goes up breaking the back. Plates and ribs are shattered.
    Then 4/6 blows out support leaving the broken backed ship supported mostly just by the ends.

Then due to the various factors, it has a large payload. And that payload is one of the more powerful types available since torpedoes were invented. So the upward blast is pretty damn bad assed.

So the center of the ship is turned into Lincoln Logs.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Rhino, that ship was likely gutted of anything useful before being used in the test, that's why it was bobbing in the water so that it looked like a model. The fact that it was sitting with so little hull actually in the water makes the torpedo's effects that much more impressive

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wasn't the Mark 14 supposed to do that?:)

Okay.
    We're ruining the picture thread.

So I'll finish up with this post.
    Any more discussion needed, maybe we can break out a new thread.

BOTH the Mk 14 and Mk 18 torpedoes were designed to use magnetic exploders (or contact exploders). The Mk 14 (steam) was in use at the start of the war, so had more problems than the Mk 18 (electric) because it was never tested in real conditions and surrounding secrecy Naval Weapons insisted on (and their later denials that there either were NO problems, or they were caused by the fleet).
    By the time the 18 was in service, the magnetic exploders were improved. But the 14 left such a bad taste in the service, that they often continued to disable the magnetic exploder, against orders, just as it was against orders on the 14. And who can blame them. Imagine creeping into position to attack a convoy, past the anti-submarine destroyers, darting here and there, plotting courses of multiple ships, atmosphere getting rank, temperatures rising.. and finally launching your attack. The time clicks off, marking time to detonation. (Scope is down to prevent detection) Then, either the torp detonates prematurely, or detonates on end of run (to prevent capture of the weapon, or danger to shipping, they detonated at end of run).
    So, now EVERYONE knows you're there, but your tubes are either empty, or partial full. And multiple ships are trying to kill you. Ships that don't have to worry about oxygen depletion. Ships that can zip around at 30-36 knots compared to your 2-6. Ships that have hundreds of depth charges, compared to your dozens of torps.
    So ships deactivated the mag exploder. Problems were there was electrical sensitivity problems, and less knowledge about the world's magnetic signature. But they didn't know that yet.
    Later, improvements were made in the Mk 18, some of because of lessons learned by studying German torpedoes that had come up on a beach and the beach prevented them from end of run explosions. How about the nads on those guys. Hey you. There's a couple torpedoes over there. Can you please deactivate them so they won't explode and kill our skilled personnel. You "should be" okay.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, that ship was likely gutted of anything useful before being used in the test, that's why it was bobbing in the water so that it looked like a model. The fact that it was sitting with so little hull actually in the water makes the torpedo's effects that much more impressive

Ah! There you go!

I think you must be the only one who understood my message.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom