• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Didn't the myth busters prove it was better to wait till the last minute to merge?

EDIT: Ok maybe not mythbusters but a lot of studies.

If there was a clearly defined merge zone and people simply slowed down a little while alternating every other car from each lane it would all go very smoothly. It is the sudden forcing your way in that causes people to hit their brakes that results in the big jams. A large part of the problem is that the actual merge zone is never defined; there are just warning signs with distances that may or may not be accurate.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If there was a clearly defined merge zone and people simply slowed down a little while alternating every other car from each lane it would all go very smoothly. It is the sudden forcing your way in that causes people to hit their brakes that results in the big jams. A large part of the problem is that the actual merge zone is never defined; there are just warning signs with distances that may or may not be accurate.

No. The problem is, people not moving over at the first sign.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Really?
    Speeding up and jumping in line is being a "gentleman"?

The data may agree with it... but I assure you these people aren't speeding up and merging because of the data. They're doing it because they're *******s.

There's a 0% chance that they're sitting there thinking, "I'm doing the gentlemanly thing."

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I think everybody should drive on the LA freeways for a week before getting their license. It's an eye opener. What works on paper and in computer models only works if everyone's on board. In LA, nobody's on board. :xmad:

And now this -

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The data may agree with it... but I assure you these people aren't speeding up and merging because of the data. They're doing it because they're *******s.

There's a 0% chance that they're sitting there thinking, "I'm doing the gentlemanly thing."

I can prove you wrong. 1 person doing it is > 0%.

I do it not because I'm an *******, but because I believe it is more efficient and I do it without impacting drivers behind me.

There's a thread for this discussion. I even explain how to do it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, don't try that on me, you'll get a rude gesture and pointed and laughed at as I leave you literally stuck in the dirt. I'll leave it in first, speed up and slow down as necessary until you literally have no way out. In my experience, the people behind me hate people like you enough they won't let you in either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, don't try that on me, you'll get a rude gesture and pointed and laughed at as I leave you literally stuck in the dirt. I'll leave it in first, speed up and slow down as necessary until you literally have no way out. In my experience, the people behind me hate people like you enough they won't let you in either.

Read the other thread. You won't have the chance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom