• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    XP. Wanting to start a dual boot with Red Hat unless you know of a better version.

macosx.png

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    XP. Wanting to start a dual boot with Red Hat unless you know of a better version.

Red Hat is kinda an industrial level flavor. I think you'd be better served by a more consumer-level flavor.

SE, actually the way I'm seeing it your missing more like 15...

and on XP...

to Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu... that is the question.

Ubuntu would be good. Perhaps Fedora if you're really nerdy. But I'd recommend Ubuntu as the standard consumer flavor of Linux.

Ha! Yeah that'd be the best *nix flavor, but sadly it just isn't widely and easily available at the low, low cost of "free". Not everybody wants a Ferrari. Some people like to build and customize their own low-cost hot rods.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Dang it!!! Not enough time, I only have a high point and 6 rounds of 9mm!!!! and one can of chicken & Rice soup!!! but odes that count??? :D

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hmmm... so, tomorrow is the last day of school before Spring Break. So my food stuffs are running low because I thought it'd be dumb to buy a bunch and leave it in the fridge while I'm home for break (been there, done that, didn't end well). So! This means I get to go out for supper tonight.

Suggestions?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hmmm... so, tomorrow is the last day of school before Spring Break. So my food stuffs are running low because I thought it'd be dumb to buy a bunch and leave it in the fridge while I'm home for break (been there, done that, didn't end well). So! This means I get to go out for supper tonight.

Suggestions?

I'd say Tx. Roadhouse. Yeah, its a chain, but one of the ones that I liked to frequent when I was in the Haute. Good chance to stock up on protien and carbs just in case the S really has hit the F.

Of course there is First Wok if you want cheap and quick, and you would get your ration of rice that way too.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'd say Tx. Roadhouse. Yeah, its a chain, but one of the ones that I liked to frequent when I was in the Haute. Good chance to stock up on protien and carbs just in case the S really has hit the F.

Of course there is First Wok if you want cheap and quick, and you would get your ration of rice that way too.

First Wok! Excellent idea! Since I'll be gone for break, this is my last chance to get some!

Rep inbound, bud.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

Suggestions?

I think so...must have been a 24 bug, huh? :D

The site admin, moderator, and non-supporter tags all look right to me now, but I still see "groupie" for all the site supporters.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Actual Red Hat Enterprise is stable, but usually doesn't have the latest and greatest of everything. Fedora is the test bed for Red Hat, and has the latest/greatest, which is not ALWAYS a good thing, although problems are fairly easily worked around.

My biggest gripe with Fedora (which is what I use), is the 6 month update schedule. Unless you are willing to regularly perform fairly major 6 month upgrades, you will soon fall behind, and find that some newer stuff won't compile.

Ubuntu is kind of a Linux for people who really like Windows. It's got lots of buzzers, bells, and eye candy, at the expense of system resources. They also are making it increasingly difficult to "get under the hood" and easily do system functions at the level you need to to be able to fine tune things to your liking.

CentOS may be a good choice. It's based on Red Hat/Fedora, but uses more of a rolling upgrade - where the entire system is updated as it automatically performs the regular upgrades.

A lot of it depends on if you have any special needs. There are Linux distros which specialize in multi-channel audio recording, and others that target video editing. You can get any of them to do what you need, but if you have specific tasks in mind that are out of the ordinary, then things are a bit easier if you start with a distro which is already configured for those tasks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom