Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In other words do what successful, happy people do. I won't use such a broad brush about morals, because most certainly a lack of morals isn't unique to the black community. However, the immoral behavior has been allowed to gain a foothold to such an extent that we have what we have today. What's that saying? The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing? That seems to be what has happened and continues to happen. Not just in the black community, but in society in general.

Good people can not do anything for fear of reprisal. Being labeled a racist is not comfortable. When the truth is spoken the PC crowd errupts and starts twisting the facts and labaling those who are stating them. We are seeing it right now. The media is at the core of this.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I dare say, my example involving property, is much more relevant to this Ferguson fiasco, than a knife wielding psycho/wayward dog chasing a terrified child. So, would you handle these situations in the exactly same way? And if not, why?

I’ll further state, that “being aware” of wrongdoing, isn’tthe only litmus test for separating humans from animals. Consideration of theconsequences also matters.
    If the human was wearing a bandana across his face to disguise his identity, that is ample evidence of his consideration of the consequences, since he manifestly took steps to avoid them by foiling any efforts to identify him in the aftermath of the crime and thus tie him back to his own criminal actions. And if the human were wielding a weapon, a club, a knife, a molotov cocktail, in his pursuit of my chicken in my own well-fenced backyard, then yes, I would consider that the kind of violent trespass that reasonably leads to a belief that they are there for purposes that lead to my grievous bodily injury or death and would employ lethal countermeasures to prevent same as appropriate.

What I was also saying up-thread was that I shouldn't have to wait for the physical attack on my own person, or that of another human being, to come for me to be justified in
    pointing a firearm at a person manifestly engaged in criminal conduct, just because that conduct is directed against property. That chicken might represent my family's sole source of protein for the foreseeable future. The car thief may be crippling my family's ability to get back and forth to our sole means of income, obtaining food, or obtaining medical care. The "mere" thief, in the act of committing their crimes, is nothing that can or should be coddled from the use of lethal force by their victims.

And I know that the police have no compunction against going to guns at the least
    provocation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good people can not do anything for fear of reprisal. Being labeled a racist is not comfortable. When the truth is spoken the PC crowd errupts and starts twisting the facts and labaling those who are stating them. We are seeing it right now. The media is at the core of this.

This is why it needs to come from within the community. If I criticize you for your behavior (like shooting a Glock or not wearing pants :):), you're not going to label me as a racist.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is why it needs to come from within the community. If I criticize you for your behavior (like shooting a Glock or not wearing pants :):), you're not going to label me as a racist.

Well, no.
    1st.....are you watching me right now and how did you know I am not wearing pants.......:)
    2nd....I can not denie I have shot a Glock as there are pics proving this fact.

I can make an analogy out of this humor though. These people will denie a fact even when there is video/pics of the act. I as an honest and moral person can only hang my head in shame when the Glock pics are shown.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, no.
    1st.....are you watching me right now and how did you know I am not wearing pants.......:) -Hey, I hear things!
    2nd....I can not denie I have shot a Glock as there are pics proving this fact.

I can make an analogy out of this humor though. These people will denie a fact even when there is video/pics of the act. I as an honest and moral person can only hang my head in shame when the Glock pics are shown.

"These people" being the ones committing the act. What I'm saying is that their peers (the majority that are NOT committing the act) need to call them out on it if they are not being honest about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "These people" being the ones committing the act. What I'm saying is that their peers (the majority that are NOT committing the act) need to call them out on it if they are not being honest about it.

And until they do this will only escalate.

And yes....."these People" are those committing the acts of vandalism/rioting/looting.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Snitches get Stitches.

As a group some communities tolerate the behavior that makes their own lives and community intolerable to live in. The thugs intimidate and theaten them. They don't trust the police or the police are in effective because twenty people witnessing a crime never saw anything or are afraid to speak out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Snitches get Stitches.

As a group some communities tolerate the behavior that makes their own lives and community intolerable to live in. The thugs intimidate and theaten them. They don't trust the police or the police are in effective because twenty people witnessing a crime never saw anything or are afraid to speak out.
    Precisely. Until there is a fundamental change in this mindset, things will not improve.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Animals? Humans?

Neither; I heard a handgun instructor explain it this way:

When someone threatens your life, that person ceases to be a person; they become a problem to be solved.
    Generally, the solution involves shooting to center of mass until the "problem" is no longer a threat.
    When the problem is no longer a threat, the problem becomes a human being again. We will call an ambulance, render first aid (if we can do so safely), and pray for their recovery. However, as long as they are a threat, they are simply a problem.

A person's behavior defines their status. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Animals? Humans?

Neither; I heard a handgun instructor explain it this way:

When someone threatens your life, that person ceases to be a person; they become a problem to be solved.
    Generally, the solution involves shooting to center of mass until the "problem" is no longer a threat.
    When the problem is no longer a threat, the problem becomes a human being again. We will call an ambulance, render first aid (if we can do so safely), and pray for their recovery. However, as long as they are a threat, they are simply a problem.

A person's behavior defines their status. Makes sense to me.
    Along this same line of thought, a friend/coworker was involved in a shooting several days ago on the south side. He shot a guy while trying to serve an arrest warrant. They then immediately rendered first aid, saving his life. The only reason the suspect is alive now is from the officer's immediate first aid. It's called HUMANITY....

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Along this same line of thought, a friend/coworker was involved in a shooting several days ago on the south side. He shot a guy while trying to serve an arrest warrant. They then immediately rendered first aid, saving his life. The only reason the suspect is alive now is from the officer's immediate first aid. It's called HUMANITY....

Its part of my plan as well. Shoot to stop the threat, then render fist aid as necessary.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

First, kudos to your fellow officer! I mentioned this incident upthread. The headline for the incident could easily have been "Cop shoots unarmed man", yet there was no community outcry, no protests, no rioting, etc.. "Interesting", isn't it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for your reply and the thoughts behind and within it, Joey.

. . . snip . . .Does that make more sense?

Thank you, sir, for the clarification. Yes, it does make more sense. I think the disconnect between us primarily one of language and not of concept or principle.

The nuance that seems evident now is that you don't think we should contribute to what the bad actors have already done. There is some merit in that, but given limited resources, I choose to reserve my third and 27th chances for people I know to have some redeeming qualities, but who have mis-stepped AND for whom I have a reason to not dismiss them. I don't have what it takes to do that for all of humanity, especially for people who deliberately behave so badly.

I'm on the positive side of neutral of people I don't know by default. It's easy to become someone I like and respect by one's actions. It's much harder for me to completely dismiss someone, but once an obvious (to me) threshold is crossed, I'm done unless and until there is a concerted, sincere effort at redemption. The limits on my compassion are something I own, which means I not only have to recognize them, but also accommodate them.

And, ultimately, if someone or a group of people behave in a manner that I deem subhuman, it's likely I will continue to use the word "animal" to describe them because it fits.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Snitches get Stitches.

Hard to tell what part of the world your talking about….if it wasn't on the Ferguson thread one might think of a Muslim country. I agree with what you said, but in Fergusan their were several witnesses who went to the grand jury, and said what Wilson was saying. So there were people who stood up, what we have here was a media that behaved like the (insert name calling here) and kept adding fuel to the fire. So now any good person is not only going to get persecuted by the (insert name calling here) but also most likely the media, they will even tell the world where you iive if they don't like you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hard to tell what part of the world your talking about….if it wasn't on the Ferguson thread one might think of a Muslim country. I agree with what you said, but in Fergusan their were several witnesses who went to the grand jury, and said what Wilson was saying. So there were people who stood up, what we have here was a media that behaved like the (insert name calling here) and kept adding fuel to the fire. So now any good person is not only going to get persecuted by the (insert name calling here) but also most likely the media, they will even tell the world where you iive if they don't like you.

Post #2381

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I keep seeing people holding up signs at these protests saying, "Black Lives Matter". Well, yes they do, and they should. However, why do they only seem to matter when we have something like this happen - a white cop killing a black person? Is the loss of a black person's life any less important if it is taken by another black person? This happens far and away more often than the other, yet there is no outrage. It seems to be looked as as just the "cost of doing business" (ie the "business" of living life). I think that's the real shame and is the real issue that needs to be addressed. I know that given the things that have been coming to light about Bill Cosby may make him a bad example to bring up, but he has voiced his view on this issue often, and very eloquently. The folks like Sharpton and Jackson would be better served if they did the same, IMHO.

I'm still waiting for the explanation and outrage from the community about DeAndre Joshua.
    Shot in the head an set on fire while sitting in his car........ to blocks down from the Brown incident on the night of the riots.

If the human was wearing a bandana across his face to disguise his identity, that is ample evidence of his consideration of the consequences, since he manifestly took steps to avoid them by foiling any efforts to identify him in the aftermath of the crime and thus tie him back to his own criminal actions. ...........................

NO NO NO They are just wearing the masks because they knew the police would tear gas them.... or something.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And in this you sir, are wrong.

That would be one hell of a condemnation of those that believe such. I would remind that I responded, that I did not believe the protesters that committed the crimes we have seen, lacked morals. It's a very tiny world view that would assume that morals are shared.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom