The don't make em like they used to.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I have two Taurus Revolvers in .45 acp.
    They are well made and I would trust my life to either one.

I don't know enough about the condition of the pistol to make a judgement.
    If it had interchangable barrels, was the barrel properly attached etc., too many variables.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We had a worse failure with a S&W .44 Mag revolver (629 I think) at our Gun Club in College. The shooter was fairly experienced and said that the preceding round was full power. The next round blew the cylinder in many pieces (mostly into two 1/3 and 2/3 cylinder sized pieces), blew off the top strap and a few other pieces.

Luckily no one was hurt. The tarp to catch brass showed a gouge where parts or the shrapnel had hit. We were lucky. Our adviser was an ME Prof, specializing in metal fatigue. So as a practical experience, this was very interesting. S&W also showed interest in looking at the failure to see what improvements it suggested.

These were reloads and the only thing we could figure is a double charge. We tested this later and were able to seat a bullet with a double charge. It was noticeable, but could have been missed. We immediately switched to a bulkier powder for the .44 Mag reloads. This made a double charge impossible to seat a bullet. Something to always think about with older cartridges that have higher volumes than modern powders require for the pressure needed.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    We had a worse failure with a S&W .44 Mag revolver (629 I think) at our Gun Club in College. The shooter was fairly experienced and said that the preceding round was full power. The next round blew the cylinder in many pieces (mostly into two 1/3 and 2/3 cylinder sized pieces), blew off the top strap and a few other pieces.

Luckily no one was hurt. The tarp to catch brass showed a gouge where parts or the shrapnel had hit. We were lucky. Our adviser was an ME Prof, specializing in metal fatigue. So as a practical experience, this was very interesting. S&W also showed interest in looking at the failure to see what improvements it suggested.

These were reloads and the only thing we could figure is a double charge. We tested this later and were able to seat a bullet with a double charge. It was noticeable, but could have been missed. We immediately switched to a bulkier powder for the .44 Mag reloads. This made a double charge impossible to seat a bullet. Something to always think about with older cartridges that have higher volumes than modern powders require for the pressure needed.
    I remember hearing that story a few times . . . probably a big reason why our .44 mags feel more in line with a light .44 Special now.:eek:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I remember hearing that story a few times . . . probably a big reason why our .44 mags feel more in line with a light .44 Special now.:eek:

I remember stepping on the line with my personal .44 Mag rounds (Lead flat point, Jacketed) and my comped 629. These were the rounds Dad used to use for taking deer. Very good for after finals stress relief. When I finished 2 rounds, everyone else was just watching and enjoying the percussion. :) After making 6 steel knockdowns "respect my authoritah", I dump out the brass and turn around to see Don in a big grin.

Hard to believe "little" Stephen is in College now. Looks like he was a VP in the club last year. I remember one of my last shoots as a range officer, Don's daughter was shooting. I didn't recognize her and asked if she needed any help (assuming a young freshman.) Double tap body. Double tap body. Head shot. Head shot. Slide locks back. Drops a mag. "No. I'm fine." :lmfao::thumbsup:

I'm gonna have to make a haul up to Don's sometime this year. I haven't seen him in years.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    I remember stepping on the line with my personal .44 Mag rounds (Lead flat point, Jacketed) and my comped 629. These were the rounds Dad used to use for taking deer. Very good for after finals stress relief. When I finished 2 rounds, everyone else was just watching and enjoying the percussion. :) After making 6 steel knockdowns "respect my authoritah", I dump out the brass and turn around to see Don in a big grin.

Hard to believe "little" Stephen is in College now. Looks like he was a VP in the club last year. I remember one of my last shoots as a range officer, Don's daughter was shooting. I didn't recognize her and asked if she needed any help (assuming a young freshman.) Double tap body. Double tap body. Head shot. Head shot. Slide locks back. Drops a mag. "No. I'm fine." :lmfao::thumbsup:

I'm gonna have to make a haul up to Don's sometime this year. I haven't seen him in years.
    Heck . . . it's hard to believe I gotta work with that knucklehead this summer down in FL.:lmfao:

I am gonna miss the time at Don's though . . . always something interesting going on out there.:D

Top Bottom