• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I did a little work in the garage. Made some progress then had a setback which made me have to work on another item, but got that done and then resumed the first project again. Overall I'm ahead, but not by as much as I would have liked, but that's okay.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did a little work in the garage. Made some progress then had a setback which made me have to work on another item, but got that done and then resumed the first project again. Overall I'm ahead, but not by as much as I would have liked, but that's okay.

I was happy with progress made yesterday here at the mouse compound.
    Looks like it snowed a fair amount last night. Still falling.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No re-sleep this morning for me. Up just before 6:00. Saw the snow and started a nice fire.
    :coffee: blend had to be adjusted due to part of the blend out of stock. Not to bad.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee: :coffee:

2020 continues to suck. I got a notification from HR that someone’s trying to file an unemployment claim under my name. Then, yesterday, I found termites in the wall of my office. What will today bring?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've seen a lot of non collector pieces that have "never been fired" in the classies lately. Am I the exception in that if I own a gun, I pretty much have to shoot it?

What's funny to me is the number of guns in the classifieds like that which are not in any way "collector firearms". I can see putting something special away unfired, as it would detract from the value of a collectable firearm. Putting away a G***k anything, or any other commonly available gun and not firing it is beyond my comprehension. Why spend money on something like that and plan on not shooting it? The only scenarios I can think of is that someone orders something and is gifted another one, or wins it in a raffle, or something along those lines. Or maybe that they got a completely killer deal on something and then the price of it goes up so much that they can make a nice profit by selling it. I dunno, not many possibilities that make sense to me. "I bought this a year ago and it sat in my safe until now unfired" is just something I can't wrap my head around.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning folks! :coffee: :coffee:

2020 continues to suck. I got a notification from HR that someone’s trying to file an unemployment claim under my name. Then, yesterday, I found termites in the wall of my office. What will today bring?

Yep, 2020 gifted me with termites as well. Gotta hit up someone to do some remediation in the Spring... :(

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Morning all. If I’m not going to shoot it, I don’t need it. I buy to shoot. I got a bunch of **** a few years back when I stumbled on a Vet bring-back k98k Mauser. Stock had been duffle cut and once I figured out the parts that were missing and how to make a good stock repair, I ordered parts and repaired the stock. Then shot the rifle whenever I pleased. Many thought I should have left it in the condition that it was in... I had a lot of fun with it, was fun to show it off. But it just sat in the safe after awhile... I didn’t want that, I wanted it to go to someone who would enjoy it more. Who knows if that person is now, but I know I wouldn’t have anymore. Be neat for that one time a year, but I can’t afford to have those kinds of things, drives me crazy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup. Nothing like a seller asking you to give him an easy contact to give to the feds.

Private sales are exactly that. I do not show my LTCH at the gun store to buy a gun I damned sure aint showing it to you.

Asking for all of this ID just shows the lack of knowledge as to how this place works. If you cant find out who I am by looking in Ingo then I do not need your gun. You can pick who gets it if you have interest. $1K for a $600 rifle will not stir up much interest. Putting all those stipulations on the deal narrows it even more.

But, his deal to set. Mine to smile and move on.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My son and I were talking about the idea of buying and not using something last night. He was showing me an ad for an old Porsche 911 that had only 42 miles on it. I hate seeing cars like that. All of the craftsmanship that went into building something like that and the guy that buys it puts it away as an investment. Things are meant to be used, not just had. Buying something and being afraid to actually use it is something I just can’t do.

My desire is to shoot all of my guns as much as I can afford to, drive my cars into the ground and get every bit of use out of something. Ownership is a burden that has no reward if the item is not used. Even my USGI 1911s have barrels fit that let me shoot them as much as I want with little worry about ruining an old gun.

If I had silly amounts of money, I’d start a rescue organization that would buy up old collector cars, have them refreshed to replace deteriorated rubber components and then drive the snot out of them for a while. Guns and cars deserve to be driven, and shot. If not, they are just things that wasted a craftsman’s time.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning all. If I’m not going to shoot it, I don’t need it. I buy to shoot. I got a bunch of **** a few years back when I stumbled on a Vet bring-back k98k Mauser. Stock had been duffle cut and once I figured out the parts that were missing and how to make a good stock repair, I ordered parts and repaired the stock. Then shot the rifle whenever I pleased. Many thought I should have left it in the condition that it was in... I had a lot of fun with it, was fun to show it off. But it just sat in the safe after awhile... I didn’t want that, I wanted it to go to someone who would enjoy it more. Who knows if that person is now, but I know I wouldn’t have anymore. Be neat for that one time a year, but I can’t afford to have those kinds of things, drives me crazy.

I’ve been going through the ‘collection’ lately to exercise the unshot. There are a couple things in there to move still but I’ve let a bunch go this year. The new Arisaka and Enfield will both be shot when done being restored. Winter is here so it’s now Mosin time again

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well said, 88. Our customer with the 1968 Shelby GT350, he bought that car this year from a large dealer out of Canada. It had been restored probably 15 years ago and then stuck in a museum. It was real pretty concours done just like factory, but it wouldn’t drive! He spent another $10k with us to get it back up and driving proper and everything working. They had just made it pretty... So this summer he enjoyed it, he said he put over 1000 miles on it and when it came back to us, it was dirty, it had dirt on it, had some mud flung up underneath and down the side. I was so happy to see that. He’s enjoying the car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’ve been going through the ‘collection’ lately to exercise the unshot. There are a couple things in there to move still but I’ve let a bunch go this year. The new Arisaka and Enfield will both be shot when done being restored. Winter is here so it’s now Mosin time again

I am going through the safes to up-grade and or service everything I have. The 1911's are in line for cool up-grades and 1 is a full on project.
    The AR's as well now that parts are becoming available again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom