The CZickness XXX: As in life, the twenties are just a blur...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This gun has always been sort of an enigma to me and some other Colt collectors. It's clearly a "black army" gun run in 1918 and the serial number goes to the US government, but it was never marked as US property. People have removed those marks, but this one was never stamped. The nickel plate is very old, and not a refinish, almost like somebody grabbed one off the line and then had it plated and sold elsewhere.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    This gun has always been sort of an enigma to me and some other Colt collectors. It's clearly a "black army" gun run in 1918 and the serial number goes to the US government, but it was never marked as US property. People have removed those marks, but this one was never stamped. The nickel plate is very old, and not a refinish, almost like somebody grabbed one off the line and then had it plated and sold elsewhere.

That is spectacular. There is a story to tell in that gun!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A Colt collector pointed out to me that it has a military inspection stamp, but isn't marked US property. We wondered if maybe Colt provided it to some visiting army officer or something like that. Just grabbed one part way through the process and nickle plated it. The gun still has the low finish metal common on the black army which normally Colt would have polished before plating.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Some day I’d like a nice shootable pre-WWII example. Something with some honest patina, nice enough to look at but still willing to let it be shoot.

That describes my RemRand perfectly. It’s got patina oozing out of it and I had AllenM fit a new barrel to make it a shooter. No permanent mods have been done but there are some hot rod parts inside to make it fun to shoot.
    92a70f5c60ea2a81163d1cbdf20d65aa.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    A Colt collector pointed out to me that it has a military inspection stamp, but isn't marked US property. We wondered if maybe Colt provided it to some visiting army officer or something like that. Just grabbed one part way through the process and nickle plated it. The gun still has the low finish metal common on the black army which normally Colt would have polished before plating.

Test gun? Front office grabbed one?

SW has some unique one off revolvers that would have been a custom order for some retiring officer or just because you were able to talk them into it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Test gun? Front office grabbed one?

SW has some unique one off revolvers that would have been a custom order for some retiring officer or just because you were able to talk them into it.

Good ideas, we'll probably never know. You're right that there's a story in it, a pity they can't speak.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That describes my RemRand perfectly. It’s got patina oozing out of it and I had AllenM fit a new barrel to make it a shooter. No permanent mods have been done but there are some hot rod parts inside to make it fun to shoot.
    92a70f5c60ea2a81163d1cbdf20d65aa.jpg

Very nice!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom