The CZickness XXX: As in life, the twenties are just a blur...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I’m sure in “the group” we have one of most everything. If you need a test drive sooner, I’m sure I can get an example to you.

When it comes to optics, there is a component that falls after general quality and it is just what your eyes prefer. Especially when age catches up to your vision.
    Im in! Oh you meant test driving optics. Ok nevermind. I mean yeah you can test drive my optics anytime ;)

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    So Vortex Viper is good, so what about the Venom? T-Dogg, where are you?

Viper and venom side by side. The internet wil give you a more detailed comparison than I am going to thumb type. :-)

70d281933891473fe02349c7d186fe92.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

I have had different luck with the one Viper I have (which is also made in China).

My biggest aggravation with it is when I try to sight it in, tightening the lock screws on the windage and elevation screws moves the point of impact several MOA. Makes sighting in a real trial and error effort.

Also, I noticed a few days ago while playing with several red dots that facing the Viper toward the sun (not directly at but below and in the general direction) it caused a flair in the optic that made seeing the target difficult. I could not reproduce this with either the RMR or the C-More.

Have any of you Viper owners had either of these problems or does my Viper need to go in for warranty work?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Viper. That’s the one I prefer.

Pistol red dots......I have a stupid spendy RMR on my 6" 10mm field piece and it works very well. Like "Any" of the sights that size I would not have one on a defensive hand gun. Just me.

The Cmore's I have on 2 other pistols are great but far too cumbersome to carry.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Viper or Venom are fine for range use, not duty use. I agree with gmcttr about the Viper's lock system, not a fan. However the glass/viewing area are nice on them. At the price point these run, they're among the better/best.

Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics is the real authority on pistol mounted red dots. He has done the most testing and data for this field. He puts red dots through hard use. You can take his word to the bank. He has ALOT of good videos on YouTube out there on all the most popular optics. He keeps an updated "white paper" on his website, it's a PDF file on the left side of his homepage. That paper has all of his testing in regards to round count and failures. https://www.sagedynamics.org/

Trijicon RMR is the gold standard. It has the most time and testing in the field. They aren't the best in glass or viewing area necessarily, but their patented housing design is the best (think two little owl ears that take the impact instead of the top of a dome). They require sealing plates depending on what they are being mounted to. And lets face it, they look the most badass and that's what really matters....

However, Holosun will own most of the market of red dots eventually, they're that good. They use an RMR footprint (meaning they mount where an RMR will) and don't require a sealing plate. They're durable, the reticles are crisper than most, the battery life is the best in the business and I'm fairly certain they've been manufacturing other major manufacturers optics for them. Add in a lower price point and good glass and that's a recipe for capturing the market. In regards to pistol mounted micro reflex sights, they have a good amount of options out there now, some I don't even know about. Price wise, expect sub $200 with sales and coupon codes, up to $400. They have different warranties on their stuff, so if that matters to you I recommend looking at their site and read up. I know their "elite" lineup has the best warranty.

I have the 407C, which is the base model. It only has a 2moa dot and uses an aluminum housing. They also have models with a circle dot, like an Eotech reticle and you can toggle between the dot only, circle only, or both. I can tell you from personal experience, it's a very crisp reticle. They have a better window than the RMR. Aaron says the viewing area is irrelevant and is a training issue (in regards to "finding" the dot). However, he does say that the Holosun circle dot is easier for new pistol optics users to use.

Keep an eye on Amazon, Brownells, Primary Arms, Midway USA and Palmetto State Armory for Holosun deals. I constantly see coupons and sales for Holosun optics.

Here is a very basic rundown. There are more versions than this, especially ones with green reticles.

407C - 2moa dot only, aluminum housing (base model, I own this model currently)
    407CO - 8moa circle only
    507C - circle and dot, can toggle between them
    508T - same as 507C, but titanium housing and badging is all blacked out (for that Batman look)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Probably the best deal right now is the Holosun 507C. It's also the most popular. You can use the dot only, the circle only, or both. Brownell's and Palmetto are selling them both for $229, which is the cheapest you'll see them, because they're normally $299 when not on sale. Brownells is the probably cheaper if you can dig up some old coupon codes to get $10 or 10% off.

https://www.brownells.com/manufacturers/holosun/index.htm

https://palmettostatearmory.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Holosun&manufacturer=Holosun

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

Right now, the only red dot I have is an RMR and as much as I like it, the next one will be the Holosun 507C. I’m standardizing on the RMR footprint on the guns that I get cut for a red dot so that leaves just about everything else out. The only real reason for going with the Holosun next is price. I cannot afford to outfit everything with an RMR. Hell, I cannot afford to fit a second pistol with an RMR just yet but I can squeeze a 507C in once in a while. Plus, it does not sound like I’d be giving up much if I go that route for the follow on guns.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom