• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It’s Memorial Day, so I’d like to call out a couple of family members that we are keeping in our thoughts this weekend. The first is our Uncle Bill. His real name is Joseph G Smith but his family called him Bill for reasons that no one can remember. He served with the 47th Inf/9th Div in Europe during the Second World War. He was seriously wounded during the battles around the Hurtgen Forest in the fall of 1944 but made his way back to his unit to continue to serve. He was KIA in the battles around the Remagen Bridge on the 18th of March 1945.

90b62bdbaf3984d68adcbca9f8ba3e0c.jpg

The second family member that gave all is 1st Lt Anthony Piscitelli. Anthony was a P38 pilot with the 343rd Fighter Squadron, 55th Fighter Group that flew out of Nuthumpstead England. On April 10th, his group was conducting the first P38 ‘Droop Snoot’ mission to bomb a French airfield called Coulemeirs near Moroux. After the P38s bombed the field, The squadron did a deep spiral down to strafe the airfield. Tony was in the lead flight and his aircraft was hit midway across the field. He continued the strafing run at zero altitude, still firing but nosed in at the far end of the airfield. The airfield still has bombing marks on the old concrete runways from the war and is still in use as a light aircraft/glider field.
    587221e1985cc1b793569f9aef85f3ca.jpg

:patriot: It’s fantastic that you have that information still!

My grandpa served in the Navy, during Korea I believe. He was an accountant when he joined and what he experienced while there made him hear the calling. When he finished his tour he went into seminary school and preached until he retired and then he preached as a fill in for churches as needed. He never did share with any of us what happened. We have some pictures and some names of those he served with, but he never discussed anything.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    There was very little talk of the roles my family played in WWII so the details I have are few and far between.

Dad's brother was a pilot in the European theater and made it home safely. Dad's eyesight prevented him from flying and he served in a training role stateside. He finally got his chance to go overseas and spent a night onboard a transport boat only to find the war had ended when he awoke the next morning.

My mother's brother (and my namesake) died in Europe when he threw himself on a grenade to save others. I have his .22 single shot rifle that he used prior to the war to put many rabbits and squirrels in the pot. I truly wish it was in usable condition.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    Idiots at the ramp. Man we could share some stories on that topic.
    I always say that a lawn chair under a shade tree watching a boat ramp is best circus in town. The things you see and hear is unbelievable. The experienced boaters are in and out in no time, but the 2 or 3 weekends a year and the rookies are a real show.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    It’s Memorial Day, so I’d like to call out a couple of family members that we are keeping in our thoughts this weekend. The first is our Uncle Bill. His real name is Joseph G Smith but his family called him Bill for reasons that no one can remember. He served with the 47th Inf/9th Div in Europe during the Second World War. He was seriously wounded during the battles around the Hurtgen Forest in the fall of 1944 but made his way back to his unit to continue to serve. He was KIA in the battles around the Remagen Bridge on the 18th of March 1945.

The second family member that gave all is 1st Lt Anthony Piscitelli. Anthony was a P38 pilot with the 343rd Fighter Squadron, 55th Fighter Group that flew out of Nuthumpstead England. On April 10th, his group was conducting the first P38 ‘Droop Snoot’ mission to bomb a French airfield called Coulemeirs near Moroux. After the P38s bombed the field, The squadron did a deep spiral down to strafe the airfield. Tony was in the lead flight and his aircraft was hit midway across the field. He continued the strafing run at zero altitude, still firing but nosed in at the far end of the airfield. The airfield still has bombing marks on the old concrete runways from the war and is still in use as a light aircraft/glider field.

Thanks for sharing. I shall raise a glass to both brave men.

All four grandfathers (my side and the wife’s) served in WW2. One in the Army, two in the Army Air Corp, one in the Navy in the Pacific.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always say that a lawn chair under a shade tree watching a boat ramp is best circus in town. The things you see and hear is unbelievable. The experienced boaters are in and out in no time, but the 2 or 3 weekends a year and the rookies are a real show.

3 day weekends. That brings them out in droves.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi

:patriot::cheers: tonight we drink for our sorrow. Tomorrow we drink, because they can't.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There was very little talk of the roles my family played in WWII so the details I have are few and far between.

Dad's brother was a pilot in the European theater and made it home safely. Dad's eyesight prevented him from flying and he served in a training role stateside. He finally got his chance to go overseas and spent a night onboard a transport boat only to find the war had ended when he awoke the next morning.

My mother's brother (and my namesake) died in Europe when he threw himself on a grenade to save others. I have his .22 single shot rifle that he used prior to the war to put many rabbits and squirrels in the pot. I truly wish it was in usable condition.
    Having your uncle's rifle is a fantastic keepsake. We have to keep their memory alive

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom