Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A lot of folks these days have never seen a Winchester 1895, they were the premier hunting rifle here in the US in their day. The 405 WCF being the most powerful cartridge until the H&H magnums made their way over here from Europe. Most commonly seen in 30-40.

There used to be a couple of these in the family. Where they got off to no one seems to know.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Nice looking rifle, MM! I like the look of lever action guns and think they would be fun, but at this point I still have zero long gun shooting experience. :n00b:

I recommend going to one of the Revere's Riders training events. Pick up a cheap ($200) Ruger 10/22, an extra 10 round magazine for it, and a few other essentials they recommend, and it is a great training for long guns. I had a great time when I went last month.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not anymore...look what followed me home today...

XWBJBak.jpg

However, SarahG, if you want the grips, I imagine we can work out a deal you can't refuse.

Sweet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Winchester even made a military version for the Russians, it shot that 7.62 rimmed cartridge the Mosins shoot.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sweet ..... I'm glad that you nabbed it. Plus, you got to meet a real American Hero .... our own TT ! :patriot:
    I'm no hero but I did stay in a holiday inn recently.
    I'm glad someone in the group got it. I promised if I got rid of it it would stay in the group if possible. I just never intended to sell it when I got it I mean that. I have other passions and sometimes they get the best of me just like gun fever does sometimes

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I've heard, but have not confirmed, that lever action rifles aren't as accurate as bolt action. Is this true or does it depend on the gun?
    I used to want a 30/30 but never even was close to needing one.

My brother and dad hunted deer with a lever action 30/30. I have no idea how they did, since I didn't know they did this till last year. I also didn't grow up with them either.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Could have bought a machine gun, just sayin. :D
    I spent my m16 money when I decided that was a no go and I really did consider that sweet little number jn the class3 classifieds here, but at the end of the day I'm just not gonna ever be happy buying a machine gun in this political climate. Everyday I'll worry If I'm gonna lose my ass overnight. Not probable but possible

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I recommend going to one of the Revere's Riders training events. Pick up a cheap ($200) Ruger 10/22, an extra 10 round magazine for it, and a few other essentials they recommend, and it is a great training for long guns. I had a great time when I went last month.

That's a great suggestion, Haven ! :yesway:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm no hero but I did stay in a holiday inn recently.
    I'm glad someone in the group got it. I promised if I got rid of it it would stay in the group if possible. I just never intended to sell it when I got it I mean that. I have other passions and sometimes they get the best of me just like gun fever does sometimes

Damned it you aren't .... I won't hear that talk !
    You're too humble. :)

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    That's a great suggestion, Haven ! :yesway:

Thank you.

I hadn't done anything with long guns prior to the event. I picked up a 10/22 last year, and inherited a Winchester 190, and shot them a little last summer, but I couldn't hit anything. The training showed me lots of things I have to work on.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not anymore...look what followed me home today...

XWBJBak.jpg

1. It's good to see a photo of a CZ being bought/sold among the franchise here. :laugh:
    2. GM, you have the Shadow 2 for the range (which led me down the road when you let me try it out), is this for a CC?

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have any basic rifle classes coming up, but I'll keep an eye out!

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    So it is down to clothing over a .50 Barrett.

I need to start drinking again.........:40oz:

I hear ya...I think the Barrett would have been in my closet rather than a jersey.

but, MMMV

TT/Mike I am overjoyed that you got your historic baseball piece.

As you mentioned, they aren't making anymore of them now are they..?

Good on ya.!!

Last edited:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    A lot of folks these days have never seen a Winchester 1895, they were the premier hunting rifle here in the US in their day. The 405 WCF being the most powerful cartridge until the H&H magnums made their way over here from Europe. Most commonly seen in 30-40.

And a favorite of Teddy Roosevelt.

CM, did you vote for Teddy Roosevelt? I bet you were a Bull Mooser in your younger days.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom