Not open for further replies.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Had a Mongoose (when that name actually meant something and you could only buy the frames) that I pieced together with tons of hard earned $ into parts, with 3 piece crank, etc. Those were the days.
    First bikes. Wow. Mine was a 1950's with no speeds, and balloon tires and the paint looked like it was rotting off. It was a Schwinn but it's best days were well behind it. Finally saved up and bought a 24" Sears model with tall handle bars and a banana seat. Some kinda blue IIRC. Wanted a Schwinn lemon peeler but could not talk my folks into going to the bike shop. But we went to Sears pretty regular..

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    My thigh meat doesn't miss that bike. I completed the "DARE to ride 55" charity event on it. 55mi on a 20" is a chore. Did it with my childhood friend Mark, who now owns Bite The Bullet in Seymour.

The Savage is coming along. Few more coats...
    e8546b6ee8e3edeed67b84e6d40cdc85.jpg
    Lookin' good, kemasobe !

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    First bikes. Wow. Mine was a 1950's with no speeds, and balloon tires and the paint looked like it was rotting off. It was a Schwinn but it's best days were well behind it. Finally saved up and bought a 24" Sears model with tall handle bars and a banana seat. Some kinda blue IIRC. Wanted a Schwinn lemon peeler but could not talk my folks into going to the bike shop. But we went to Sears pretty regular..
    Those Lemon Peelers for a long time $1200 would buy you the nicest one available… Now they are $3000 and up for the higher end options….

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Daddy is a body man… This was the first bike we built when I was 12… Orange County Chopper’s was the show to watch back then and everyone had to have their one! Mama said no, so we built bikes instead.

I rescued it last year from deep basement storage at my folks house. Made a few changes to suit me as an adult and it’s a rider again.

Started as a Schwinn 20” girls bike… I rode this thing EVERYWHERE as a boy!

4AA138DD-F6B4-4F21-ADF8-72FF8FE6CEA2.jpeg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I had a blue Sears 24” with a banana seat and 3 speeds in 1969. Cool kids had Schwinns but mine came from the sears mail order store in Nora (assembly required).

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I had a blue Sears 24” with a banana seat and 3 speeds in 1969. Cool kids had Schwinns but mine came from the sears mail order store in Nora (assembly required).
    My dads family is from Chicago, so it had to be a Schwinn. That’s just what you did. That’s what I try to stick to, I’ve ventured out a few times in my collecting, but never hung onto the others. Noticeable quality differences.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Daddy is a body man… This was the first bike we built when I was 12… Orange County Chopper’s was the show to watch back then and everyone had to have their one! Mama said no, so we built bikes instead.

I rescued it last year from deep basement storage at my folks house. Made a few changes to suit me as an adult and it’s a rider again.

Started as a Schwinn 20” girls bike… I rode this thing EVERYWHERE as a boy!

View attachment 176093
    Now that is a COOL bike. Needs to be repainted red white and blue with stars

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never had a bike until I was in college, at home we had horses if I wanted to get around before being old enough to drive.

I should add that horses are a poor type of personal tansportaion, and that's based on a lot of years experience with them. You use them when that's all you have.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom