• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in the early 80s a cottage industry sprang up where small shops would import non transferable NFA items like WW2 surplus, make a new registered receiver, strip off all the parts and assemble on the new receiver. This was great for a while as it reduced the cost of owning a lot of machine guns that otherwise were difficult to obtain. Some shops were better than others, Doug Offinger's Browning belt fed guns were just as good as the original ones while some shops producing Stens were just selling junk.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Back in the early 80s a cottage industry sprang up where small shops would import non transferable NFA items like WW2 surplus, make a new registered receiver, strip off all the parts and assemble on the new receiver. This was great for a while as it reduced the cost of owning a lot of machine guns that otherwise were difficult to obtain. Some shops were better than others, Doug Offinger's Browning belt fed guns were just as good as the original ones while some shops producing Stens were just selling junk.
    I am 52 so this predates my firearm experience (beyond my Dad's guns and hunting) but that explains some of the transerrables that exist. Interesting...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The late 70s and early 80s were the "golden age" of machine guns. Lots of items for sale, cheap ammo, it was a good time.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The late 70s and early 80s were the "golden age" of machine guns. Lots of items for sale, cheap ammo, it was a good time.
    I was young but remember my gpa going to the local grain/hardware store and traded a cart of corn and getting something that sounded like a "army gun" when he shot it in the back field. It made bangs for 10ish secs at a time, seemed like a hour. Was one of my favorite "cloudy" memories.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Good afternoon fellers I posted a S. A. M1 Garand & a Dan Wesson TCP 45acp in the classies if anyone is interested, please take a look!
    Both look sweet! Too bad my gun fund is still low from the last purchase.

Do you have a layaway plan or 36 months same as cash?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can only say it was a wonderful time if you were into guns. I got my FFL when I was 21 and NFA at 23, so many friends, so many wonderful memories, but now that's all they are.

Today you could probably race an Indy car for less per minute than shooting an MG-42.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Mrs. and I have been talking and thinking a lot out our future here lately. We both want a piece of property to escape to. Probably southern part of the state somewhere.

Ground is certainly less expensive than up in canada, but it doesn't grow stuff as well.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The Mrs. and I have been talking and thinking a lot out our future here lately. We both want a piece of property to escape to. Probably southern part of the state somewhere.
    I approve of this message ! Although the future of our lil slice of woods in now in question / limbo ...... my wife and I both agreed that the last 9 years, since we've owned it, have been some of the best years of our lives / marriage.
    Somehow, a campfire under a starry sky, seems to bond people !

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom