88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

Before I got into offset red dots, I used 1x as a red dot for CQ. It was useful to a point. Offset is easier for me to pick up at low/no magnification. My biggest selling point was getting my holdovers doped and never having to worry about them changing. It also helps me with ranging targets on the fly.

I just like to make things complicated. All these extra letters, now I want alphabet soup.

I’ve become a fan of the offset red dots. They always looked awkward on rifles but once I tried one, it really works out nicely. They let me run a more focused (pun intended) main optic while still giving me a very good close in capability.

One thing that I tend to flip flop on though is SFP vs FFP. I like the fact that FFP has consistent ranges for the various markings on the optic but those ranges can often be awkwardly placed unless you have exposed turrets and dial to the dot.

The thing I like about SFP is that I can adjust my reticle for the range. Once the dope is settled, I can enter the data in Strelok and generate some reference ranges. For instance, on a 1-8x, the top of the second dot might be 224 yards at 8x but I know that I can pull the zoom down to 7x to put it at exactly 200 yards. That’s handy with capped turrets.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I did a quick run down to HHRP yesterday afternoon. Thanks to Tarzan for some quick help with the lock made for a good trip. When I got there, there was a brand new lock on the gate and it didn’t like the code I entered. The numbers spun freely so I thought I had missed the message with the new 2022 code and gave Tarzan a call to see if he had heard anything. He confirmed that the code had not changed and got word from another member that the lock was frozen earlier that day so I broke out the torch and with about 10 seconds of heat, the lock warmed up enough to release internally. Without Tarzan’s help, I would have just headed back home frustrated.

The range trip was a fairly simple on to do the final sight in of CM’s AR with an Eotech and to test the latest updates to the P229. Both performed beautifully. I think the issue that CM had with this rifle were BCG related. The Fantac BCG needs to go back to the mfg since the guide pin is galling against the carrier and causing a hiccup in the function. Now that it has a Toolcraft BCG in it, it’s 100% and is living up to the quality of parts installed. I do have to say, the Eotech is great on this an all but there is a part of me that wants to grab the Sig Tango 1-10x mentioned up thread for this rifle. But, I think I’ll stick with the Eotech as that keeps the rifle very light weight which is what I want for this one.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Sounds like fun. Soon I hope. Miss all you guys. Just have been so busy, and had so much more responsibility, it's been hard to balance that and my family life too. I need more tt to spread around lol
    Howdy TT, glad to hear from you. Its been a while. Condolences on the loss of your dad. Hope youre doing good. Glad to hear youre taking care of mom, she probably needs you more than ever.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Oh, the P229 was perfect in function as well. It’s basically stock with a GG SRT and strut. That combo gives me about a 3.25# SA after an 8# DA. What a shooter that one is. It’s a no-rail simple carry gun in .357 Sig.
    8ccdee2c940a755ffaebe908b7194e8e.jpg

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Hey hey!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

Glad you could stop in here. Drinks are on the house as long as you are here!!
    TT :

I am so very sorry to hear about your father.

I will pray for the repose of his soul and for the remaining family.

I pray you are well....it's been too long, brutha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom