• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    What's the "union" ? Sorry, but I don't follow !
    One of these...to make breaking a line possible with threaded pipe.
    th.jpg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    @MindfulMan did you see this in the classifieds? Not any cheaper than the last one but you said they are special (and promised a story sometime about it).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    @MindfulMan did you see this in the classifieds? Not any cheaper than the last one but you said they are special (and promised a story sometime about it).

Cool little gun. Always glad when the seller isn’t close to me. ;-)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is a shutoff right at the meter. You will need a cresent wrench or channel locks to turn it. Its a small flat spade with a lock hole in it, you cant miss it. Turn it to where both lock holes line up to shut it off.

Don't turn it back on if you dont know what needs a relight and how to do it. Call the gas company to handle that.

no such thing as a stupid question. At the gas meter on the Inlet side, below the Regulator, should be a gas shut off, some are 1/4 turn, but most will go all around. You just turn the keyway perpendicular to the body, so the part where WE (gas company) can put a lock thru to keep the gas shut OFF. Typically, 95% of the time, the shut off is on the LEFT side of the gas meter. Also, go out and check, make sure the shut off is not buried by landscaping - ie. mulch, rocks, etc. Really sucks this time of year, if there is frozen dirt, or mulch over the shut off......landscapers, for some dumb reason, like to bury the shut off.

When shutting the valve OFF - key is slow, steady pressure.
    Ok, so basically turn the valve that's just above the ground in these pics until the holes line up, correct? Only in emergency circumstance of course.

20220201_180512238_iOS - Copy.jpg20220201_180515839_iOS - Copy.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK, the wife is waiting until Friday to come home. Bonus: 2 more days of bachelor life
    What's the "union" ? Sorry, but I don't follow !
    It’s the coupling put in to join the pipes together. If you have to change out the gas valve the Union is loosened and separated. This allows you to remove a short section of pipe and replace the gas control valve.
    If the shut off is installed before the Union then the gas is controlled. If it is after the Union then you are not in control and the entire hose gas supply has to be shut off.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Morning all.

Not looking forward to a potential ice event and power loss. Not to mention a foot of snow to deal with.

Picked up groceries and more gas yesterday. Need to bring the ATV up from the basement and have it ready in the garage this afternoon.
    Driving home tomorrow night will be quite a chore. Pickle Lady went to store today as well

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes Sir. Turn it counterclockwise, shortest distance. It possibly will be a tight valve. Slow steady pressure, dont jerk/yank and your good :yesway:
    Thanks. INGO makes me smarter every day. Some days it makes me less likely to blow myself up (this is one of those days). Other days, well...
    71d.png

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I'm leaving early enough that it'll be a cold rain event but no ice/sleet

I pulled the Generator up and found all the extension cords.

Everything is ready for a power shut down.
    That reminds me. I need to make a trip to tsc to fill a couple propane tanks and grab my kerosene heater from storage. If i loose power for any extended period ill probably head out to the haunted house and camp in the shop with the wood burner.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ok, so basically turn the valve that's just above the ground in these pics until the holes line up, correct? Only in emergency circumstance of course.

View attachment 179120View attachment 179121
    While the real professionals have chimed in here; I have to add a PSA here as who knows who reads this thread.

If you suspect a gas leak so significant that you want to shut off the gas supply - call 911 and get the heck out of there! Let the pros handle it.

I have seen the damage caused by gas explosions and you don't want to be nearby. While, exceedingly rare given the amount of gas supplied homes, don't take a chance....

CZ...

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    While the real professionals have chimed in here; I have to add a PSA here as who knows who reads this thread.

If you suspect a gas leak so significant that you want to shut off the gas supply - call 911 and get the heck out of there! Let the pros handle it.

I have seen the damage caused by gas explosions and you don't want to be nearby. While, exceedingly rare given the amount of gas supplied homes, don't take a chance....

CZ...
    ^^ Better advice than how to work the valve imo.
    Well played Sir.

CZ !!:cheers:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

CZ...
    ^^ Better advice than how to work the valve imo.
    Well played Sir.

CZ !!:cheers:
    Appreciate it. That said, knowing how to turn something off is a good thing. Not sure why I didn't think about it until this convo came up honestly. I'd hate to see (or in this case smell) an imminent but preventable catastrophe coming and be too ignorant to stop it.

That said, I do know some folks who lived through the gas explosions in the Richmond Hills neighborhood on Southside of Indy ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Hill_explosion ) scary stuff (though that was of course was intentionally done... by idiots)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom