Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sitting on the deck looking out over the compound.
    Coffee is good this morning. Spouse is making some breakfast. I am free to do as I wish with this day.
    Reflection. All who have given so much for these blessed things that are so often taken for granted.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Happy 4th folks!

Independence and liberty are fantastic things to celebrate today. In honor of all that the 4th represents to me, I'm carrying the DW A2 today. Hope everyone has a good, safe holiday.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After running a few of my guns with the CZickness group I learned a few things.
    Every gun (even a G****) needs attention at times. Every gun at some point in a few thousand rounds will need some love. At some level.
    I already knew this of course but I have had a long and successful run with most all of mine so we slip into denial.

I spent some time at the bench yesterday sorting a few issues out. Mostly AR's for some odd reason and it seems I got a crap BCG that has been giving me fits.
    Also it matters not how much you spend on a part it can have an issue.
    Another BCG that I spent serious money on had the gas tube receiver come loose. The allens were staked but not very well apparently. I took it all the way down and did the deep clean boogy on it. Re-staked the allens and put it back in the rifle after I got deep into it with all the proper solvents/lubes.
    The AR pistol that has been troubling will get the new Nickel Boron BCG and a deep cleaning. If this does nor straighten it out I have a band saw...:):

The sights on the Sheriff are back in line. No idea how they moved.

Now I have more to clean.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    My tavor is seriously jammed up at the moment. I need to spend some time attempting to disassemble and clear. Not sure what happened as I was not the shooter when it happened.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Mr. Churchmouse ---

I didn't want to start an entire thread just for my question, so I hope that you don't mind me posting it here.
    Over the course of my membership, and before as a lurker, I realize that you're a 1911 expert. I've never owned one, but for many reasons, I was attracted to this new release from Sig.

View attachment 57078

Anyway, I remember you saying that a Sig 1911 was not a "true 1911", as if it had some internal (mechanical) difference, or wasn't to the same "spec" as most others in the platform.

I'd really appreciate it if you could elaborate for me, as it would be an expensive purchase (I'm retired now, and on a fixed income), and I don't want to make a huge mistake.

Thanks !

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can say nothing bad about the Sig offerings.
    In a world where everybody wants to get on the 1911 band wagon it is tough to sort through all of it. They all modify the platform in the name of new and improved.

I am pretty much old school in that I want to stay as close as I can to what JMB put out there. Even this can be argued.
    Improved metallurgy and light weight frames. Tighter tolerances. Superior ignition controls. Accuracy that only dead eye Dans can fully utilize. Great times we are living in.
    I am just not a fan of the Sig version. To many liberty's taken. JMHO.
    Those who own them love them so it is impossible to mount an argument against them.
    Are they spec internally...??? Can you Mod one up...???
    Not done a lot in this area but a few I have messed with were not liking to be modified.
    I am sure there is someone far more adept in this Marque than I but I appreciate the kind words.

I would find one to rent/borrow and run it. Then do the same with other brands. In this you will find one you like.
    I do believe that for the same money there are other offerings that are just as reliable and closer to the mark. JMHO

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I got'cha ! Thanks so much for your kind and informative response. :)
    Being a veteran, I guess I'm a patriotic fool. Their "We the People" new offering with the 50-star grips just jumps out at me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom