• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I figured as much. Always good to know a guy, even better if you know more than one... ;)
    In this weather, I'm thinking HVAC folks are printing their own money. No way I'd want to spend much time at all without a furnace in this arctic blast.

CM - love the color combo you picked for the latest 1911 project for your daughter. I've seen people do it the opposite way, but I'm a fan of the dark frame/light slide look. That should turn out sharp! And I'm sentimental about the "legacy" aspect of things like this. My Dad was quite a skilled woodworker, and before he passed, made a rocking horse for my daughter and sled for my son that they'll take with them when they leave the nest. It's a fantastic thing to leave something meaningful to others that you used your own two hands to create.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Of course, my luck doesn't run to good luck for long. Got a "charging system failure" message on the car computer on the way to work this morning, so I turned around and drove home. I believe my alternator is likely going out, so I'm hopeful either my Dad can help me replace it, or I can get it in to a shop to fix it today. Not like I had any money for this after Christmas, but what can you do... :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Of course, my luck doesn't run to good luck for long. Got a "charging system failure" message on the car computer on the way to work this morning, so I turned around and drove home. I believe my alternator is likely going out, so I'm hopeful either my Dad can help me replace it, or I can get it in to a shop to fix it today. Not like I had any money for this after Christmas, but what can you do... :dunno:

Did you have the blower on high and rear defroster strips engaged.....If so slow everything down and see if you get the same code. It is most likely the alternator but you can take some of the load off of it by running the blower on low and no rear defrost.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In this weather, I'm thinking HVAC folks are printing their own money. No way I'd want to spend much time at all without a furnace in this arctic blast.

CM - love the color combo you picked for the latest 1911 project for your daughter. I've seen people do it the opposite way, but I'm a fan of the dark frame/light slide look. That should turn out sharp! And I'm sentimental about the "legacy" aspect of things like this. My Dad was quite a skilled woodworker, and before he passed, made a rocking horse for my daughter and sled for my son that they'll take with them when they leave the nest. It's a fantastic thing to leave something meaningful to others that you used your own two hands to create.

Thanks. I let her pick out the colors.

She wanted these colors in reverse. The frame will make the stainless controls really stand out.
    o6jyZt1.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Did you have the blower on high and rear defroster strips engaged.....If so slow everything down and see if you get the same code. It is most likely the alternator but you can take some of the load off of it by running the blower on low and no rear defrost.

Ran it over to a local shop and yeah, it was the alternator. Who knew the darn things were so expensive nowadays... :(

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That sucks. I've replaced alternators in the past in well under an hour, but with today's vehicles, it takes twice that amount of time just to remove stuff needed to get to the alternator. Modern cars are amazing until you have to replace a buried part on one.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    BTW, there's a small shop in Mooresville that rebuilds starters and alternators with a lifetime warranty. I had the starter from an old Fiat rebuilt there for something like $80. Might have been $50, but that was a year ago and I don't remember the exact amount other than to know it was a fraction of what I'd have paid for an Autozone 'rebuilt' starter.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This place is marking up the markup. I won't even mention here how much they're charging. Wish I'd done a little research first, but lesson learned. I won't use this shop again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Near new pistol at a decent price. I'm not looking, but thanks for the heads up CM.

On an unrelated note, I think that in 2018 and beyond, I am going to be careful with the use of absolutes in writing. 'Always', 'Never', 'Must' and other absolute terms can turn a good suggestion into a bad suggestion and make the person offering it look like an idiot. There is an idiot of this type over on GT that made the statement that if you alter any aspect of a G***k, including doing the polishing of rough parts, you have ruined the pistol and need to replace every part you touched with a factory new part. Polish the trigger bar and you've ruined it. Take Flitz to the cruciform and you might as well throw it away. The guy is trying to make a point, but he does it in such a bad, exaggerated way as to come across as an idiot. His post count and reputation seem to indicate someone that might have experience, but that one post paints him as not being disciplined in thought.

There are places for absolutes, but I resolve to be judicious in their use. It would suck to have good advice to offer and do it in such a bad way as to not only have that advice dismissed, but come across as an idiot in the process. That's my 2018 resolution.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Near new pistol at a decent price. I'm not looking, but thanks for the heads up CM.

On an unrelated note, I think that in 2018 and beyond, I am going to be careful with the use of absolutes in writing. 'Always', 'Never', 'Must' and other absolute terms can turn a good suggestion into a bad suggestion and make the person offering it look like an idiot. There is an idiot of this type over on GT that made the statement that if you alter any aspect of a G***k, including doing the polishing of rough parts, you have ruined the pistol and need to replace every part you touched with a factory new part. Polish the trigger bar and you've ruined it. Take Flitz to the cruciform and you might as well throw it away. The guy is trying to make a point, but he does it in such a bad, exaggerated way as to come across as an idiot. His post count and reputation seem to indicate someone that might have experience, but that one post paints him as not being disciplined in thought.

There are places for absolutes, but I resolve to be judicious in their use. It would suck to have good advice to offer and do it in such a bad way as to not only have that advice dismissed, but come across as an idiot in the process. That's my 2018 resolution.

I agree, there are many examples of this on INGO and other forums. I try to avoid the use of absolutes, but they can creep in when you're not paying attention. I think my new year's resolution will be to avoid talking about how happy I am with what I have and how I don't plan to buy anything else... :):

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    You know as well as most of us IT-field types who lean geekish... only Siths deal in absolutes!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning folks. How are you guys liking the CZ P10C? I fondled one at the gun show yesterday. It felt better in the hand for some reason this time than the first time I held one. There are 2 in stock at Wrigley Sales currently, plain black with standard sights for I think around $480-ish and FDE w/night sights for $509. I could have sworn the front night sight had orange around the tritium.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The P10c is very nice. The only problem I had and it was enough to give up the gun, was that the trigger pinched my finger pretty bad. Even the replacement trigger 88 put in his pinched, though not nearly as badly. Otherwise it was pretty darn great. If you try it and the trigger doesn't pinch you, it'd make one heck of a carry gun IMO.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The P10c is very nice. The only problem I had and it was enough to give up the gun, was that the trigger pinched my finger pretty bad. Even the replacement trigger 88 put in his pinched, though not nearly as badly. Otherwise it was pretty darn great. If you try it and the trigger doesn't pinch you, it'd make one heck of a carry gun IMO.
    Interesting. So your finger would get pinched in between the end of the trigger blade and the trigger guard while shooting or even during dryfiring?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Interesting. So your finger would get pinched in between the end of the trigger blade and the trigger guard while shooting or even during dryfiring?

I believe that was the case, yes. I didn't feel it too badly when dry firing, but definitely noticed it when shooting the gun. More than ~50 - 100 rounds would irritate my finger quite a bit. The replacement trigger 88 put in his was better, but I still noticed a little bit of a pinch. Keep in mind, I also hate stock G***k triggers as well. I just added an Apex trigger kit to my G23 and like it much better than the stock trigger. Now, if only that gun didn't jam on me about 10% of the time... :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom