Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I know. One minute I'm telling myself that I need to sell a few that I don't shoot much and then I see an ad like that and I'm instantly thinking about adding a Phantom or 21+1 round SR P09. I have two car projects cooking right now and really need the money for those. Plus, I dropped $900 yesterday on tires for the truck, and have not got a penny to spare at the moment. Not to mention Christmas is here and I have not started shopping yet.

I think that I've developed a Pavlovian response to the idea of CZs on sale. Tell me that there's a CZ sale and I immediately begin to drool and calculate how much I can abuse a credit card. It's a Czickness, I say!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know. One minute I'm telling myself that I need to sell a few that I don't shoot much and then I see an ad like that and I'm instantly thinking about adding a Phantom or 21+1 round SR P09. I have two car projects cooking right now and really need the money for those. Plus, I dropped $900 yesterday on tires for the truck, and have not got a penny to spare at the moment. Not to mention Christmas is here and I have not started shopping yet.

I think that I've developed a Pavlovian response to the idea of CZs on sale. Tell me that there's a CZ sale and I immediately begin to drool and calculate how much I can abuse a credit card. It's a Czickness, I say!

Oh you are singing to the Choir :whistle:

I have similar issues but will say we are officially done with the shopping. Just wrapping to do now.
    I will get a temporary fix when the re-models come home and I spend a few days re-assembling/fitting them

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The car projects can get spendy too. I did pick up a set of solid mound front control arm bushings for the E30 yesterday for 40% off. Once these are installed, the car will have a completely poly suspension bushing setup. Not a comfortable ride, but it will be tight. On Saturday, I'm going hunting at the local yards for an E46 steering rack. A Z3 rack would be better, but those can be tough to come across. After that, I'll pull the diff and see if I can find someone to swap the internals of an E36 LS diff into an E30 case. I've heard that it's doable, but want to farm the work out to someone that knows what they are doing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The car projects can get spendy too. I did pick up a set of solid mound front control arm bushings for the E30 yesterday for 40% off. Once these are installed, the car will have a completely poly suspension bushing setup. Not a comfortable ride, but it will be tight. On Saturday, I'm going hunting at the local yards for an E46 steering rack. A Z3 rack would be better, but those can be tough to come across. After that, I'll pull the diff and see if I can find someone to swap the internals of an E36 LS diff into an E30 case. I've heard that it's doable, but want to farm the work out to someone that knows what they are doing.

Is there machine work involved with this swap. Sounds interesting.

And hell yes cars are expensive. I am at a standstill right now. I am down to some seriously spendy pieces to finish my parts pile.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If we go with the E46 rack, I only need to add a spacer to the universal joint in the steering column, which can be bought for about $20. If we go with the Z4 rack, it's a bit more complicated as that one will need a custom steering shaft built. The Z4 is the preferred rack since that car has electric power assist. The electrical components are simple to remove, leaving a very clean, light and responsive manual rack. That lets us ditch the power steering pump to take weight off the front of the car. That new engine I stuffed in there a couple of years back is about 50lbs heavier and this mod would help to bring the balance back to the car. Plus, the current rack is really worn and driving the car is more like tilling it down the road right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If we go with the E46 rack, I only need to add a spacer to the universal joint in the steering column, which can be bought for about $20. If we go with the Z4 rack, it's a bit more complicated as that one will need a custom steering shaft built. The Z4 is the preferred rack since that car has electric power assist. The electrical components are simple to remove, leaving a very clean, light and responsive manual rack. That lets us ditch the power steering pump to take weight off the front of the car. That new engine I stuffed in there a couple of years back is about 50lbs heavier and this mod would help to bring the balance back to the car. Plus, the current rack is really worn and driving the car is more like tilling it down the road right now.

That makes sense.
    My 64 has the ram assist PS option of the day. It is vague at best. Milling over changing out the box for something a bit more up to date. I am sure the GM swap is not all that difficult.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just got this from AllenM. 2 of the 3 are done. I will have them in hand this morning.

1ABZrfZ.jpg

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    It's been awhile back now, but I recall an AllenM thread where he had done similar arrow-shaped anti-glare serrations along the top of the slide for a project he was working on. SHARP work, that looks SO good!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    It's been awhile back now, but I recall an AllenM thread where he had done similar arrow-shaped anti-glare serrations along the top of the slide for a project he was working on. SHARP work, that looks SO good!

I agree. It's such a nice, clean look. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom