Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always been told repairs are cheaper.... So long as you keep up with the preventative stuff.

The preventative stuff is easy enough to do, but for real reliability, you have to treat the old car like an airplane and replace things on time instead of when they fail. That gets expensive, but it does not leave you without a vehicle. As much as I wish I could do that, I'm just not the type of person to replace a perfectly working alternator with a newer one. Wheel bearings are the same. I could spend a weekend replacing all 4 wheel bearings and know that I'd not have an issue for another 100k miles, but it just isn't going to happen. There is a simplicity to life when you can rely on a vehicle knowing exactly how much it will cost you each month. Maybe I'm getting old, but the excitement of never knowing what an old car will do, or stop doing, is wearing on me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Better. I could have come in to work yesterday but didn't want to spread all the germs around the office. Plus I was pretty tired from two nights of rather poor sleep.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better Maan. As an office dweller, I fully support your decision to not share your germs with your coworkers. :):

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The preventative stuff is easy enough to do, but for real reliability, you have to treat the old car like an airplane and replace things on time instead of when they fail. That gets expensive, but it does not leave you without a vehicle. As much as I wish I could do that, I'm just not the type of person to replace a perfectly working alternator with a newer one. Wheel bearings are the same. I could spend a weekend replacing all 4 wheel bearings and know that I'd not have an issue for another 100k miles, but it just isn't going to happen. There is a simplicity to life when you can rely on a vehicle knowing exactly how much it will cost you each month. Maybe I'm getting old, but the excitement of never knowing what an old car will do, or stop doing, is wearing on me.
    See, I hate working on my own stuff. I tend to be among the "if it ain't broke" crowd... The S10 has started making some strange noises lately...

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Hi Wt, have you gotten any projects done on your week off?

I upgraded my computer by adding the video card I bought. Now I can slack off this week and play the couple video games I couldn't play because the video card wasn't strong enough. Otherwise I'm just making sure I get to my IU Health appointments on time so I can start work next Monday and hitting the range when and where I can :yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom