The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    These are all Mec-Gar which is supposed to be the OEM (I know some OEM mags for these are also produced by checkmate).

Generally the 3 mags that came with the gun don't seem to do it but I believe I did have one of the included mags do it (under recoil) at the only range trip I had. Thought I might have bumped the mag release but not thinking so now.

Also, since the all seem to lock up fine in the 229, I'm generally thinking not the mags.

I'd be awfully aggravated if this mag release is not the culprit and for some reason this gun is mag picky.
    Do the 226 and 229 use the same mag release? If so you could put the 229 mag release in the 226 and see if it fixes it before ordering a new mag release.

JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    Are you a camera guy or production or what?
    My oldest is getting a good start in the business, loves everything from being behind a camera to pulling focus (really good at that) to directing and producing.
    Yup I'm a big camera guy and I work in photo/video. I do a little bit of everything in the freelance realm, and then my day job is head of Photo and video production at a marketing agency, and then I went to school for video, sound, animation and 3d.

How long has your oldest been into video production?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yup I'm a big camera guy and I work in photo/video. I do a little bit of everything in the freelance realm, and then my day job is head of Photo and video production at a marketing agency, and then I went to school for video, sound, animation and 3d.

How long has your oldest been into video production?
    Since he graduated from IWU, in some form or another. 10 years plus? Has worked for a few big churches over the years but would rather work for himself.
    He’s had a partnership with a friend, Pending Beautiful Collective and they’ve done some big stuff but also a lot of music video type stuff.
    Let’s be real clear here, I only know his stuff at a surface level so don’t hold anything I say against him!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Seems like I may have an issue with the mag release on the 226 being out of spec. Several mags don't always lock in and I can wiggle them and the will drop without the mag release being pushed. All these same mags lock up tight in the 229.

Ugh.

I would start with a mic and measure the size and location of the mag catch of the mags. See if you have a difference that can be solved with a file like Patience said.

Then I’d look at the mag catches.

Sounds like, hopefully, just an issue of tolerance stacking.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    File the notch on the mag? If it almost catches shouldn't take but a hair to make it lock up. Haven't looked at the one 226 mag I have to see how it's set up but it will lock into my 228.
    Well my grinders and welders and plasma cutter are all fired up every day, working on this truck project. 2 steps forward, one back. If I’m lucky.
    Of course, your gun would be fine.

Allen took a look at it this morning and worked some of his magic.

He swapped the mag releases between the guns and the 226 continued to be able to drop the mags without actuating the mag release even with the 229's mag release installed in it (they are the same part). The 229 did not. So eliminated a specific issue with the mag release (though to fix it he did modify a part of the mag release a bit).

Then in looking at it, he could see that the mag release was sitting further out on the "off" side of the gun on the 226 than the 229. Rather than try any modification to the frame, he sanded lightly the plastic shim that holds the mag release in place under spring tension (these seem very similar to the 320/365 mag releases in how they function). That allowed the mag release on the "off" side of the gun to sit further down in the frame more like my 229 does.

Tested out the mags and all were very positively engaged now with the mag release and held the mags tightly but also allowed positive release.

Will take it to the range this weekend and see how well it does under recoil, etc, but it seems like the issue is fixed.

Not sure if the frame where it meets the mag release plastic shim was a little off spec or maybe has a burr, but just sanding a tiny amount off that plastic shim allowed things to function properly so far it seems.

We didn't take any pics but we both wish we had done so to better explain.

Allen is the man, and this should help avert a trip to Sig or buying some other parts just for it to continue to happen potentially.

stock image below

1725115746847.jpeg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    View attachment 376993Hello all. I am new to the CZ world, but have a CZ75B that I got a few years ago and love it, gifting it to my grandson, custom grips with his name inlaid, hope he likes it when he gets old enough.
    If he doesn't love it give it give someone who does.
    That's an amazing gift. I have several firearms that I'll be handing down to my grandchildren as well.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Allen took a look at it this morning and worked some of his magic.

He swapped the mag releases between the guns and the 226 continued to be able to drop the mags without actuating the mag release even with the 229's mag release installed in it (they are the same part). The 229 did not. So eliminated a specific issue with the mag release (though to fix it he did modify a part of the mag release a bit).

Then in looking at it, he could see that the mag release was sitting further out on the "off" side of the gun on the 226 than the 229. Rather than try any modification to the frame, he sanded lightly the plastic shim that holds the mag release in place under spring tension (these seem very similar to the 320/365 mag releases in how they function). That allowed the mag release on the "off" side of the gun to sit further down in the frame more like my 229 does.

Tested out the mags and all were very positively engaged now with the mag release and held the mags tightly but also allowed positive release.

Will take it to the range this weekend and see how well it does under recoil, etc, but it seems like the issue is fixed.

Not sure if the frame where it meets the mag release plastic shim was a little off spec or maybe has a burr, but just sanding a tiny amount off that plastic shim allowed things to function properly so far it seems.

We didn't take any pics but we both wish we had done so to better explain.

Allen is the man, and this should help avert a trip to Sig or buying some other parts just for it to continue to happen potentially.

stock image below

View attachment 376972
    Makes complete sense! Glad it was a simple fix!

AllenM :bowdown:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Packages came today, installed the new firing pin in the Rossi and now it's working great.

Amish guys told me that the Dietz Jupiter lamp put out enough heat to warm a small shed in the winter so after some searching I found one on Ebay. Will try it out in her greenhouse when it gets cold.

rossi92.jpg

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I checked out the grand reopening of Bass and Bucks in Wabash. The new addition for the gun showroom is easily 4x the size of the old showroom. It’s very nice with a dedicated Sig Sauer area as they are an authorized dealer.

I asked to check out a couple of their Vortex scopes and the counter guy said “oh you can’t determine anything in here. Follow me”. He grabbed the Diamondback 6-24 and Razor hd lht 5-22 that I asked about and also a Razor hd gen iii 6-36 ($3k). We stepped outside off to the side of the shooting range and he let me compare them back to back with a 800-850 yard view to the far tree line. This was the first time I got to look through a high end scope and to be able to compare it back to back with other tiers at distance was pretty cool. At 100 yards the differences in clarity were less noticeable, but at 800 yards I could really start to see the differences in the tiers. At 800 yards the diamondback was like looking through a slight haze, the razors were still very clear. The razor HD gen iii with a larger tube and glass was like going from a 55” TV to a 70” and better picture. It was exceptional.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I checked out the grand reopening of Bass and Bucks in Wabash. The new addition for the gun showroom is easily 4x the size of the old showroom. It’s very nice with a dedicated Sig Sauer area as they are an authorized dealer.

I asked to check out a couple of their Vortex scopes and the counter guy said “oh you can’t determine anything in here. Follow me”. He grabbed the Diamondback 6-24 and Razor hd lht 5-22 that I asked about and also a Razor hd gen iii 6-36 ($3k). We stepped outside off to the side of the shooting range and he let me compare them back to back with a 800-850 yard view to the far tree line. This was the first time I got to look through a high end scope and to be able to compare it back to back with other tiers at distance was pretty cool. At 100 yards the differences in clarity were less noticeable, but at 800 yards I could really start to see the differences in the tiers. At 800 yards the diamondback was like looking through a slight haze, the razors were still very clear. The razor HD gen iii with a larger tube and glass was like going from a 55” TV to a 70” and better picture. It was exceptional.
    You gotta finish the story!
    “So I bought it”
    Right?

I’m sure Dave Ramsey won out but I thought it was worth the tease.

Top Bottom