The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    After CGW called me, they explained that they had a run of the SA/DA straight triggers from a supplier that were .015 long causing the bottom of the trigger to touch the back of the trigger guard preventing the SA to break. They thought they had caught all of them from being sent in kits, but the one S_R received was NG! Anyways CGW has a correct trigger on its way to my address. Thanks to David and his crew at CGW!
    And also thanks you to for your expertise on the matter! I would have driven myself nuts diagnosing that myself! :):

Anyways, x2 on CGW’s awesome customer service. The gunsmith I spoke to was super understanding and made sure to hear me out. I think his name was Patrick? Sounds right. Either way, good dude.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    They didn’t give a specific model. One reviewer is a long range shooting instructor. He started chronicling the experiences he had with various scopes that would come through his classes. After he saw several Athlon Ares ETRs come through his class he gathered enough information to give an experienced review. He prefers Schmidt & Bender along with some of his fellow competitors and instructors. Each of them were impressed with the Ares ETR, especially for the price. In his words, it is nearly as good as Schmidt & Bender but S&B does have a slight edge at full magnification on the edges of the image.

The seller also mentioned that the clarity is favorable to his S&B. Granted, he could be blowing smoke to sell a scope but compared with other reviews his claim seems believable. He did not mention the S&B model. I can message the seller and ask him what model his S&B is if you your friend would like.

I’ve never owned a S&B so all I can do is take their word for it.
    Not to hate at all, a $1,000 is not slumming.
    And dont think it is, but.
    In reality it's the difference between a Yugo and a 930 Porsche. You can see the difference between a $1,000 Vortex Viper PST and a $2,000 Leupold MK4 or a night force scope.
    Then look through a MK4 and through a $3,500 S&B.
    Also with higher end scopes it comes out with actually using on all the time, say shooting F Class with constantly cranking on the zoom and turrets changing wind and elevation.
    I'm not even going to talk about the advantages with low light and more expensive scopes.

I'm now playing with 4 Vortex scopes that I bought this summer. Two were $450.00 each and the others right at a $1,000 each.
    We will see how they hold up to the rigorous use they will get here.

I have nothing in these scopes, I used my besties gambling points to buy them.
    We will see if I find out what I believe will happen to them.

1000001564.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    After CGW called me, they explained that they had a run of the SA/DA straight triggers from a supplier that were .015 long causing the bottom of the trigger to touch the back of the trigger guard preventing the SA to break. They thought they had caught all of them from being sent in kits, but the one S_R received was NG! Anyways CGW has a correct trigger on its way to my address. Thanks to David and his crew at CGW!
    Will you please explain the difference with the internals between the 85 and 75 pistols?

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    None of them I want to sell as I’m smitten by them although a DW ECP will prolly get sold off here before long. we will meet up at the range one day when I’m not working and you can poke some holes in some paper. I’m turning my application in at the club this week.

Last edited:

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    Will you please explain the difference with the internals between the 85 and 75 pistols?

On CZ's with no modifications both the 85C and the 75 Pre-B do not have the firing pin block system that consist of the block and it's spring and the FPB lifter arm and its spring. The 85B & 75B have the FP block. The 85C & 75 Pre-B firing pin is secured by FP block stop and the 85B & 75B FP is secured by a FP retaining pin through the slide. The 85B & 75B have a FP with cuts that catch the FP block when the lifter arm is in the down position. As you pull the trigger the lifter arm moves upward allowing the FP free travel to the primer. Both 85's have an Ambi safety, some 75 are Ambi. The 85C & 75 Pre-B have a wider sear than an 85B & 75B. The 85 has the better Combat trigger shoe with overtravel adjustment.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    On CZ's with no modifications both the 85C and the 75 Pre-B do not have the firing pin block system that consist of the block and it's spring and the FPB lifter arm and its spring. The 85B & 75B have the FP block. The 85C firing pin is secured by FP block stop and the 85B & 75B FP is secured by a FP retaining pin through the slide. The 85B & 75B have a FP with cuts that catch the FP block when the lifter arm is in the down position. As you pull the trigger the lifter arm moves upward allowing the FP free travel to the primer. Both 85's have an Ambi safety, some 75 are Ambi. The 85C has a wider sear than an 85B & 75B. The 85 has the better Combat trigger shoe with overtravel adjustment.
    Is one better than the other?
    If so what makes it better?

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Not to hate at all, a $1,000 is not slumming.
    And dont think it is, but.
    In reality it's the difference between a Yugo and a 930 Porsche. You can see the difference between a $1,000 Vortex Viper PST and a $2,000 Leupold MK4 or a night force scope.
    Then look through a MK4 and through a $3,500 S&B.
    Also with higher end scopes it comes out with actually using on all the time, say shooting F Class with constantly cranking on the zoom and turrets changing wind and elevation.
    I'm not even going to talk about the advantages with low light and more expensive scopes.

I'm now playing with 4 Vortex scopes that I bought this summer. Two were $450.00 each and the others right at a $1,000 each.
    We will see how they hold up to the rigorous use they will get here.

I have nothing in these scopes, I used my besties gambling points to buy them.
    We will see if I find out what I believe will happen to them.

View attachment 382835
    I agree with everything you said. However, it sounds like the ETR is a different animal compared to other comparable brands and the turrets are one of the areas where the ETR stands out. And I don’t mean Athlon, I mean the ETR specifically. It has a completely revamped turret and internal adjustment system that is precision CNC machined from stainless steel. The turrets and adjustment system is unique to the ETR and a different system from what Athlon uses on everything else. Rex, a shooting instructor, says in his review that the ETR is the only Chinese manufactured scope that he’s tested and found to run 100% perfect tracking through the full range of adjustment. Is it German perfection? No. But a lot of people are surprised at how much the gap has closed. He goes into a lot more detail about it. If you’re really bored you can watch his 40 minute review.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    Is one better than the other?
    If so what makes it better?
    For a stock CZ I would choose the 85 Combat for the reasons below from CZ USA description! Look for a used one as the 85 Combat was discontinued in 2016.

The CZ 85 Combat adds a fully adjustable rear sight, extended magazine release, drop-free magazine and overtravel adjustment on the trigger. The Combat designation comes from the lack of a firing pin block safety, allowing the replacement of the firing pin without tools.

Ambidextrous features include safety levers, slide stop levers and a reversible magazine release. The lack of a firing pin safety gives the 85 Combat a slight advantage in the trigger pull department, making it a long-time favorite of competition shooters.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    On CZ's with no modifications both the 85C and the 75 Pre-B do not have the firing pin block system that consist of the block and it's spring and the FPB lifter arm and its spring. The 85B & 75B have the FP block. The 85C firing pin is secured by FP block stop and the 85B & 75B FP is secured by a FP retaining pin through the slide. The 85B & 75B have a FP with cuts that catch the FP block when the lifter arm is in the down position. As you pull the trigger the lifter arm moves upward allowing the FP free travel to the primer. Both 85's have an Ambi safety, some 75 are Ambi. The 85C has a wider sear than an 85B & 75B. The 85 has the better Combat trigger shoe with overtravel adjustment.
    Awesome, thank you.
    I have a strait 85 that Ive owned a long time, its not a combat model. It came with fixed sights. Looking under the trigger will a adj screw be visible?
    Will a 85 ambi parts fit on a 75 B? C? pistol.

I wish I would have realized the work you do when we met last year, I probably would have left you with one of the ones we had on top of buying the 75C pistol if you were interested in working on it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I agree with everything you said. However, it sounds like the ETR is a different animal compared to other comparable brands and the turrets are one of the areas where the ETR stands out. And I don’t mean Athlon, I mean the ETR specifically. It has a completely revamped turret and internal adjustment system that is precision CNC machined from stainless steel. The turrets and adjustment system is unique to the ETR and a different system from what Athlon uses on everything else. Rex, a shooting instructor, says in his review that the ETR is the only Chinese manufactured scope that he’s tested and found to run 100% perfect tracking through the full range of adjustment. Is it German perfection? No. But a lot of people are surprised at how much the gap has closed. He goes into a lot more detail about it. If you’re really bored you can watch his 40 minute review.

I will watch it, Thank you

Top Bottom