The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Being still wound-up from yesterday, I couldn't sleep until past 2AM, so I slept in until 10AM.
    My left eye is still weeping since yesterday, but there were very explicit instruction to "not touch it for 24hrs.". That's tough when stuff is running down your face !
    The trials of getting old.

As @JayCo suggested, I'm going for full-body therapy, and have some freshly dug ginseng drying on the rack. The tea will be therapeutic.

These are 6-16 yr. old roots.
    i-Cvn84vr-L.jpg

You know what I like ! :cool:

...my root is a bit older than that.... B^)

stale_ranch

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    Evening fellas. Hope everyone is holding up alright.

In other news, I received a defective trigger from CGW. The Wizard was doing the install today and texts me letting me know that it doesn’t break even when pulled back all the way. Should hear back from CGW tomorrow or Friday but it’s still kind of a headache.

Side note, glad the Wizard is doing it, if it were me installing it and I realized it wasn’t working I would have chalked it up to my lack of skill and descended into another prodigy situation all over again. Safe to say I’m glad I’m hands off this time.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    A couple weeks ago we were discussing scopes and my patience has paid off! I jumped on a deal and ended up with a higher end scope than I was initially looking for. It’s an Athlon Ares ETR UHD 4.5-30x56. I’ve read/watched many reviews saying it is on par or better than top tier scopes like the Razor HD and nearly as good as Schmidt & Bender. Ultra High Definition/Extreme low dispersion glass, 34mm tube, stainless turrets and internals, generous 3.9” eye relief. I’m sure I will not be disappointed.

The details on Athlon’s website

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A couple weeks ago we were discussing scopes and my patience has paid off! I jumped on a deal and ended up with a higher end scope than I was initially looking for. It’s an Athlon Ares ETR UHD 4.5-30x56. I’ve read/watched many reviews saying it is on par or better than top tier scopes like the Razor HD and nearly as good as Schmidt & Bender. Ultra High Definition/Extreme low dispersion glass, 34mm tube, stainless turrets and internals, generous 3.9” eye relief. I’m sure I will not be disappointed.

The details on Athlon’s website

Asking for a friend, which Schmidt Bender is it nearly as good as?

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Asking for a friend, which Schmidt Bender is it nearly as good as?
    They didn’t give a specific model. One reviewer is a long range shooting instructor. He started chronicling the experiences he had with various scopes that would come through his classes. After he saw several Athlon Ares ETRs come through his class he gathered enough information to give an experienced review. He prefers Schmidt & Bender along with some of his fellow competitors and instructors. Each of them were impressed with the Ares ETR, especially for the price. In his words, it is nearly as good as Schmidt & Bender but S&B does have a slight edge at full magnification on the edges of the image.

The seller also mentioned that the clarity is favorable to his S&B. Granted, he could be blowing smoke to sell a scope but compared with other reviews his claim seems believable. He did not mention the S&B model. I can message the seller and ask him what model his S&B is if you your friend would like.

I’ve never owned a S&B so all I can do is take their word for it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    They didn’t give a specific model. One reviewer is a long range shooting instructor. He started chronicling the experiences he had with various scopes that would come through his classes. After he saw several Athlon Ares ETRs come through his class he gathered enough information to give an experienced review. He prefers Schmidt & Bender along with some of his fellow competitors and instructors. Each of them were impressed with the Ares ETR, especially for the price. In his words, it is nearly as good as Schmidt & Bender but S&B does have a slight edge at full magnification on the edges of the image.

The seller also mentioned that the clarity is favorable to his S&B. Granted, he could be blowing smoke to sell a scope but compared with other reviews his claim seems believable. He did not mention the S&B model. I can message the seller and ask him what model his S&B is if you your friend would like.

I’ve never owned a S&B so all I can do is take their word for it.
    My Jeep Grand Cherokee is nearly as good as a Bentley Bentayga.

:stickpoke:

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    Evening fellas. Hope everyone is holding up alright.

In other news, I received a defective trigger from CGW. The Wizard was doing the install today and texts me letting me know that it doesn’t break even when pulled back all the way. Should hear back from CGW tomorrow or Friday but it’s still kind of a headache.

Side note, glad the Wizard is doing it, if it were me installing it and I realized it wasn’t working I would have chalked it up to my lack of skill and descended into another prodigy situation all over again. Safe to say I’m glad I’m hands off this time.
    After CGW called me, they explained that they had a run of the SA/DA straight triggers from a supplier that were .015 long causing the bottom of the trigger to touch the back of the trigger guard preventing the SA to break. They thought they had caught all of them from being sent in kits, but the one S_R received was NG! Anyways CGW has a correct trigger on its way to my address. Thanks to David and his crew at CGW!

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    My Jeep Grand Cherokee is nearly as good as a Bentley Bentayga.

:stickpoke:
    Man, tough crowd in here today. Yes, it’s subjective based on several people’s opinion that used both and that is only in the context of target/competition shooting. No one is claiming the ETR is combat rugged or “as good as” the Schmidt. Even that people mention it in the same realm regarding clarity says a lot to me. I’ve never owned a scope of this level and I’m excited to get it on the range and stretch out some distance. I think it’ll be a great pairing with my 260AI.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Man, tough crowd in here today. Yes, it’s subjective based on several people’s opinion that used both and that is only in the context of target/competition shooting. No one is claiming the ETR is combat rugged or “as good as” the Schmidt. Even that people mention it in the same realm regarding clarity says a lot to me. I’ve never owned a scope of this level and I’m excited to get it on the range and stretch out some distance. I think it’ll be a great pairing with my 260AI.
    Easy now...just giving you hard a time. Remember, I bought the Jeep not the Bentley. :cool:

I would probably argue that a comparable S&B is not "nearly as good as" as its $4000-$6000 price tag! I have no doubt that the ETR will perform at a level well above its price point.

Over the last 10-20 years the gap in scope quality and clarity has narrowed dramatically across the price ranges. You don't have to spend $1000s anymore to get a top-top level scope that is clear and tracks.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I've been happy with my Athlon scope, and it's one of the lower-tier models.
    The Deacon owns one like yours, and he loves it.

Top Bottom