The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had an 8.3" barrel in my AR9. It was long enough that some of the 140gr-147gr would go super. Federal 150gr Syntac ammo is a little more expensive, but stays sub.
    Gotcha. I think my scorpion is the primary fun gun, but will be nice to be able to switch the suppressor around and take ad antshe of the trilug setup.

Isn't the syntec ammo coated? No concerns there in a suppressor? Seems like I recently saw a thread where folks said it was fine, and I'm guessing it's been OK for you?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Isn't the syntec ammo coated? No concerns there in a suppressor? Seems like I recently saw a thread where folks said it was fine, and I'm guessing it's been OK for you?

Yes, Syntech is coated. I haven't had any issues with it and suppressors. However, at the last FGE, AllenM did not want me to use it in his suppressed full auto.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes, Syntech is coated. I haven't had any issues with it and suppressors. However, at the last FGE, AllenM did not want me to use it in his suppressed full auto.
    Does polymer coating do something different with full auto than semiautomatic with suppressors? In my semiautomatics it's very clean no fouling in my barrel. I do not use a suppressor for obvious reasons lol. I've got suppressed sound naturally.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Morning everyone, getting ready for the second cup of coffee, remember i'm an hour behind. Over the weekend I did get a chance to go over that S&W 64-5 I bought. Cleaned the action up a bit, got all the scratches out, did a radical recrowning, chamfered the cylinder holes and beadblasted.

wmnf0IKl.jpg

ilM8jiUl.jpg

N7hOmNyl.jpg

Ul0je9Ql.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Does polymer coating do something different with full auto than semiautomatic with suppressors? In my semiautomatics it's very clean no fouling in my barrel. I do not use a suppressor for obvious reasons lol. I've got suppressed sound naturally.
    The only difference would be rate or fire and the added heat in the barrel and suppressor.

The full auto owner didn't want to take any chance gunking up the suppressor...my words and assumption and with his greater experience and knowledge, I accepted that.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The only difference would be rate or fire and the added heat in the barrel and suppressor.

The full auto owner didn't want to take any chance gunking up the suppressor...my words and assumption and with his greater experience and knowledge, I accepted that.
    That's what I was wondering if something like that was the reason.
    Would love to find out more on this.
    So you think it's just a heat, suppressor thing correct.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    That's what I was wondering if something like that was the reason.
    Would love to find out more on this.
    So you think it's just a heat, suppressor thing correct.
    There have been some reports of unstable rounds/keyholing on the interwebs and someone I know got 1500 rounds replaced by federal for same reason. I would think keyholing would be really bad for a suppressor.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    There have been some reports of unstable rounds/keyholing on the interwebs and someone I know got 1500 rounds replaced by federal for same reason. I would think keyholing would be really bad for a suppressor.
    Ah I reload using polymer coated from Hoosier and Summit City bullets. Never had any keyhole.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Federal Syntech Action Pistol 9mm Luger 150 Grain ammo is specifically designed for action shooting sports' power factor requirements. No more power than is required for pistol length barrels. That's why they don't go supersonic in the longer PCC barrels.

Top Bottom