The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I picked-up a new item .... this one to wear, because what real man wouldn't want to hang a Roman Arrowhead around their neck ?!? :cool:

(Credit: below text is from the MiniMuseum website)
    These particular arrowheads are made from bronze and feature a trilobate design. The long, three-bladed heads were made to make short work of armor, puncturing deep into their targets and penetrating any protections they wore. They come from numerous sites across Europe and date to the 1st Century.

It's not in bad shape for being 2,000 years old. Caesar was self-promoted to emperor in the year 33 .... from then on, these Roman yutes went on to conquer the known world. They weren't nice people !

(my photos, of course --- click to make BIG)
    i-64cXtCd-X2.jpg

I tried to photograph from the top, but it's hard to focus on the point .... it's as sharp as a needle.
    BUT .... can you see the torn bronze on the bottom edge ? They look almost like serrations. It appears to me that this point drove through some armor !
    That's going to be my story ! :D

i-cCdG79S-X2.jpg

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I picked-up a new item .... this one to wear, because what real man wouldn't want to hang a Roman Arrowhead around their neck ?!? :cool:

It's not in bad shape for being 2,000 years old. Caesar was self-promoted to emperor in the year 33 .... from then on, these Roman yutes went on to conquer the known world. They weren't nice people !

i-64cXtCd-X2.jpg

I tried to photograph from the top, but it's hard to focus on the point .... it's as sharp as a needle.
    BUT .... can you see the torn bronze on the bottom edge ? They look almost like serrations. It appears to me that this point drove through some armor !

i-cCdG79S-X2.jpg
    Tiny aperture, lots of light, depth of field should go up enough to see the point.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

i-64cXtCd-X2.jpg

i-cCdG79S-X2.jpg
    That is cool...I wonder if I could put that on my motorcycle instead of a bell? Oh wait....I don't have a motorcycle....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Power out again, I think the company is simply going to have to clean up the loggers mess that they left down the road. They are going to be out here a lot otherwise.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I try to keep my eyes to the ground for arrowheads, but have only found three around here. I always think digging half a million feet a year might turn something up.
    Never thought about Roman or other culture arrowheads.

For a long time no one really knew where the Battle of Teutoburg Forest took place. Big concentrations of arrow heads like MM's finally helped locate other artifacts and the battle could be reconstructed.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'll finish up this page about something I learned.
    It was remarkable to me that bronze (copper + tin) would hold-up so well.

It turns out that (in most conditons) bronze forms an outer coating of copper oxide /copper carbonate, which keeps it from additional oxidation, and protects it.

I wish that the dinosaurs had been made of bronze !!!

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I try to keep my eyes to the ground for arrowheads, but have only found three around here. I always think digging half a million feet a year might turn something up.
    Never thought about Roman or other culture arrowheads.
    Who knows, there could be a mammoth in that dirt! One was found outside of Greenfield!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    For a long time no one really knew where the Battle of Teutoburg Forest took place. Big concentrations of arrow heads like MM's finally helped locate other artifacts and the battle could be reconstructed.

The way that I understand it, these bronze trilobate arrowheads were affixed to
    "fall-away" shafts.
    The Romans liked to add insult to injury: after the arrow kills you, they scoop up the shafts, push on new heads, and kill more of their enemy !
    RUTHLESS !
    (those sneaky Germans used a Roman trained general, who knew just how to beat them, because he knew their tactics)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The way that I understand it, these bronze trilobate arrowheads were affixed to
    "fall-away" shafts.
    The Romans liked to add insult to injury: after the arrow kills you, they scoop up the shafts, push on new heads, and kill more of their enemy !
    RUTHLESS !
    (those sneaky Germans used a Roman trained general, who knew just how to beat them, because he knew their tactics)
    An amateur archeologist doing some random coin hunting found the site in 1988. Before that there had been much speculation about it's location but nothing solid for 2000 years. A German university team started digging where the amateur had made his find and slowly unearthed the evidence of the long battle.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    An amateur archeologist doing some random coin hunting found the site in 1988. Before that there had been much speculation about it's location but nothing solid for 2000 years. A German university team started digging where the amateur had made his find and slowly unearthed the evidence of the long battle.
    Wow .... very cool. I wonder if the amateur was able to keep any of his finds.
    European governments are evidently famous for sweeping-in, and scooping the good stuff.

Top Bottom