THE CZickness LII....Autumn or Fall? No matter...season is right for a CZ!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Speaking of caregivers, I'm down in FL and helped my brother today donate about half a 10x10 storage unit of our parents belongings to Goodwill today. My mom's beautiful Curio cabinets actually went to a very nice lady who we met as she was helping pack up her college aged daughter's apartment into a storage unit in the same facility and had the extra space. She really admired them and we told her we were going to donate them to goodwill but she could have them. Her husband will be thrilled I'm sure ;-)

Saved us a couple of trips. Still made 6 trips with 2 vehicles to donate book cases, and dresser, etc.

Consolidated down to a 10x5 for my dad's stamp collection and the few things he might still need, until we can figure out a worthy way to get dad a few $ from the stamps to help with his living expenses. Also needed to cut the cost on storage as it was stuff he didn't need that was eating $.

Mom passed last year, and dad's in memory care. It was time.

Moved them from house to assisted living in 2021. Moved what mom had in assisted living to storage in 2022 when she passed, and now cutting storage way down.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think this illustrates an issue with this group getting too big and letting too many new people in without vetting them first. CM and BA were big on vetting people before letting them in and letting them attend events. I don't think either of them would be happy about this situation.
    Damn, i knew shortly after I got in someone would realize the neighborhood went to hell...

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Speaking of caregivers, I'm down in FL and helped my brother today donate about half a 10x10 storage unit of our parents belongings to Goodwill today. My mom's beautiful Curio cabinets actually went to a very nice lady who we met as she was helping pack up her college aged daughter's apartment into a storage unit in the same facility and had the extra space. She really admired them and we told her we were going to donate them to goodwill but she could have them. Her husband will be thrilled I'm sure ;-)

Saved us a couple of trips. Still made 6 trips with 2 vehicles to donate book cases, and dresser, etc.

Consolidated down to a 10x5 for my dad's stamp collection and the few things he might still need, until we can figure out a worthy way to get dad a few $ from the stamps to help with his living expenses. Also needed to cut the cost on storage as it was stuff he didn't need that was eating $.

Moved them from house to assisted living in 2021. Moved what mom had in assisted living to storage in 2022 when she passed, and now cutting storage way down.
    A real mix of emotions for anyone to go through. Find a little beach time/cold beverage time to relax.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I think this illustrates an issue with this group getting too big and letting too many new people in without vetting them first. CM and BA were big on vetting people before letting them in and letting them attend events. I don't think either of them would be happy about this situation.
    I'll agree with this. I'm an original coin holding member of LT6. This group is a spinoff of that with CM and BA.

I agree that neither of them would be happy with this situation. I'm not in here often enough anymore to really speak to "members" and their contributions to the group online or otherwise. Sometimes I feel like I'm invited by default because I've been around so long, and for that I'm thankful.

For the record - I own a CM 1911. It will never be for sale.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County

Your a good son for doing this.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

That's tough stuff to deal with, WS. Both of my parents have been long gone, of course, but I remember going through similar consolidations, and loss.
    Take care of yourself.... it's a tough row to hoe, for sure.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I'll agree with this. I'm an original coin holding member of LT6. This group is a spinoff of that with CM and BA.

I agree that neither of them would be happy with this situation. I'm not in here often enough anymore to really speak to "members" and their contributions to the group online or otherwise. Sometimes I feel like I'm invited by default because I've been around so long, and for that I'm thankful.

I know you are always invited.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Wow ... step away to get some work done and things now look different.

I'm not inclined to shun anybody, but did have to start using INGOs ignore feature if I wanted to continue playing on this playground (and to uphold a promise I made to Big Tanker). I say this to point out that things change ... everything changes ... sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse.

Radar won the raffle fair and square without any stipulations on how he was to care for the prize. He's just doing what's best for him in his personal situation. Honestly, CM did the same thing.

However, we might be able to correct this misunderstanding if we pull together. I don't have enough cash in the gun fund (or any of the trade options noted), but I do have a crisp $100 bill that I'll gladly chip in. Maybe if we pool our funds, the blue beauty can be reaquired, then reraffled with new rules surrounding the dispositon of the pistol?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    However, we might be able to correct this misunderstanding if we pull together. I don't have enough cash in the gun fund (or any of the trade options noted), but I do have a crisp $100 bill that I'll gladly chip in. Maybe if we pool our funds, the blue beauty can be reaquired, then reraffled with new rules surrounding the dispositon of the pistol?

This has been mentioned. If he or someone wants to run with that....

Not sure we need rules of possession but there was a reason why the raffle was confined promoted just to this thread.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

Having just gone through this with MIL, I can relate.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area

My brother and I had to do that with Dad's storage unit. Neither of us live anywhere close to where Dad and his wife live. One of my sisters does live in town. So after Dad passed we took a day and hit the storage unit while we were both still in town.

At least it wasn't like when my wife and I had to go through her Dad's house. The basement was filled to the rafters, it took us a ton of time every other weekend for over 6 months.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener's mom reluctantly went into assisted living this year. I think it's tougher for some, particularly people who have always been independent. She grew up agricultural and remained so her whole life, which extends back to the Great Depression. It's been tough for her kids to sort through decades of stuff.

Time and medical conditions catch up to all of us, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. MM made a good observation about people and memories, really that's all we get to take with us.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I might be wrong on the price
    Never doubt yourself....

For the watchers of this thread.....non-pcr sights work just leave that odd gap.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We've been fortunate in getting some great new folks in this thread as time passes. There are some that wandered off and others that we simply lost. Lots of good points made regarding the blue beauty. It does feel like it would if you entrusted your dad's car to a friend only to find out that they traded it in on something else.

As it was pointed out, there were no rules of participation. I think that it was assumed that everyone shared the special bond with Cindy and Tim's memory.. But, as Tony Randall once said, when you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The gardener's mom reluctantly went into assisted living this year. I think it's tougher for some, particularly people who have always been independent. She grew up agricultural and remained so her whole life, which extends back to the Great Depression. It's been tough for her kids to sort through decades of stuff.

Time and medical conditions catch up to all of us, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. MM made a good observation about people and memories, really that's all we get to take with us.
    My mom did not do well with it, but she also didn't let us in on a lot of stuff before it got to that point.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

I'm with you on the never selling. Have a lovely example myself that CM was kind enough to let me purchase. Also not for sale.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Mr. Scott is an aquaintence of mine on a worldwide photo site. This photo is a self-portrait (he's 78 now). In August he lost his wife, Donna, who liked to come with him to this favorite photo taking location. This is a tribute photo to Donna. It needs no explanation.

It starkly speaks to some things that we've been discussing.

1698278009244.png

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon

I’m glad you’re able be there. We’re in similar situation with my wife’s mom. Her Dad passed almost 2 years ago. And we’ve been making more frequent trips to Wabash to visit her Mom and help her with things. This trips big project is cleaning out the garage. Things Dad loved most: Jesus, people, books and guns, in that order. He made the garage his own personal library and office. We’ve donated a lot of his library to pastors and a bible college but there’s still a lot left. The rest will go to local charity/donation centers. It’s been two years and it’s still heavy emotionally to change his space. But like you said “It’s time”. Mom has a bad back and hobbles to walk. Winter is coming and she can’t shovel and salt her own drive or scrape her windshield. Her wonderful neighbor helps with that. Anyway she needs the garage to be a garage she can park in. Anyway that was a long way to say “I get it”. I hope your time down there is full of good memories and the making of new ones.

It’s been an emotional day all around. Yesterday we found out my wife’s Aunt passed away suddenly. At least we already had the rest of the week planned to be here with her mom. As I type this, sitting here looking at Dad’s empty recliner. He was my best shooting buddy. That can never be replaced, but I’m thankful to this group. Y’all have helped fill a small part of that void that was left. Not just the “gun stuff” but the community. Thank you.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom