• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    In other hobby news, I've now officially loaded myself up with projects for this winter, who wants to take bets at how many actually get done? Added one new antique bicycle and going in the next hour to add another.... That's 6 bicycle projects that need completed by spring time :faint: .. I will say, after thrashing on the new one today to get it mocked up, the garage floor was a maze of parts, tools and me laying on the floor. Felt like I was 13 again!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In other hobby news, I've now officially loaded myself up with projects for this winter, who wants to take bets at how many actually get done? Added one new antique bicycle and going in the next hour to add another.... That's 6 bicycle projects that need completed by spring time :faint: .. I will say, after thrashing on the new one today to get it mocked up, the garage floor was a maze of parts, tools and me laying on the floor. Felt like I was 13 again!

Man I wish I had tracked all the hours spent as a lad building, modifying, flipping bikes. Great times.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Man I wish I had tracked all the hours spent as a lad building, modifying, flipping bikes. Great times.
    I've been pretty much non stop at it since I was 12.... Very fun and addicting hobby, also starting to get pretty expensive since the bicycles I'm after now date before WWII. What is this flipping thing you speak of? I've not heard of that before. Must be an old timey thing. Nothing ever seems to leave me anymore.... I might not be able to tell you what 2+2 equals, but I could tell you every single bike I've owned over the years, why I bought it, how much I paid and where I got it. I am normal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been pretty much non stop at it since I was 12.... Very fun and addicting hobby, also starting to get pretty expensive since the bicycles I'm after now date before WWII. What is this flipping thing you speak of? I've not heard of that before. Must be an old timey thing. Nothing ever seems to leave me anymore.... I might not be able to tell you what 2+2 equals, but I could tell you every single bike I've owned over the years, why I bought it, how much I paid and where I got it. I am normal.

I would dig out old rusty 20" schwins around the area. Drag them home and make Stingrays out of them. Sell them, do it again and again. Money in a box under my bed.
    Made a spoke truing stand and started putting the 3 speed hubs from the English 3 speed bikes folks had laying around. Spoke up the hub in place of the Bendix brake hub, weld a spud on the frame and the fork and use the clamp brakes on them. I had a multi-speed 20" stingray long before anything like that was marketed.
    Built and sold a butt load of those. I was wheeling and dealing. Saved/made enough money to buy and pay cash for my 1st motorcycle. A Suzuki 120 street & Trail.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You could have opened up the conversation with your credentials and opinion. It appears you have a deep knowledge of the metallurgy involved. Respect for that.

Credentials, credentials, we don't need no stinking credentials .....:laugh:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I did AllenM's 1911 trigger class today and took the CZ 1911A1 along as the project gun. If anyone has any interest in tuning 1911s, do yourself a favor and attend one of his classes. He takes you through the process step by step with an incredible level of attention to detail. My goal for the CZ 1911 was to have a good trigger that breaks at about 3 1/4 lbs. On my trigger gauge at home, it's a perfect 3 lb, 4oz every time. It used to have a bit of creep, but now is absolutely smooth and crisp. Since it was a nice day, I stopped by MCFG on the way home and ran a quick 50 rounds through it. I love that gun!

There were three of us in the class and I was the only one tuning stock parts. The others were upgrading factory parts with new, quality parts from either Ed Brown, EGW or Wilson ( I think there were Wilson parts in there somewhere). I was the only one tuning a carry gun, so I kept my goals a bit more conservative, but the others were tuning competition and range guns. They both left with sweet, sub 3 lb triggers that rival the best I've felt. As I had said, if you get the chance to attend one of AllenM's classes, do it. Even if you have only one 1911 and just want the satisfaction of knowing how it works, it's worth the time and money.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I did AllenM's 1911 trigger class today and took the CZ 1911A1 along as the project gun. If anyone has any interest in tuning 1911s, do yourself a favor and attend one of his classes. He takes you through the process step by step with an incredible level of attention to detail. My goal for the CZ 1911 was to have a good trigger that breaks at about 3 1/4 lbs. On my trigger gauge at home, it's a perfect 3 lb, 4oz every time. It used to have a bit of creep, but now is absolutely smooth and crisp. Since it was a nice day, I stopped by MCFG on the way home and ran a quick 50 rounds through it. I love that gun!

There were three of us in the class and I was the only one tuning stock parts. The others were upgrading factory parts with new, quality parts from either Ed Brown, EGW or Wilson ( I think there were Wilson parts in there somewhere). I was the only one tuning a carry gun, so I kept my goals a bit more conservative, but the others were tuning competition and range guns. They both left with sweet, sub 3 lb triggers that rival the best I've felt. As I had said, if you get the chance to attend one of AllenM's classes, do it. Even if you have only one 1911 and just want the satisfaction of knowing how it works, it's worth the time and money.

I might have to look into that. Sounds like it would be fun :yesway:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers

I would have loved to take that 1911 trigger class, but can't be in 2 places at once.
    Today, I went up to Wildcat Valley in Lafayette for their 1st annual 2-gun shoot to benefit Honor Flight.
    5 courses of fire. 2 rifle only, 2 handgun only, and 1 combo.
    Had a ton of fun and helped raise some money for Honor Flights.
    Also picked up a big fat bag of brass, so it was a great day all around.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Allen is an amazing person. I trust him with anything I need done beyond my skill sets.
    He is doing a custom build for me as soon as I get all the parts together.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Got my RAMI yesterday. Here it is with cousin SP01 :D

czbro3.JPG

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom